Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Help Needed: How to improve from 680 to 750+ in a month [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hmm, I can't agree with dabral that it's a waste of time to revisit problems. Most people burn through way too much material because they don't spend enough time mastering the problems they've done. You should spend the majority of your time reviewing previous work. Below is a post in which I suggest some techniques for doing that (along with some sources of material if you need them).

where-to-practice-after-og-154845.html#p1239328
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help Needed: How to improve from 680 to 750+ in a month [#permalink]
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies.

DmitryFarber,
You are right. Understanding and analyzing my mistakes is indeed helping me because my accuracy in solving OG questions has increased.
I will start giving mock tests soon to analyze my progress, but I feel that my CR is still not where I want it to be. I have been solving CRs and trying to create some strategies, but its tricky to understand a complex argument, think about what I want to look for and find the right answer choice in 1-1:30 mins. Any suggestions there?

Thanks !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pathomkar,

If you're still building your skills in CR, then you shouldn't be focused on the speed of your work. Accuracy comes first. As a general rule, a typical CR prompt should take about 2 minutes to solve (on average), so if you're attempting to solve CR questions in 1 to 1.5 minutes each, then that might be hurting your accuracy.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree that 1-1:30 is a tough (and unnecessary) goal to set for yourself. That's the pace you have to set on the LSAT, so it's humanly possible, but you don't need to go there. Having said that, how do we LSAT pros get there? By making the process of analyzing the argument, identifying assumptions, and predicting possible answers as routine and comfortable as possible. As you work through more problems and review them carefully, you should start to spot some patterns in the arguments. "Here's another one where they assume no unforeseen complications interfere with the plan. Here's another one where they switch terms from the premise to the conclusion." As you notice these things, you'll be more and more likely to predict the correct answer, and you'll save time on the back end. That may well take you 2 minutes, but 2 minutes is just fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC, DmitryFarber,

I am trying to get CRs done in that time frame to allow more time for RCs. I see my accuracy increased when I am solving CRs daily/on alternate days and I would like to continue that without too many gaps. The main thing is that CR and SC cover most of the verbal test so I would like to increase my accuracy for them. As you said, I am practicing on detecting patterns in CR and it does help, but the problem is I have done OG, mgmat prep, kaplan at least twice in last 2 months .

Going forward I am thinking of taking tests frequently, while practicing some good quality material to improve my strategies and to increase accuracy. Since I have solved the OG, mgmat, and kaplan already, I was planning to buy the gmatprep question pack1, which has about 404 questions in total. I think this book might work as a good supplement, in addition to taking tests. I thought of continuing to practice the material I have, but I cannot gauge my accuracy if I see the same questions too many times.

Do you have any other ideas about which practice material I can use during this phase or what overall approach to use during this phase (basically abt 3 weeks before the exam. I am planning on targeting april end to take the test)?

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot