Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help the Newbie - Hello Everyone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help the Newbie - Hello Everyone [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 06:47
Hello Everyone,

About Myself:

I am 25 years old, living in US with a a BBA (major CIS) from Georgia State University(GPA 3.7). I started working at age 18 in the corporate world and have held various positions in my seven year career.

Now, I find myself wanting to pursue a MBA but find the need to review all the material again. Having trouble recalling the simplest strategies which I drilled in my head in the past has me stressed. Many have recommeded that I pursue a MBA later on down the road but I would atleast like to get a good GMAT score, so I may do so later.

Currently, if I took the exam, 500 is best possible score I could hope for...and yes, I am aware its low. I have tried a few exams but didn't finish them, so the score was in low 400's. I took the sample challenge of 5 questions and got 0/5 correct and took 2-3 hours to do so, but did take the initiative to learn the solutions and fully understand the questions. Basically, I have no strategies for the exam but am ready to start my journey to beat the GMAT.

I have started using Thomas Peterson's book ACRO Master the GMAT 2007 and have ordered Official Guide 11th edition which i will do last.

Below are some questions I have for the forum:

1) Can somone expain all these Acronyms used on the site? (e.g. PP, GPrep, Tprep, etc)

2) How is GMAX online Review for a newbie?

3) Is taking a class with Kaplan or any other provider worth the money?

4) Any assistance to get me headed on the right path would be much appreciated.

Thanks much for responding to the post. I really value the assistance gmatclub.com provides and look forward to being an active member.

Regards
Megsu
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 07:19
1) GMATPrep is a current official software by GMAC... it has 2 tests, which you retake after reinstalling the software... it also has sample problems for each section. You can download it here:

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... in2006.htm

PP is PowerPrep, which was replaced by GMATPrep... I don't know where you can get it now, but it's not quite representative, as questions are way easier, especially in math.

2) GMAX online is great for newbie. I particularly like the SC part, I think it's great. If you know the very basics in math, it isn't too useful... BUT their course comes with the pack of Challenges from this site and that's where you get... well... challenged. In CR and RC you're pretty much on your own, but in those questions you just need practice. Overall, I thought GMAX is great, but like any course won't get you 700 after only watching lectures... you must practice and work at it!!! But if you only need 500 (which I am not sure if you meant it) I don't think you need any course... just go through the OG yourself.

3) Kaplan is a waste of money, according to many people here... I don't know, but judging from their materials it is likely to be true :cry:

4) Quant - be familiar with basics, then go on to practice questions
Verbal - get MGMAT SC and get the rules down, then practice with OG 11 and read every explanation... (that's true for all questions in verbal... CR, in particular) Also, get the 9 paper tests from GMAC website above and practice with those in the beginning. After you feel comfortable with basics, start working on timing with CATs.

Good luck,
u2lovergirl
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 09:41
What I meant by 500 is thats is the score I would expect to get if I took the exam today. I don't want a 500. Goal is in betewen 670 -700.

What is MGMAT?

Thansk u2Lover for your input.

Megsu
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 10:49
MGMAT is set of 7 books by Manhattan GMAT... each costs about $30 may be... if you buy any of these you get an access to online test banks and their CATs...

check it out (btw, I don't work for them :lol:, seriously )

http://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm

MGMAT SC is the one to have... I would skip CR & RC for sure
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 11:47
Thanks will do. I will start with the SC book from them when I get to the Verbal section.

Regards
Megsu

u2lover wrote:
MGMAT is set of 7 books by Manhattan GMAT... each costs about $30 may be... if you buy any of these you get an access to online test banks and their CATs...

check it out (btw, I don't work for them :lol:, seriously )

http://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm

MGMAT SC is the one to have... I would skip CR & RC for sure
  [#permalink] 18 Dec 2006, 11:47