Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help to choose MBA field

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help to choose MBA field [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 10:11
Hi Guys,
I just gave my GMAT and got 580. I am planning for MBA in US. First of all please let me know whether the score is satisfactory or not.
Secondly I am confused between MBA in Systems & MBA in Operations.
Please let me know with respect to foll points:
1) Difference in Courses
2) Jobs Offered
3) Return on Investment
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help to choose MBA field [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 09:13
Hi Guys..Can any1 will help me plz....
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 1

Re: Help to choose MBA field [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
Digvijay8 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I just gave my GMAT and got 580. I am planning for MBA in US. First of all please let me know whether the score is satisfactory or not.
Secondly I am confused between MBA in Systems & MBA in Operations.
Please let me know with respect to foll points:
1) Difference in Courses
2) Jobs Offered
3) Return on Investment

I am assuming that you want to know whether your GMAT score is satisfactory for getting into an MBA program. That is going to depend on which MBA program you want to apply to as well as your other attributes. What is satisfactory at a school ranked below the top 100 may not be satisfactory at Harvard for example. To get an idea the GMAT scores of admitted students at an MBA program, you will want to look at the average or middle 80% scores of the students at that specific school. This information is usually provided on the school's website.

To cut to the chase, a GMAT of 580 is going to be below the average of all top 50 schools (and probably top 100 schools as well). To be competitive at any of these schools you will need to be very strong in other parts of your application. So for example, if you have a near perfect GPA from a elite educational institution, great work experience with management opportunities, do not come from an over-represented applicant pool (such as Indian Engineers or IT folks), have killer post-collegiate extra-curriculars, and are still 26-28 years old, then by all means apply to top schools.

As far as an MBA field, to me personally it is immaterial. Different people might have different (and perfectly valid) opinions, but to me an MBA is first and foremost a degree in management. Your MBA experience (academics, the network you make etc) will prepare you to be a better manager. Your electives or specialization will allow you to focus on specific fields you want more acquire more knowledge in, but by and large the core courses of all MBA programs will prepare you for most jobs. Plus, I haven't really heard of "Systems" as a specialization in any MBA program. You might want to browse the websites of some schools to get a better idea of the specializations available and how each of those might benefit you.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Help to choose MBA field [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:28
+1 to Gokhra's response..

@Digvijay8 - For an Indian applicant, 580 is almost never going to be competitive at any school. At this stage, I would rather work towards radically improving the GMAT score than focus on the trivial difference between MBA in Systems or Operations. For understanding this difference, you need to research yourself quite significantly by reading up on these and speaking with folks who have done an MBA in these specializations.

Return on investment & jobs offered depend in a big way on the school you are attending. Having no information about your profile, goals or anything other than your GMAT, it's impossible to provide any constructive input.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Help to choose MBA field   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 20:28