Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP NEEDED REAL BADLY!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V23
GPA: 3.28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

HELP NEEDED REAL BADLY! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 17:26
Hi all,

I write this with mixed emotions. On one side I am really upset and on the other I still hope that I still can crack the GMAT. My score - 510 (Q36.V23).
It has been nearly 4 or 5 years since I last studied for anything competitive and I come from a Commerce background but I have always had my interest in Mathematics. I would not have gone through the academic rigors which a science undergrad would have but I still believe with hard work I can crack it.

I had 3 or max 4 months before registering for my GMAT which I took in the month of December 2013. I do not know if this time is considered sufficient for a decent GMAT score but I found it short and English with its complexity was exceedingly overwhelming. All through my schooling, though I conversed and was taught in English language the GMAT's English was completely new to me. So, I was kinda hopeless even before the exam when it came to English. I paid for the E-GMAT course offered online and boy was it even more complex and time consuming. I felt that their method of analyzing a sentence in sentence correction , though being exhaustive, was not practical in a real exam situation where one has to essentially solve it in under 1.6seconds (1.8 but considering RC questions). Apart from the E-GMAT I did go through the OG twice but still did not have a command over it. I completely lost it as I was nearing exam date and went into a freeze. Quants was pretty ok though I scored only 36, I can with more time understand better and also learn a couple shortcuts to tackle it within the time limit.

So, I request all the members to kindly give your inputs keeping the following in mind!

1. How should one approach quant problems?
2. Books or classes for both Q&E?
3. Is it a good idea to give GMAT again? (can I really improve)
4. English - what are the most effective and efficient ways of learning English for GMAT (not time consuming ones)?
5. For me the order of difficulty would be - SC, RC, CR.
6. If I have missed out anything please let me know.

Also, I have only 2 years of work experience and another 2 years of internship training in the areas of accounts and audit. Would I profile hold good if I apply for a decent B-School. I have a Bachelors in Commerce from the University of Madras, India and in all my enquiries with most B Schools in the US, 3 years of Indian Bachelors is not considered a US Bachelors equivalent unless it is from a division A University in India and mine is not. I am rather in a hopeless situation right now.

PLEASE ADVISE.
Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: HELP NEEDED REAL BADLY! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Of course you can improve if you devote more time to studying! You mentioned that the 3-4 months you spent studying for the GMAT the first time around, so if you still felt not fully prepared for the test, I am guessing that you would feel more prepared had you spent more time with the material. There are stories all over GMAT Club of people improving their scores several hundred points and then being admitted into their dream school, so I have no doubt that you can improve as well. Just persevere -- don't give up!

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: HELP NEEDED REAL BADLY! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 11:21
Get hold of the Manhattan GMAT's SC booklet. That is said to be the best resource around for SC. Make sure that you cover all the content before you delve into questions. Also taking mock CATs is a good way to iron out any issues with timing and mining out weak areas.

All the best.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Re: HELP NEEDED REAL BADLY!   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2014, 11:21