Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help needed in B-School selection

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help needed in B-School selection [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 18:05
----

Last edited by vikramaditya on 20 Nov 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help needed in B-School selection [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 17:41
For Haas and Ross, it seems like you have a good chance. I think in all your bschool apps, you're going to want to emphasize:
- your formal and informal leadership experiences at work
- your passion for the energy sector and why you want to stay in it post-mba
- why you're involved with the non-profit (ie make sure schools know that you didn't do it just to get into school!)

Since you have two years of WE and are relatively young by bschool standards, I think adcom might pay extra attention to the "why now" aspect of your essays. So I'd be sure to have a good reason for why school now, as opposed to, say, two years from now is key to your achieving your goals.

Sorry, I can't really speak to the indian schools!

good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Help needed in B-School selection [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:09
Isa,

Thanks a lot for the advice. The "why now" question is something that I have been grappling with for some time,and I need to convince myself before I get going on the essays.

Thanks once again :) .
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help needed in B-School selection [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 07:17
You have extra-strong profile and your age works in your favor, definitelly. You have good chance at any school you apply to, especially the two schools you have listed. If I were in your shoes, I would certainly apply to Stanford. You have pretty decent chance to be invited to interview overthere, and than who knows... I say "decent chance" because I think nobody can take Stanford for granted. That school is not that oriented to energy like Ross and Haas, but it is a great school that would open just about any door.

The other school I would recommend is Kellogg - excellent school both for your past experience and future goals. They have some amazing rotational GM programs overthere so you should be a fit.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Help needed in B-School selection [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 17:48
Pathfinder,

Thanks for the encouragement.I had thought that these schools were completely out of my reach due to my age and relative inexperience. Why do you say that age that works in my favor?

Would working for one more year(and looking at a 2011 admission) improve my chances? The problem is that I really dont think that I will be given more responsibility(read my own project) at work for the next 5 years atleast.Hence,my motivation to move up the curve by doing an MBA.
Re: Help needed in B-School selection   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2009, 17:48