Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help!! What are my chances of getting in to the phd program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help!! What are my chances of getting in to the phd program? [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 23:06
Hi,

I am seriously contemplating applying to a management phd program. At my age, I need to pick the right path. The admission stats at my dream programs (u of c and northwestern) are discouraging. Unless I can get into a top 20 program, I am hesitant to go. Can you help me gauge my chances?

Goal: phd in management and organizations

Work experience: Former senior manager from big 4 accounting firm
Education: MA in social sciences field 10 plus years ago, program is ranked 11, gpa 3.9, thesis but no publications
BA social sciences, liberal arts college, gpa 3.8
Test scores: tbd, aiming for 710-720
Concerns: I have heard that the phd programs don't value work experience. Is that true? My research experience was more than 10 years ago. How will that read?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help!! What are my chances of getting in to the phd program? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 04:58
I just completed my PhD in December. It sounds like you are in a similar situation to mine when i began my PhD. First, i would recommmend you get an accounting, not a management PhD. Your experience would seem to qualify you for that and the Accounting PhD is the absolute best investment of youf time and money as the average age of accounting professors is over 60. Demand far exceeds suppply and you should be able to easily land a job paying $120k or more eadily if you are willing to move. Legitimate PhDs are about adding to a university's prestige, so tuition is free and you get a small stipend as a research assistant. However, at least at my school, if you got a grade below a B, you would lose the assistantship job and tuition would no longer be free. A PhD is a research degree, but don't worry about past research, a school (which is perfectly within their right) will want to train you in research from scratch using their own methodologies. In my case, I believe I was admitted to my program on the strength of my professional experience. My GMAT score was not spectacular. Admittance is really a matter of luck and fate when you get down to it. Age may work against you a little. If you are a young PhD student, you will have a longer research career. Given the investment made by the school, this is perfectly logical. I have nothing but good things to say about my PhD school. I received a great education and landed my dream job. A lot of sacrifice is involved, but in the end, it is worth it. Good Luck!
Re: Help!! What are my chances of getting in to the phd program?   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2012, 04:58