Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

help to set up a new study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

help to set up a new study plan [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 17:54
Hi guys, first post here eventhough I've been lurking around for some time.

So, this saturday I took the gmat and as I expected took a big blow because of a poor preparation - 600 (42Q, 31V)

I struggled through quant, wasting time on silly exercises at first and literally rushing the last 7 questions (I realized I had 5 minutes for those 7 questions).

I didn't find verbal to be hard time wise (finished with 8 minutes left), though I used some POE I wasn't 100% sure of what I was doing. Did most of it by ear (I'm not a native english speaker).

My preparation was basically doing once de MGMAT 8book pack + OG + Q REVIEW 2nd ED + GMATPrep CAT (620 - 41Q, 34V - the day before the exam).
On the GMATPrep CAT I didn't had timming issues (10 min left on quant and 15 on verbal). While reviewing the mistakes on quant, most were because of trying to do things quickly and not reading correctly the questions.

Now I want revenge!

I'm looking to structure a new 2 month study plan (the objective is 700). Take into consideration that I will have to study the new IR section!

1) IR: How much time to spend? and where from should I study? Books/Exs recommendations?
2) Quant: Should I review the OG again or focus on doing new exercises? Where from? There's tons of options out there so I need some input that will fit my time frame.
3) Verbal: I found the MGMAT RC and CR to be, in my opinion, not so good; maybe focus on PowerScore CR/SC? How long will it take?
4) CAT's: take every available CAT! (MGMAT + free ones)

Any other thoughts/recommendations?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Re: help to set up a new study plan [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 00:01
Quote:
1) IR: How much time to spend? and where from should I study? Books/Exs recommendations?

With so few resources and sample of scores, it would be hard to find a credible number of hours that you should spend. Keep in mind, it's only a 30 minute section so just get comfortable with it. The OG 13th Edition should be a perfect guide. In addition, Magoosh has just released a free ebook. http://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/05/free-m ... ing-ebook/

Quote:
2) Quant: Should I review the OG again or focus on doing new exercises? Where from? There's tons of options out there so I need some input that will fit my time frame.

2 months is definitely plenty of time to get your score up. Whether or not you can increase it 100+ points is up to your efficiency and effectiveness at studying. Personally, I'm using all 8 Study Guides with other supplemental material. Many on the forum would also suggest the "Thursdays with Ron" video series where he goes over many of the GMAT concepts. You can find them here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm . Finally, you want to practice, practice, practice! There are so many questions on the forum. Use it! And if you really want to take a crack at tough questions, I've heard that the GMAT Club Tests are difficult and good practice.

Quote:
3) Verbal: I found the MGMAT RC and CR to be, in my opinion, not so good; maybe focus on PowerScore CR/SC? How long will it take?
You're not the only one to have said this. I personally found them to be okay and good enough for me. I've had great English teachers in High School and loved Rhetoric writing in college so maybe that has helped laid the foundation for me. There's also the Aristotle Prep books that many on this forum have used. Again, you have access to plenty in the "verbal" section. Furthermore, starting June 5th there will be plenty of professionals contributing to our Verbal section here so you'll find that very helpful.

Quote:
4) CAT's: take every available CAT! (MGMAT + free ones)
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu - BB has done all the worked for us. For me personally, I have 12 GMAT practice exams all lined up together (6 came with my Study Guides).

If you have any questions, let me know. However, many of your questions can be more thoroughly examined by searching throughout the forum. There's so many great and more detailed posts here on each of the above questions. I do have one comment though. While 2 months is ample amount of time, that does assume that you're putting in 10-15 hours a week. I think that the difference per point requires more and more time once you start approaching 700. Good luck and update us on your progress. If you want to form a group to hold each other accountable, feel free to reply here: study-group-in-austin-tx-or-accountability-group-online-133199.html

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Re: help to set up a new study plan   [#permalink] 28 May 2012, 00:01