Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help - Q34 and Poor Verbal!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: YLP '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Help - Q34 and Poor Verbal! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 19:03
I'll present my condition : I still have an year to go before I give GMAT. And I want to score well in it. I don't come from a very affluent family. And a good GMAT score is the only way to redemption for me, and hopefully to a scholarship. (The only woman I love, is going to US after 2 years, and on deep research, this seems to be the best way which aligns me with my goals).

I could try for US universities for my engineering masters. But, my goals are towards striving to improve marine industry, which needs me to be a engineering manager than an engineer alone. (These may appear very far fetched again, but then, we can have vision, can't we?)

I have decent extra-curriculars, and academic record. And this is one shot I want to take. It's a very long one, but this is the only way, hopefully, if not now, maybe later, I can find solace.

This is the source of my problems:

Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #4 39% / Q34 37 min 23 sec February 23rd, 05:50 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #3 98% / Q50 40 min 0 sec February 23rd, 04:49 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #2 98% / Q50 34 min 28 sec February 23rd, 03:55 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #1 98% / Q51 32 min 14 sec February 23rd, 07:36 AM
GMATClub Free Quant Test 98% / Q51 45 min 54 sec February 23rd, 03:04 AM

I was free through the day, so each time I sat on my laptop, I started taking all the quant tests as I wanted to check where I stood. (These are without any preparation, I came to know of GMAT in December, and since then, I have been reading about how an MBA could help me, and what GMAT is; solved a few questions (10-15 in TOTAL) here and there randomly, nothing else).

I was happy as I went along, and then the last Manhattan Test blew me away.

Is it the over doing it that set in, or is the GMAT is a matter of unpredictability at times, and that too with such huge variation.

I want to score a 760+ when I give the test. I'd hoped I would do a 750+ (I've had a strong quant, until today). And hopefully, would start full fledged preparation in later half of this year. I CANNOT afford too many resources to be bought, too many retake either. I want to achieve it in first time, because of financial and attitude constraints.

I want suggestions as to how can I improve, and show consistency (the last one was a huge setback). Moreover, what other things, like bb suggested GMAT fiction books, that I could read, so that on starting preparation I'm in good flow already. I'm not very good at verbal (Did the GMAT Prep practice questions quite sometime back, without any preparation to gauge myself : SC 67% Accuracy, CR 53% Accuracy)

I'll be very thankful for any kind of input.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: Help - Q34 and Poor Verbal! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 19:45
ujjawal13 wrote:
I'll present my condition : I still have an year to go before I give GMAT. And I want to score well in it. I don't come from a very affluent family. And a good GMAT score is the only way to redemption for me, and hopefully to a scholarship. (The only woman I love, is going to US after 2 years, and on deep research, this seems to be the best way which aligns me with my goals).

I could try for US universities for my engineering masters. But, my goals are towards striving to improve marine industry, which needs me to be a engineering manager than an engineer alone. (These may appear very far fetched again, but then, we can have vision, can't we?)

I have decent extra-curriculars, and academic record. And this is one shot I want to take. It's a very long one, but this is the only way, hopefully, if not now, maybe later, I can find solace.

This is the source of my problems:

Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #4 39% / Q34 37 min 23 sec February 23rd, 05:50 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #3 98% / Q50 40 min 0 sec February 23rd, 04:49 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #2 98% / Q50 34 min 28 sec February 23rd, 03:55 PM
Manhattan GMAT Challenge Set #1 98% / Q51 32 min 14 sec February 23rd, 07:36 AM
GMATClub Free Quant Test 98% / Q51 45 min 54 sec February 23rd, 03:04 AM

I was free through the day, so each time I sat on my laptop, I started taking all the quant tests as I wanted to check where I stood. (These are without any preparation, I came to know of GMAT in December, and since then, I have been reading about how an MBA could help me, and what GMAT is; solved a few questions (10-15 in TOTAL) here and there randomly, nothing else).

I was happy as I went along, and then the last Manhattan Test blew me away.

Is it the over doing it that set in, or is the GMAT is a matter of unpredictability at times, and that too with such huge variation.

I want to score a 760+ when I give the test. I'd hoped I would do a 750+ (I've had a strong quant, until today). And hopefully, would start full fledged preparation in later half of this year. I CANNOT afford too many resources to be bought, too many retake either. I want to achieve it in first time, because of financial and attitude constraints.

I want suggestions as to how can I improve, and show consistency (the last one was a huge setback). Moreover, what other things, like bb suggested GMAT fiction books, that I could read, so that on starting preparation I'm in good flow already. I'm not very good at verbal (Did the GMAT Prep practice questions quite sometime back, without any preparation to gauge myself : SC 67% Accuracy, CR 53% Accuracy)

I'll be very thankful for any kind of input.

If you've still got a year to go before the GMAT, I would suggest reading as many articles as possible (on a daily basis) on www.economist.com and www.scientificamerican.com . That should help develop comprehension and vocabulary quite a bit.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: Help - Q34 and Poor Verbal! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 21:54
Here are a few things to consider:

1. Instead of basing your performance on what these tests tell you, you need to take a test from the simulation software on mba.com - GMATPrep. Take this test and let us know where you stand. Rest of it is not a real indication.

2. Taking tests is measuring where you stand. As someone else said, it is like using a thermometer to measure your temperature. THAT cannot cure your illness :) So you need to make sure you are analyzing your mistakes and working on the parts you need to focus on.

3. Why do you want to wait for another year to take the test? This test has a law of diminishing returns - so after a point, giving yourself more time will be counter productive. I would suggest that you prepare for it over the next few months and take it when you are best prepared.

4. Your reasons for doing an MBA are emotionally appealing :) but also try to tie it with your own professional interests - your career goals, and where you eventually want to be. It is important to remember that on the longer run "going to the US to be with your girlfriend" cannot alone be the driver.

HTH,

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Re: Help - Q34 and Poor Verbal!   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 21:54