Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help Quant!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help Quant!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 15:52
Ok so first a little background.

Over the past two months I have been studying for the gmat. Most of the my studying has been dedicated to quant as I am already very strong in verbal because I was an English major. I have been studying the mgmat 8 strategy guides and doing the recommended problems in OG12th and VR and QR supplementals. Unfortunately, I work retail so it has been very hard to get a good study structure together so I have been studying when I can but it has been very fragmented.

So my issue is that I have been performing very poorly on the quant in both ps and ds on the practice tests. I have been using the mgmat cats. When doing practice questions from OG, I get usually about 3/4 or more right and struggle with some of the more difficult problems. When I review I try to see what I did wrong, what the question was asking for, why the answer is right, what strategies I missed, etc. After reviewing I understand my mistakes. But under timed constraints, and pressure, I look at the quant and I feel like I have no idea what to do. Its hard to form a strategy or figure out the type of problem and what its asking. I feel like part of what made the OG easier was that I knew the type of question so I knew what to do instinctively. That certainty isn't there on test. How can I make it first nature to know what to do for each question because my actual computation skills are good.

Also, I know I need to continuing study because I took the test before I got to finish. I was able to complete Number Properties, Word Translations, and Equalities, Inequalites, and Vics. I also read a little about geometry. So I know whats left to study.

I took the gmat today and I got a 620
Quant 35 36%ile
Verbal 40 90%ile

I plan on applying to top ranked schools so this score is not enough and I need to know what to do to get better on the quant. Please help. I know that once I am able to tackle these quant problems I can get a really good score. Thanks in advance for any reply.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: Help Quant!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 19:10
Seems like you and I are in somewhat similar situations. Took the GMAT today and scored a 680 (Q43, V40) -- sucks big time. I'm compiling resources and planning a strategy to tackle my weak areas. Check out my thread (can't post a link, but you can click my username and find my thread), I'll be adding anything new I find there.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Help Quant!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 20:30
Many people suggest to master one area before moving to the next. Looks like you know what you are doing, but time seems to be the issue. Try to understand in and out, say, Number Properties and do practice questions. Know why the correct answer is correct and incorrect answer is incorrect. Keep the error log and do the questions you got wrong again until you get them right. But try not to memorize the answer, but understand how to actually solve the problem. If this works for you, you can do the same with VICs, Equalities...

Try to not move to the other areas before you feel comfortable in the topic area you have started.

If you learn to do things that you need to do - then someday - you can do things that you want to do.

Re: Help Quant!!!   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 20:30