Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Re: High LSAT scorer transitioning to GMAT: complete! [#permalink]
Kudos
Update:

MGMAT CAT1: 640 (V45 Q34)
MGMAT CAT2: 660 (V45 Q36)
GMATClub Quant: noscore (Q45)
MGMAT CAT3: 740 (V45 Q46) Yeah!

I was able to finish all 37 questions, though I guessed on the last 3 (and strangely got them all right). So Quant may be a tad inflated, but a huge improvement nonetheless.

I'm only shooting for above 700, so consistency is all I'm really asking for at this point. Super amped though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I know I'm talking to myself in this thread but I figure I might as well be thorough for archive purposes (some former LSAT whiz might search this forum one day).

My test is two days away and I just took another CAT.

MGMAT CAT3: 740 (V45 Q46)
GMATPrep 1: 720 (V41 Q48)
GMATPrep 2: 770 (V46 Q50) IR8
MGMAT CAT4: 720 (V45 Q44)
GMATPrep 3: 760 (V44 Q49) IR8

This third official exam is from Exam Pack 1, which I purchased from the official website.

It's interesting that I've kind of maxed out on Verbal. My last two GMATPrep exams I scored V46 (4 wrong) and V44 (5 wrong). For reference, on the LSAT there are generally 50 critical reasoning questions, of which I would miss between 4-5 total.

Just looking at my test scores I think the difference between MGMAT Quant and GMAT Quant is fairly obvious. I've taken the last 5 exams in a 7 day stretch.

Plan for Tomorrow: Last Study Day

I took off work, so my tentative game plan is:
(1 hour) review today's exam
(1 hour) complete practice problems from GMATPrep software (I bought Question Pack 1)
(BREAK) Go to the driving range and hit a bunch of golf balls. Physical activity helps me clear my head of all the x's and y's.
(3 hours) take GMATPrep4 (no AWA).
(BREAK) do anything but GMAT
(1 hour) review GMATPrep 4, read through my notes if i'm inclined. no more practice problems.

.......Hopefully I do well on my last GMATPrep and can go into the test with some momentum! Once again my only goal is to break 700, so things look good so far!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Take a gmat practice test and see how you do.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear mickeyd,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'm working through the Quant Guide and then I'm going to take a practice test to see how I do on the Math. I wanted to know my stuff before taking a timed practice test, which is why I did all the untimed work (I teach the LSAT and most students rush to take practice exams too quickly).

Definitely not underestimating Sentence Correction- gonna tackle that next once I get the math under control. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update, especially as a future resource for anyone transitioning from LSAT to GMAT.

I took an additional month to work on untimed math and the Sentence Correction section (which I picked up fairly quickly), then took a Manhattan CAT for my first practice exam. I ended up with:

640 (Q34 V45)

I was only able to answer 24 questions in Quant. I left the remaining 13 blank. Sounds like I should have listened more closely to the advice I received above regarding timing. I will focus my practice exclusively on timed practice from here on out.

Verbal was generally a breeze. Proficiency in LSAT reasoning and reading comp translated very well (I did not review those GMAT strategies prior to the test). After reviewing my first practice exam, I think I might be able to scrape a few more points in the section, perhaps a 47 or 48.

All in all, I'm still optimistic, as I don't consider myself to be "bad" at math, but definitely need to work on my pace. I'll admit that I was very taken aback by the timed setting and definitely "froze" during Quant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took my second CAT today.

CAT1: 640 (V45 Q34)
CAT2: 660 (V45 Q36)

The only difference is that instead of answering 24 quant questions, I answered 25. I got 9 wrong just like the last time. All questions were 700-800 but 2.

I really have no idea how I'm supposed to get substantially faster in quant. Recently I've been doing OG problems under time (2min/question) and can generally get 9/10 correct in 20 minutes. I just do so much worse when I fire up the Manhattan CATs.

Unfortunately at this point I've used all of the OG problems and all of the Manhattan Quant question banks. Any advice for how to increase my speed?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey mickeyd, I am a similar situation to you. Higher LSAT and already did the law school thing.

I just took my first MGMT test 650 (V41 Q37), no benuo....So I ordered up the MGMT Quant package. Hoping to pull a 750 on the real thing in June, but work is not slowing down and it looks like I have a high bar to reach top 6 Bschool.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SPCsGreatest wrote:
Hey mickeyd, I am a similar situation to you. Higher LSAT and already did the law school thing.

I just took my first MGMT test 650 (V41 Q37), no benuo....So I ordered up the MGMT Quant package. Hoping to pull a 750 on the real thing in June, but work is not slowing down and it looks like I have a high bar to reach top 6 Bschool.

