Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 08:21
Hello,

After score a very low GMAT (610), and despite the discouraging advice received here:http://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-evaluation-plz-90402.html (where you could see my profile), I decided to follow my heart and applied to some schools.

So far I was admitted to Warwick and Cass and I did interview with IE last week (awaiting the decision). About Imperial College (Tanaka), I have interview scheduled for next week.

Additionally, I submited also to INSEAD and LBS, but my chances with these school are slim (to not say nill). I already have been rejected in Cambridge.

The problem is that I'll have to choose between Warwick and Cass (and possibly IE) before knowing the decision of Imperial, LBS and INSEAD.

So, which school would you choose between Cass and Warwick? And if you add IE to the list? And how you rate Imperial among the others? I don´t talk about LBS and INSEAD because if, by some miracle, I get admission in any of them, therefore there will be no discussion possible.

What I'm looking for in MBA is to improve my managment skills to keep working in industry. I hope to have a greater management role (after MBA), more so than a technical one. So, I want to focus in leadership and strategy. I have also a small own business, so entrepreneurship is also a target.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 00:20
my very unscientific analysis would suggest Cass because of its location. Again it depends a lot on what you want to do post MBA, but I happen to run into Cass alums often in London. Bear in mind most of these people are not MBAs but Cass undergrads.
Intern
Intern

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 00:29
bsd_lover wrote:
my very unscientific analysis would suggest Cass because of its location. Again it depends a lot on what you want to do post MBA, but I happen to run into Cass alums often in London. Bear in mind most of these people are not MBAs but Cass undergrads.

Thank you very much for your insights. If IE also offers me a place, do you think the location (in London) is more important than the prestige of the school (IE is 7th in FT ranking)?

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 01:50
I would go to IE. Cass is famous for their Actuarial Science programmes but not that much for their MBA. Even though IE is very overrated, "everyone" knows about IE MBA. I think it has a better brand name.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 04:07
I am probably not qualified to make this particular comparison. What exactly would you like to do after the MBA ? See the job functions and the locations where most Cass MBAs go to and then compare that to IE MBAs and make up your own mind. Also keep in mind the location and cultural differences.
Intern
Intern

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 07:35
Thank you!

I would like to work in industry, although the strategy consultancy also pleases me... by what I see, Warwick in your opinion does not compete in this race... Have an opinion about their MBA? And in London, Cass is better than Imperial?

Sometimes is very difficult to choose among so many good schools... I intend to visit the schools next month in order to help in my decision.

Cheers
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:34
Again its difficult to compare MBA with MBA. Imperial is a very strong undergraduate name, however, its MBA has been struggling. They recently unnamed their school from Tanaka back to Imperial to use that undergraduate name. Best thing would be to read their placement reports and see what % go into mgt consulting. I think IE might be a good bet for this (although i dont know what its placement is like in the non-spanish speaking world). Cass gets good exposure to finance jobs in London but I dont know how well they do in industry and in consulting.

Cass MBA employment report is here : http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/mba/pdfs/ft/ ... 006-07.pdf
Note that they only show 2007 number which is highly suspicious.

Imperial publishes recent recruiters : http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-sch ... recruiters again the fact that they dont publish latest career / placement numbers sounds supicious

Warwick publishes some data from 2005-2006 here : http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/devel ... -stats.cfm

IE does a good honest job of placement reporting here : http://www.imba.ie.edu/pdf/placement_report.PDF

Just by looking at this IE seems quite good. Its placements in consulting and industry are strong.

ricborg wrote:
Thank you!

I would like to work in industry, although the strategy consultancy also pleases me... by what I see, Warwick in your opinion does not compete in this race... Have an opinion about their MBA? And in London, Cass is better than Imperial?

Sometimes is very difficult to choose among so many good schools... I intend to visit the schools next month in order to help in my decision.

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 06:47
Thank you for the links!

I've booked a trip to visit all schools. That will help me for sure!

Cheers
Intern
Intern

IE vs Imperial Tanaka vs ESADE [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 01:01
After some decisions, my final choice comes down to three schools: IE, ESADE and Imperial College.

I clearly prefer to live in London, but IE appears very strong in the rankings. Furthermore, in London, for several reasons, I would spend half the budget than in Madrid.

That said, what do you think? The difference in ranking (IE: #7 vs. Imperial: #32) worth to pay double and live in a city that not attracts me so much?

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 11:48
ricborg, what did u decide. I have acceptance from Cass. What did u find out about Cass?
Intern
Intern

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 12:24
defleopard22 wrote:
ricborg, what did u decide. I have acceptance from Cass. What did u find out about Cass?

Hello,

Though IE and ESADE are best ranked, London attracts me much more than Spain, so I chose Imperial College. I think that Imperial has been rising gradually and may be among the best in a few years. As far as I know, Imperial already has many teachers who also teach at LBS and Judge. Also the strong brand "Imperial College" (considered one of the best universities in the world) can help in that purpose - like Said and Judge, that won prestigious under Oxford and Cambridge brands.

About Cass I think that is a great school and particularly strong in finance. Between the two I chose Imperial because I have more interest in entrepreneurship than finance. Anyway, I think you have been admitted to an excellent school. The choice depends upon the other any offers that you have...

cheers
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 10:20
I'm wondering why you didn't include Cranfield in your list? it's one of the top notch business schools in UK and has a fantastic program in entrepreneurship & general management. Moreover, it's just 30min from London and has strong connections with big fancy firms (rolls-royce for instance).
Intern
Intern

Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 10:55
warrak2000 wrote:
I'm wondering why you didn't include Cranfield in your list? it's one of the top notch business schools in UK and has a fantastic program in entrepreneurship & general management. Moreover, it's just 30min from London and has strong connections with big fancy firms (rolls-royce for instance).

Hello,

Initially I included Cranfield on my list. Then, and after some research, I found out that the average age is slightly higher in Cranfield (32), as well as average years' work experience (9). Therefore, I gave up to apply for Cranfield. But of course Cranfield is a great b-school. No doubt about that...

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-09-2014
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 02:11
All - I have 13 years of work-experience in medical devices/ pharmaceutical sales and in Sep 2014, I would be joining MBA. Further, I am very much in Ric's shoes so please do suggest me what's good for me.

Ric - After reading your post, I would surely like to now know, which school did you opt for and what all you got and missed after completing your MBA?

Please do add your arguments with suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Help plz: Warwick vs Cass vs IE vs Imperial Tanaka   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2014, 02:11