Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with a low Verbal Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Help with a low Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 04:33
I need some advise, I began my prep in early September(put in approx 10-14hrs + a week), my test is scheduled for 11/7(I plan to reschedule it for 11/23). I have gone over the following books:
CR Bible, MGMAT SC, (2-3 Quant books by MGMAT), OG12/OG11 , OG Verbal Review, OG Quant review(partly). In addition to these I am going over the LSAT RC review (powerscore). I hadnt administered any full length tests (CBT or other) till today - and got a reality check when I completed my first Powerprep(610 Q47, v27). I couldnt complete the Verbal section, I managed doing 30Q's and guessed the last 3-4(taking the attempted score to 34). I know what my weaknesses are, but dont know how to tackle them.

I think there something I need to change in the way I attack a question. Here is what I do for each of the verbal questions:
SC- I read the question , then look for possible errors in the stem - then go the answers and see which choice(s) eliminates that error. Thus I make a set of Contenders - which I end up reading again. This entire drill takes me around 1-1:20" seconds and more often than not I end up re-reading the question and or the contenders.
CR-I tackle the CR questions by going over the stimulus and familiarizing myself with the content and then read the question stem(I typically categorize a problem based on the classifications given in Powerscore CR Bible) and then proceed as suggested. I tend to re-read the question stem , which eats up my time and at the end of the day I spend an average of 2-3 mins per CR question depending on the level of the question.
RC-I believe this is another kink in my armor - I have read quite a few posts that suggest dont get into details - just skim through and get an idea of the structure. I dont know how to get an idea if I dont read the entire passage and understand it a little. Result is, I spend 4-5mins(3-4 min on a small passage) reading a long passage and spend another 1/2 minute summarizing it in my mind. When I get to the questions I spend another 1-2 mins answering each of them.

I am a slow reader(lets say below average), even though I have completed all the material mentioned above(most of it in the allotted time)with the exception of RC's - its kind of a rude shock to see everything thrown at you at once(in the real test).
I have the 6 Full length tests from MGMAT and that's about it - where do I get additional material. Also, I think it would make sense if I practice individual sections rather than bits and pieces of RC's,SC's,CR's.

I know the biggest mistake in my prep was taking the full length test - so late in the game. I dont know if there is enough time for damage control,but will try nevertheless.

Would appreciate your response/ Advise.
(I haven't proof read the draft so please excuse any grammatical errors!)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help with a low Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 07:44
Hello vicksikand,

Your biggest vices appear to be confidence and timing.

The materials you have used have been sufficient for others, but remember, everyone is different and as such will need to address weaknesses differently.

Go through the debriefs in the share your GMAT experience thread and look for people with similar shortcomings. See if there are other things people have tried that work for him/her.

Regarding your practice test:

Use this practice test to create an action plan for resolving your shortcomings. Going through debriefs, you will find some other strategies or sources for additional content/material. When you feel you've made some improvement, take another practice test and reassess your position.

The goal is to note shortcomings and figuring out how to overcome them. Take the time to resolve the root issue so you avoid repeating past mistakes.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with a low Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 08:25
I did go through the de-briefings, not very thoroughly though. I kind of have an idea where I lack - my approach to RC questions/passages is not the best -it does require some fine-tuning. SC's I believe I remmember most of the rules mentioned in MGMAT - but sometimes I take too much time to apply them, as for CR's I have a decent strike rate (7-8 correct out of 10 on a consistent basis - averaging between 2 to 2:30"). I havent been used to seeing all the questions thrown at me at the same time so - need to take a bunch of section tests. I will take your advise and go over the "de-briefings" today.

Thanks for your response!
Re: Help with a low Verbal Score   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2009, 08:25