Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help on Business Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Help on Business Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 03:04
Dear All, Thank you for visiting this topic and posting your replies. I gaved my GMAT earlier, and got a 510. Obviously, as mentioned by majority of the people on this site, i got disheartened, thought i couldnt do it so simple quit it. However, recently i have gotten motivated again to do the GMAT and give it my best approx 1 hr on weekdays and approx 3-4 hrs on the weekends.
My aim is to reach the 720-740 mark.
I have read through a few of the threads on this website and felt manhattan was the best bet, i have purchased first two of the manhattan strategy 8 books and have given myself till May/June to give the exam.
Firstly, i want to know your comments on my strategy i.e. read the books thoroughly, understand the concepts, do the questions from OG and then start doing the actual tests, plan to do around 8-10 tests, with revision after each test. Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, and do note that i will be asking for an idiots guide to guide me through the MBA process right from the GMAT to school selections and then apps/essays. Would be extremely grateful for all your help and advise.

Btw for Schools my choices in terms of preferences are listed
1) Cornell
2) Columbia
3)NYU
4)Northwestern
5)PENN
6)Duke
7)Darthmouth
8)Insead
9)HAAS
10)Chicago
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help on Business Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 03:35
You have a fairly good strategy but when you get down to implementation, I will encourage you to do regular checks to monitor your progress. Also do not fall into the GMAT score trap, where you are too focused on the score and loose track of your overall MBA aspirations.

Good luck
Maria Tarr

ExpandUrHorizon
Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help on Business Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 03:44
Thank you for your reply maria tarr, can you please elaborate on "monitor your progress" and "loose track of overall MBA aspirations"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help on Business Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 04:13
Monitor your progress: Depending on your plan you can monitor, are you completing the topics on time, are you taking your test regularly , are you analysing your results thoroughly and identifying corrective actions. Essentially instill discipline to your strategy implementation.

Overall MBA aspirations: GMAT score is only one of the components of a b-school application, the schools are also looking for you to demonstrate your achievements, personal attributes, leadership skills and career goals. Selecting the right schools to match your post MBA aspirations is also very important and candidates often undermine the importance of these components.

Hope this help !!

Maria
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help on Business Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 05:25
Hi Maria, thanks alot for the time your putting in on the replies, am really grateful. Unfortunately i had a very average undergrad gpa 2.7, so i have to rely alot on the gmat, i have approx 5 yrs of corporate/retail banking experience-cross border two geographies with a triple A rated international bank and across various segments/products/roles.
Re: Help on Business Schools   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2011, 05:25