Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help NEEDED!!!!!SC is killing me!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Help NEEDED!!!!!SC is killing me!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 16:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey guys,
So I really need your help! I'm not a native speaker so SC has by far been the greatest challenge for me. I've already read up on Manhattan Foundations of GMAT Verbal to brush up on my grammar. Also, I'm half way through Manhattan SC book but I feel the lack of questions at the end of each chapter is a big hindrance in my prep. Each chapter refers you to OG problems, but I do not want to waste those questions just yet. I feel that the rules and concepts are just not sticking in my head mainly because I don't know what questions to practice on after reading each chapter. Could someone please tell me how they prepared for SC . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3439 [0], given: 183

Re: Help NEEDED!!!!!SC is killing me!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 19:58
Expert's post
Aisha,

You do need to practice questions after you learn a concept especially if you are a non native speaker. I am not sure how many questions MGMAT has in each chapter. I can give 2 suggestions:

1. Practice whatever questions MGMAT has at the end of each chapter and do them multiple times. Also search for questions corresponding to various concepts on the forum and do them. The bottom line is to make sure that you understand a concept well before you move on to another concept.

2. Try audio visual learning: Many non-natives use our course while studying MGMAT SC. Our SC course is designed for non-natives and contains over 450 problems that are spread across 33 concepts. In fact every concept file has a per-assessment and post assessment file with 10+ questions. We offer a very generous free trial. Take the free concepts and see if this mode of learning works for you. If it does then you can think about purchasing the course.

Let me know how it goes.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 10

Re: Help NEEDED!!!!!SC is killing me!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 22:16
Expert's post
Hi Aisha,

You should definitely follow up each chapter with OG problems. Our book is designed to teach the concepts you need, but it is important to practice these concepts in the context of real GMAT problems. Now, here's how to avoid "wasting" problems:

1) Do only a few problems at a time--for instance, 5 problems timed at about 6.5 minutes. Make sure you have committed to an answer for each problem.

2) After you complete your timed set, DO NOT look up the answers. Take some time to go through the problems again. Here's what you should be looking for:

*Why is each answer choice right or wrong? (Be as thorough as possible here.)
*How is the topic from the current chapter tested? What are the indicators that this topic is an issue?
*What answers can you eliminate using this issue?
*What other topics are tested? (Try to come up with eliminations for each topic.)
*Are there any traps or non-issues?
*Are there any choices that I don't like, but that I can't explain?
*Is there anything I didn't like about the answer I chose?
*If you were stuck between two choices, pay careful attention. How do the choices differ? What specific things make one different from the other?

3) Make a final deliberation--do you need to change your answer?

4) Check the answers and see how you did. Count a problem as wrong if you missed it initially, but make a note if caught the error in review.

5) Now that you know the answers, review again as needed. If you missed a problem, try to see what you did wrong. Don’t go to the explanation until you have gotten as far as you can on your own.

6) Check the explanations for all problems. On problems you got right, use the explanations to verify your thinking and check for any issues you might have missed. On problems you missed, see if there are concepts you need to review, or usages that seem to represent an exception to a rule.

7) Create a list of key takeaways and questions. What did you do well? What areas or topics do you need to review? Are there things that didn’t make sense in the problems or explanations? If needed, take your questions to the forums, or to a tutor.

As you can imagine, this process is rather time-consuming, but let me assure you that it will all be time well-spent! This way, you can also squeeze the most out of your first run through the OG. (Yes, you will probably want to run through these again. Once you know the material better, you will be able to analyze the problems on a deeper level. If you focus on the approach above, it won’t matter that much that you’ve done the problems before.)

In any case, you certainly don’t have to do *all* of the assigned problems in each topic. Start with a few of the lower-numbered problems and see how you do. You may want to return to some of them later. You may also want to save some problems in each topic, so that you can do sets of mixed problems once you’ve covered all the topics. Of course, you can also apply this approach to the other areas of the test. (In fact, you want to make sure that you don’t focus too exclusively on SC, or on verbal in general. Keep your practice balanced, even if you are strong in quant.)

If you’re still concerned about running out of problems, remember that there is also the Verbal Review (2nd edition). You can also purchase back editions (e.g. OG 10th edition, which has some overlap, but lots of problems you won’t have seen), or download pdfs of old paper tests from mba.com. ($30 for a set of 3) You should also have access to the SC question bank on our website.

Good luck!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Help NEEDED!!!!!SC is killing me!!!   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2012, 22:16