Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! please rate my analysis of an issue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Help! please rate my analysis of an issue [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 20:53
"Although the modern information age has opened up channels of communication that never before existed, it, paradoxically, has destroyed the foundation of community by isolating individuals in a technological world that involves little real human interaction."
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the position stated above. Support your viewpoint using reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

I agree completely with the writer ,regarding the points that he has put forth in this argument.The issue at hand has the writer hinting at the positives and the negatives of technological advancements in communication.The writer has gone his way to mention that the modern information age has opened up channels of communication that never before existed,thus these channels of communication are a boon to us humans to a certain extent.On the other hand, channels of communication thus created have destroyed the foundation of community by isolating individuals in a technological world that involves little real human interaction,which refers to personalisation of conversations among people.

Firstly, let me point out how the modern information age has opened up channels of communication that never before existed, and how these channels are a boon to us.In todays lifestyle, i dont think anyone can even try to imagine what life would be like without a cellphone.The invention of cellphones have no doubt connected people in ways that couldnt have been imagined.The cellphone is a symbol of the modern age of communciation. Cellphones can connect us with people through calls, messages, emails , internet, etc. and the list will keep increasing with more and more technological advancements.This has seriously helped in issues regarding security, of say , anyone's relative or love ones.Whereabouts, help, information, and other such facilites are just a phone call or a message away.There's no doubt in anyones mind that cellphones have revolutionised communication ,in all forms whatsoever.

However, i , along with the writer, do agree completely that this revolution has infact "destroyed the foundation of community by isolating individuals in a technological world that involves little real human interaction." Those sentiments that are visible while speaking face to face with someone , cant be conveyed through, say a text message or an email for that matter.The fact that meeting relatives during important ceremonies at home in the family,is emphasised on, is for a particular reason.The tradition of relatives to come together at such ceremonies, it is also percieved as an excuse to catch up.This fact not many people realise.Now if people start using cellphones/emails only, to catch up, just imagine the quality of the conversations as compared to meeting up and talking face to face in a gathering. It wont even be surprising if one loses complete touch with his relatives ,if he is completely dependent on technology for communicating with his relatives.This is precisely where sentiments come into the picture.They convey warm signals and emotions , essential for longetivity of relations.

In conclusion, i would say that the writer's views on the modern age of communication has a world of meaning and sense to them.I agree with his statement and do feel personally that one should know how to optimally use technology to communicate.One should be fully aware of the pros and cons of such technology.Even though it has come a long way in ensuring that loved ones stay connected at all times, it does have serious adversities attatched to it if used without control.At the end , its an obvious fact that too much of anything is harmful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! please rate my analysis of an issue [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 06:41
Excellent narrative not sure how many points are awarded for the essay to be convincing.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! please rate my analysis of an issue [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:47
rb90 welcome to the gmaclub!

I think your essay is really great and I'll give you 5/6!

Keep all of us on gmatclub update about your progess on GMAT!

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Help! please rate my analysis of an issue   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2010, 09:47