Good luck!

Hey! Pretty awesome score for your first take. Keep in mind I scored my Q34 and Q36 AFTER going through the MGMAT Quant package, so you've definitely got a nice head start.

Recently I've been doing a lot of timed practice. I am hesitant to dive into my most valuable remaining material (GMATPrep Question Pack 1, GMATPrep free exams, Exam Pack 1) before sorting out my speed.

Here's my tentative Quant plan for now: (I have already done all OG and QR questions in an untimed setting)

1. Complete sets of 15 hard questions from OG and Quant Review Guide, 2 minutes each. (Already complete, with mixed results)
2. "Retake" the MGMAT CATs #1 and #2 to try to at least complete them at a 2 minute pace.
3. "Take" the MGMAT Question Banks and force myself to complete them at the 2 minute pace.
4. Take the free GMATClub Quant test.
[and of course, review review review all of this]

If I see progress from this plan, I will move forward with my remaining MGMAT CATs (#3-#6) and the GMATPrep software (Question Pack and exams).

If anyone has comments or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. My goal is a consistent Q40.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mickeyd wrote:
Update:

GMATClub Quant: noscore (Q45)
MGMAT CAT3: 740 (V45 Q46) Yeah!

I was able to finish all 37 questions, though I guessed on the last 3 (and strangely got them all right). So Quant may be a tad inflated, but a huge improvement nonetheless.

I'm only shooting for above 700, so consistency is all I'm really asking for at this point. Super amped though!

Nice. Work has made MGMT studying a bit impossible this week, but its awesome to see that jump happen.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took another one today:

The rumors about MGMAT CATs seemed to hold up (1. MGMAT Verbal scoring is too lenient 2. MGMAT Quant is more difficult than GMATPrep). Little disappointed about the Verbal score but upon review I don't really see where the extra points would have come from. Shocked about the Q48..

Tomorrow I will review and take GMATPrep 2. If I break 700 again I think I'll schedule my exam for 2 weeks out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just finished another one:

GMATPrep 2: 770 (V46 Q50)

Was completely in the zone for Quant, which allowed me to relax a bunch for Verbal (which I consider to be my better section). I'm going to check in with my boss this week and see if I can schedule my exam for next Monday (this weekend isn't available in my area.)

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Six days til test day, took another CAT. Decided to challenge myself with MGMAT Quant.

GMATPrep 2: 770 (V46 Q50)

I only missed 3 Verbal questions, only 1 in the first 30. I think it's pretty silly to calculate a V45 from that.

I missed 17 Quant, 10 of my last 12. Given that I've done OG and GMATPrep exclusively for the past 3 days, I can tell that MGMAT Quant is much more difficult.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also noticed 2 concepts in MGMAT's CATs that do not follow acceptable LSAT logic.

1. Most are = Some are not

On the LSAT, if an argument tells you "Most people in this room are women," it is still entirely possible that "All people in this room are women." You are incorrect on the LSAT to assume that "Some are not women/Some are men."

However, the MGMAT CR question "Creative Professionals" ignores this logical gap.

2. Perception vs. Reality

On the LSAT, if a premise tells you "All men say that they are strong," you don't know if any of them actually are strong. All you know is that they say that they are.

However, on MGMAT CR question "High School Finances," you are told that "one-third of high school seniors say that they have 'significant financial responsibilities.'" In order to select the correct answer, one must accept that the seniors actually have such responsibilities.

I know the LSAT doesn't mimic GMAT logic exactly, but I am not convinced that MGMAT intended to overlook these fallacies.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Last practice exam ever (hopefully!)

GMATPrep 2: 770 (V46 Q50) IR8
GMATPrep 3: 760 (V44 Q49) IR8
GMATPrep 4: 760 (V47 Q48) IR6

Very skeptical that Quant will be this easy on the real thing. Many of the last 15 questions seemed too easy. Felt really great during Verbal. Was disappointed to see one repeat between GMATPrep3 and GMATPrep 4. It was a question that I knew I got right, so I just waited two minutes to select and moved on.

Gameplan for TOMORROW: Test Day (11:30am)

8AM: Wake up, eat breakfast etc. (1 hour)
9AM: Review Quant from GMATPrep 1-4. Really just flip through them, affirm mentally that I get each problem. (1 hour)
10AM: Complete 10ish quant questions from GMATPrep software.
10:30AM: Head to test center

Hope to post a victorious debrief tomorrow!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
mickeyd wrote:
GMAT Conquered!

770 (Q49 V47) IR7

Debrief coming sometime tomorrow. Pumped!

CONGRATULATIONS!! :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts