Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help needed to set a target score to get into Kellogg.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Help needed to set a target score to get into Kellogg. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:49
Hello everyone,

I am new to this club, found this one while googling couple of days ago.
I plan to take the test some time in late October and have already started preparing for the it. I would definitely need some help to set a target score to get into Kellogg, my dream school.

A little background about myself --
Am an engineer now settled in US. I did my BS in mechanical engineering from my home town in India and worked for about 2 years in a MNC. After that thought I need another degree, so I took the GRE and got my MS in mechanical engineering in US. Have been working for 2.5 years since then.

Following would be the high strengths in my application( I believe)----

- MS with a GPA of 3.7. I came in with a 50% scholarship for the first semester, and from the second semester landed in a TA job which offered me 100% scholarship with some stipend. Used to teach classes with more than 115 students.
- about 4.5 years work exp till now. currently working in advanced R&D dept of a fortune 100 company. Was presented an opportunity to work on a brand new product to be launched next year which would revolutionize the way everyone looks at off-road vehicles.
- Math, got a perfect 800 in my GRE in 2002. Am good at math, but not so good at verbal. would be concentrating more on it though.

With this brief background, what do you all feel should I target to get into Kellogg??

Any help here would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 08:01
The higher the better with any school. You should be able to get a 50+ on Q with no issue. You are Indian which is a tough group but since you aren't in IT that does help. I would say you should aim to be above the average GMAT for any school you plan on applying to just to be on the safe side.

So I would aim for a 710-720 minimum...with a high Q that should be doable if you can manage a reasonably good verbal.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 08:08
For Indians, its always safe to be above the average GMAT for any school by atleast 30-40 points. So i believe you should target at least a 740 and should be happy with anything between 720 and 740.
However, bear in mind that GMAT is just another part of apps. If you can strenghten you other parts and chalk out some wonderful essays, a lower GMAT will do. Anyway, 740 should be your target.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 08:42
First thing I notice is that you didn't mention your undergrad GPA. Business schools put very little weight on graduate GPA so it's impossible to guess without that.

The other important thing to know about Kellogg is that perhaps more than any other top school, they value do-gooder type community involvement. You didn't mention any in your profile, and without it you will be a long shot, no matter what your score is.

So, as the others have pointed out 720-740 is the bare minimum for someone from your demograhpic. When you ask "what should I target to get into Kellogg" you seem to be hoping to find a score which will guarantee admission. There is no such score you could achieve. Even with an 800, you'd be a long shot there without serious community involvement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:39
Quote:
The other important thing to know about Kellogg is that perhaps more than any other top school, they value do-gooder type community involvement. You didn't mention any in your profile, and without it you will be a long shot, no matter what your score is.

I am not sure if I agree with the community involvement part. Community involvement might give your application additional weightage. But not doing it does not make admission a long shot. I know atleast 5 Indians from my company who got into Kellogg with no community work whatsoever.

But if you have been involved in the community then ofcourse it will boost your application.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 11:02
If there are any doubts, I suggest going a few lines down to the "ask accepted.com" forum and asking Paul or browsing some of the older profiles. Getting into Kellogg without serious community involvement is the rare exception rather than the rule.
  [#permalink] 08 Aug 2007, 11:02