Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: HELP: Not Much Improvement After Two Months of Practice [#permalink]
Kudos
It seems you have been following some generic advice. Some examples of this advice are : mix topics to keep things fresh, stick to official guides, read books, donot practise untimed etc.

What i have figured out is

- Donot worry about timing untill your problem solving process is perfected. It takes a lot of time to get the process right. Speed is a function of your knowledge base. Read Slingfox debrief for this. He gave number of tests untimed aiming at 100% accuracy.
- Study one topic intensively - i mean read MGMAT SC book till the point you can summarise whole chapters to yourself without opening the book. Make flash cards, use GMATClub IPhone app for revising while commuting.
Ditto for Powerscore CR.
- Practise SC/CR/RC questions 500+ in number and do it again. Use LSAT for CR/RC.
- Donot make a grandiose plan. Make a 1-2 week plan and after that period assess your progress, then plan again.
- Donot give tests everyweek unless you are scoring above 700/(assuming your target is 730).
- Reading books is good but the benefit gained wears out after your read 5 or so books. The intial jump is huge if you are out of touch for a long time. But after that it is a long drawn out path.
-Go the extra mile - Manhattan Advanced Quant, Manhattan Challenge Archive and resources that most people donot practise.
- Be patient.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great article nsspaz151! While I am reading it, I just wanted to point out that I took vacations this time around. I went to Wisconsin in January and Miami last week. The article probably will answer how 'unloading' can maximize. I will summarize my findings here.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AbhiJ,
Thanks for your great, great advice!!!

What i have figured out is

Quote:
- Donot worry about timing untill your problem solving process is perfected. It takes a lot of time to get the process right. Speed is a function of your knowledge base. Read Slingfox debrief for this. He gave number of tests untimed aiming at 100% accuracy.

I practiced untimed during the beginning of the practice. I will do untimed test and see how I do.

Quote:
- Study one topic intensively - i mean read MGMAT SC book till the point you can summarise whole chapters to yourself without opening the book. Make flash cards, use GMATClub IPhone app for revising while commuting.
Ditto for Powerscore CR.

I just started rereading and voice recording the MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR for my personal use during commute. So this is a right step.

I use MGMAT app and finished the problems there. I will buy the gmatclub app soon.

Quote:
- Practise SC/CR/RC questions 500+ in number and do it again. Use LSAT for CR/RC.

I am planning to buy SuperPrep 2004 and 2007. Should I buy any other Official LSAT books? Contrary to GMAT there are tons of official LSAT books.

Quote:
- Donot make a grandiose plan. Make a 1-2 week plan and after that period assess your progress, then plan again.

This is similar to the article nsspaz151 pointed out above. Will do so.

Quote:
- Donot give tests everyweek unless you are scoring above 700/(assuming your target is 730).

Aye aye captain! I learnt this lesson last time. I am planning 1 test every two weeks.

Quote:
- Reading books is good but the benefit gained wears out after your read 5 or so books. The intial jump is huge if you are out of touch for a long time. But after that it is a long drawn out path.

I will probably disagree a bit. I will continue to read books along with the practice plan.

Quote:
-Go the extra mile - Manhattan Advanced Quant, Manhattan Challenge Archive and resources that most people donot practise.

I actually finished the MGMAT Advanced Quant last time. I am planning to work on the Challenge Archive.

Quote:
- Be patient.

Although I consider myself very patient person, my patience is now wearing off. That's why I keep expressing my frustration out in this forum. Nobody will understand the pain except another GMAT fighter.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
udvranto wrote:
I use MGMAT app and finished the problems there. I will buy the gmatclub app soon.

No need to buy get 7 more Kudos, at 20 kudos you get the GMATClub App for free.

Quote:
I am planning to buy SuperPrep 2004 and 2007. Should I buy any other Official LSAT books? Contrary to GMAT there are tons of official LSAT books.

There are a number of options: You can by official tests published by LSAC in group of 10.

Quote:
I will probably disagree a bit. I will continue to read books along with the practice plan.

Would you rather solve/analyse LSAT RCs or read the books ? There are about 1500 official LSAT RC questions. We have less time than we think.

Quote:
I actually finished the MGMAT Advanced Quant last time. I am planning to work on the Challenge Archive.

Can you solve any MGMAT Advanced Quant problem within 3-4 min. If no then you need to revisit and in some case re-solve the problems.

Quote:

Although I consider myself very patient person, my patience is now wearing off. That's why I keep expressing my frustration out in this forum. Nobody will understand the pain except another GMAT fighter.

Joined GMATClub before you and probably prepared at a lower intensity for longer period. I do see your pain.
But what is life without the pain ? It may sound a bit philosphical but one needs to enjoy the GMAT process.See GMAT Quant as something that helps to keep your brain active and GMAT Verbal as something that helps to improve writing/reading skills. Also take short breaks like 1 week break. Use some down time 1 hour/day or so for watching TV playing games etc. The harder the battle the sweeter the victory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the nice encouraging words AbhiJ!
GMAT Club Bot