Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help - Not getting anywhere

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help - Not getting anywhere [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 23:36
Well it's felt like forever studying for this test. I started off doing Kaplan a long time ago in August. I scored 550 which was bad. It was my first test so I missed a lot of quant questions. I got 600 next time and then after studying I got 600 AGAIN like 2 months later. During this point I had picked up the 4th Edition of Manhattan GMAT. Anyhow, after buying advanced quant and aristotle, I decided to take a CAT on Jan. 7. I scored 650. I felt this combined with a tutor and I would finally schedule a date after YEARS of thinking of taking the test on Feb. 11. I will add that I have dumped Kaplan started with a math tutor and done the Economist GMAT Tutor although I wish I didn't spend on that. Anyhow tonight was 630. Feels almost worse than any other score because I have studied hard and feel like I am finally reading the right books after wasting my time with Kaplan. Anyhow what is a realistic test date. I don't think Feb. 11 is realistic. Part of me almost wonders whether it's time to move on. Anyhow, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Help - Not getting anywhere [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:22
It always seems hard if you get a disappointing score after a bunch of hard work. I will say that people are often studying the wrong things...

What is your target score?

What is your self prescribed cause for you performance? Timing? Lack of understanding questions? Difficulty recalling material?

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern

Re: Help - Not getting anywhere [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:35
1) I think huge frustration was thinking I turned a corner with a 660 score and that I was getting closer despite consistently getting questions wrong. To go down to 630 after the quantity I have studied is frustrating.

2) Whether it's tennis or GMAT, the mental part of the game is clearly lacking.

3) Timing is the worst. I scored identical on the Quant as my timing has always been bad. But yesterday my verbal I was slow on timing.

4) And with tutor, Master The GMAT, Aristotle etc. I think I am starting to throw good money after bad. I can take solace in that my best was 660 on my best day, I guess but that is clearly not close to the score I want. And maybe it's not the best idea, but I have hesitated to start on the Essay and Recommendation process. I believe I have 7 day period to cancel the test. So perhaps I will take another CAT in a week and see where I am.

Thanks for your post.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Help - Not getting anywhere [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:43
The answer is usually taking another CAT, although, there can be exam taking strategies to learn (timing is often easily fixable). The exam strategies are too lengthy to get into here, but we can address other thoughts.

1) Feb 11 is definitely too soon if you are looking for 700, unless you have a pending application deadline (then hope you have a good day)

2) As for how to study - learn with the intent of mastery. Review answer choices of right and wrong answers thoroughly.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern

Re: Help - Not getting anywhere [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 11:37
Thanks again. There is no reason to take test if my score is going to e 650. I haven't started neither essay preparation nor recommendation. But if you have a more realistic date or score. I study 1-2 hours at work and 1-2 hours at night everyday. Quality is better than Quantity and I suspect mixing and matching is screwing up
Re: Help - Not getting anywhere   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 11:37