Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Re: Help required in choosing MBA Program ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jayaramgokul wrote:
Hi Jon,

I am very much interested in taking up a MS in Finance being from a strong non finance background, also my finance projects at the end of my UG gave me much incentive for going through for this path. Although I have CFA and FRM certifications I am not sure how well these would replicate an actual degree in finance.

However I am bound to take up an MBA soon after in any case because pure theoretical knowledge would do no good once we get to a managerial stage( inherently the basic motivation for every one to take up the MBA).

I have 2 scenarios going on inside my head:

1. Take the MS in finance and if possible land up some work experience in the US as well. Subsequently if I cross 31 or 32 take up an E MBA or a part time MBA. Or I could still take up a full tine MBA however I am not sure if my chances at a full time program..?? Also do EMBA program's take up candidates with 5 years of experience..?

2. Don't take up the MS in finance.. but save some years But in the long run risk losing out to MBA applications due to academic demerits..( my F's in UG)..

How would you do this, if you were in my shoes..?

I really wanted some help out here..

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there,
So I understand your motivation, and you CAN do it if you feel it is best for you. I'm still not sure whether it is worth it given that the time and financial and opportunity costs can be quite high to pursue such a plan.

What I can say is that anyhow, the first step is to do ONE degree. You can decide that you want to apply only to MF degrees or that you will apply to both MBA and MF degrees simultaneously. And as for what happens in your career, this is of course impossible to predict, but you may find that after say 3 years in the work force, your advancement and knowledge from the one Masters suffices, or as you yourself mentioned, that you do a two-year program a bit late, or perhaps have the backup of your employer and do an EMBA or one-year MBA or PT MBA...

And at that point you can reconsider whether it makes sense for you or not to reinvest this money and time, and exactly how and where. Who knows? With hard work and the best of luck, you may find yourself already in a managerial position with good advancement prospects thanks to your experience and good work? In which case the second degree would be moot.

Or if not, then you will still have the option of considering exactly what type and which MBA programs to apply to.

Make sense?

I hope so!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanx Jon.... I knew I could count on you..!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jayaramgokul wrote:
Thanx Jon.... I knew I could count on you..!

All right, man... good luck to you, and keep us in the know...
:)

Cheers,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts