Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help required, GMAT Newbie here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Help required, GMAT Newbie here [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 03:41
Hi

Before getting onto my questions, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kamal and I am from India. I work in a reputed company as a systems Engineer for the past two years now. I decided to take GMAT ini the beginning of March and have studied a bit in quant. Not so much in verbal yet. I have already booked the date for exam - 8th MAY 2010.

What have I done in the one month

1) I bought Cracking the GMAT book by Princeton review. Read the quant part from it except Co-ordinate geometry. And did all the drills (which were quite easy, BTW). Then took the warm up test and my score reflected that I should start from practice bin 2 in quant. Also, I kept practicing on OG11 questions. Attempted maybe 100 questions in all.

2) Took GMAT Prep on 3/31/2010 and scored a measly 500 (Q36 (or 46, I will let you know), V23). Remember, I havent yet started preparation for verbal yet. I started it only on 4/2/2010 and have come to know my weaknesses and I am working on it.

3) Downloaded error log and I found that most of the mistakes I am doing are in DS.

Now, my questions(Keep in mind that I have only 2 months now):

1) The biggest difficulty I am facing right now is that I dont know if there are any books out there that have chapter wise questions. I have seen KAplan online and it does not have chapter wise questions. So can somebody recommend a good book that has chapter wise question in it? (And a good healthy number, not just 5 questions per chapter, like most of the books have). And yes, I am scouring for the chapter wise questions on the forum right now. Till now, I have only come across a word document having Probability and Permutations, combinations.

2) And, I know this is kinda redundant, but I would appreciate, if somebody having a two month prep plan can share his/her plan with me. I know its quite an effort, so I would not mind if nobody comes up with a plan. :)

Also, I have noticed that Princeton review's Crack the GMAT is not for people aiming for 680+(such as myself). It paints a real simple picture of GMAT and creates an impression that its a cakewalk and that you can attempt almost every question using POE. lol...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help required, GMAT Newbie here [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 17:43
this may help:

viewforumtags.php

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2282

Kudos [?]: 8865 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help required, GMAT Newbie here [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 22:11
Expert's post
hellraiser06 wrote:
Hi

Before getting onto my questions, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kamal and I am from India. I work in a reputed company as a systems Engineer for the past two years now. I decided to take GMAT ini the beginning of March and have studied a bit in quant. Not so much in verbal yet. I have already booked the date for exam - 8th MAY 2010.

What have I done in the one month

1) I bought Cracking the GMAT book by Princeton review. Read the quant part from it except Co-ordinate geometry. And did all the drills (which were quite easy, BTW). Then took the warm up test and my score reflected that I should start from practice bin 2 in quant. Also, I kept practicing on OG11 questions. Attempted maybe 100 questions in all.

2) Took GMAT Prep on 3/31/2010 and scored a measly 500 (Q36 (or 46, I will let you know), V23). Remember, I havent yet started preparation for verbal yet. I started it only on 4/2/2010 and have come to know my weaknesses and I am working on it.

3) Downloaded error log and I found that most of the mistakes I am doing are in DS.

Now, my questions(Keep in mind that I have only 2 months now):

1) The biggest difficulty I am facing right now is that I dont know if there are any books out there that have chapter wise questions. I have seen KAplan online and it does not have chapter wise questions. So can somebody recommend a good book that has chapter wise question in it? (And a good healthy number, not just 5 questions per chapter, like most of the books have). And yes, I am scouring for the chapter wise questions on the forum right now. Till now, I have only come across a word document having Probability and Permutations, combinations.

2) And, I know this is kinda redundant, but I would appreciate, if somebody having a two month prep plan can share his/her plan with me. I know its quite an effort, so I would not mind if nobody comes up with a plan. :)

Also, I have noticed that Princeton review's Crack the GMAT is not for people aiming for 680+(such as myself). It paints a real simple picture of GMAT and creates an impression that its a cakewalk and that you can attempt almost every question using POE. lol...

Here you go: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

What do you mean by chapter-wise questions? I have never heard of that...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Help required, GMAT Newbie here [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 06:18
Thanks for replying bb and achiever.

By chapter wise questions, I mean questions that I can practice on based on the chapter I just read. e.g. If I am doing probability right now, then I want to attempt Probability questions as soon as I am done with reading the chapter.

As for the link that you provided, I already have it and I am working according to it. :)

In the meanwhile, I have found various problems to work on too on this forum itself. I will compile the links in one post shortly, so that it can be used by other people too....
Re: Help required, GMAT Newbie here   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2010, 06:18