Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help needed to improve my Verbal SC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 03:04
Hi,

1) I am a non-native English speaker and from my 1st MGMAT CAT verbal was my weakest spot( 15 on verbal & 43 on quant).

2)I started with SC 1st with the MGMAT SC guide, but was put off by their lack of structure and overwhelming content.

3)I then moved to Aristotle SC grail : felt it was simple and good

- Read through their concepts slowly( 1st pass - took 10 days).
- Started with the 2nd pass of the book(This time read each chapter and started to practice the questions against each chapter, only 10% completed so far). Almost 2 weeks have passed now since I started with SC.

4) Originally, I thought of finishing the SC grail and then moving to MGMAT guide + OG12 Qs in a total of 3-4 weeks. But seemingly this is not enough. Understanding each concept, practicing the question and the analysis of the correct answer in the SC grail itself has taken up close to 2 weeks now. After this it looks like MGMAT SC guide would atleast take another 3-4 weeks.

5) I am now feeling discouraged and frustrated after I started with the SC topic. It looks like SC alone would take me at-least 3 months to read,practice and attain a good level of mastery. I am now unable to concentrate and my focus is disturbed.

I have read where people say that they had finished MGMAT SC guide in a week or 10days. Is this really the truth? or could be true for people who have a strong verbal baseline.

I wanted to take GMAT by the end of May'12( with a 3 month preperation time) - but now it looks like it's going to take me an eternity to step up my verbal and further strengthen the weak spots in quant.

6) Can somebody please advice me on a good 1 month strategy to strengthen my SC?
I spend 1-1.5 hrs per week day and 4-4.5 hrs on Sat and Sun.

7) I also heard about e-gmat course for non-native speakers. Is it really good and effective?

But I feel the price of $69 is a bit too much for SC alone( would be nice if test prep companies could price their offerings not only in dollars, but also taking into consideration the currency of the other not so rich countries). To somebody in US $69 could be a cakewalk, but for some other country currency it's a lot of money.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Bharath S
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 04:42
2)I started with SC 1st with the MGMAT SC guide, but was put off by their lack of structure and overwhelming content.
5)I have read where people say that they had finished MGMAT SC guide in a week or 10days. Is this really the truth? or could be true for people who have a strong verbal baseline.

I think that MGMAT SC has a good structure with clear content. SC Grail is easier than MGMAT SC ( in my opinion). There are 13 chapters in MGMAT SC; therefore if you study 2 chapters per day, you can finish it in a week.... You do not have to have a strong verbal baseline to do this because MGMAT SC does its job really well.
There is no quick-fix for SC. All you can do is practice, review mistake and practice. Read each chapter of MGMAT SC (+ SC Grail with the same topic), do the OG problems at the end of the section and return to the theory if you get wrong. Besides that , keep visiting the SC section in our forum.
Skip the chapter 9 - idioms (MGMAT SC). I mean do not memorize them.. You will be accustomed to the idioms with your practice.
I think you should do 25-30 SC per day... Hope it helps.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 06:39
The MGMAT SC is, what I consider, the premier source. It breaks down all the nuances of the english language.

One method that has been effective in raising my confidence in SC has been the continual application of the principles. Whether I'm writing a business email or typing a text message, I think to myself, "would this pass as correct in the GMAT?"

Anyways, if you have an iPhone, I highly recommend picking up the GMATClub application. I am on it the entire duration of my commute to and from work. Guess what sort of practice problems I do? :wink:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 12:04
When reviewing SC questions, I like to make sure I know why each of the wrong answers is incorrect. It helps covering a lot of ground per problem, and really completes my understanding
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 09:14
hellscream wrote:
5)I have read where people say that they had finished MGMAT SC guide in a week or 10days. Is this really the truth? or could be true for people who have a strong verbal baseline.

I think that MGMAT SC has a good structure with clear content. SC Grail is easier than MGMAT SC ( in my opinion). There are 13 chapters in MGMAT SC; therefore if you study 2 chapters per day, you can finish it in a week.... You do not have to have a strong verbal baseline to do this because MGMAT SC does its job really well.
There is no quick-fix for SC. All you can do is practice, review mistake and practice. Read each chapter of MGMAT SC (+ SC Grail with the same topic), do the OG problems at the end of the section and return to the theory if you get wrong. Besides that , keep visiting the SC section in our forum.
Skip the chapter 9 - idioms (MGMAT SC). I mean do not memorize them.. You will be accustomed to the idioms with your practice.
I think you should do 25-30 SC per day... Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to follow this approach.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Quote:
It looks like SC alone would take me at-least 3 months to read,practice and attain a good level of mastery. I am now unable to concentrate and my focus is disturbed.

At least 3 months for SC? No way. SC is the easiest section to improve - provided you study smart, and not study super hard like it sounds like you might be doing. There are only so many types of SC questions you can get on the GMAT. Similar patterns and booby traps appear over and over. If you're budgeting 3 months for SC alone, you're not on the right track. There are better ways - and it's not just about doing hundreds of SC questions.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Help needed to improve my Verbal SC   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 06:40