Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with choosing schools for this year

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 21:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yeah, I know its late in the application period, but I really want to apply for business school to start this August.

Here is some info on me:

Undergrad: Electrical Engineering, 82% average from a Canadian university (I applied to grad school to McGill before, and they converted it to a 3.54 GPA)
Work Experience: 4 years manufacturing, 1 year research
GMAT: 770 (50 Q, 45 V), 1st try

I'm looking to switch careers, from an engineering focus into finance.

Here are the schools I am thinking about for application in the next month:

Columbia
Dartmouth
Univ of Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
McGill

Which schools look appropriate for me to focus on? Are there other schools that you would recommend, that historically take in more round 3/4 applications than others?

I really appreciate any help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:56
what about an MBA in Asia (China / Hong Kong)?

I understand that more and more western bankers and investment professionals want to know about China, therefore, Hong Kong would be a great alternative if you are considering a career in this fast growing region.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:25
If your professional career is strong, you have a solid chance at all of those schools... BUT the last round is tough... I would suggest going for 1 or 2 schools in the last round, and if you get in GREAT, if not, you have a good amount of time to craft your story before R1 apps next year.

It's worth trying... but is it worth going this year if you get into Georgetown, when there's a chance you'd get into Columbia or Wharton next year?
Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 20:22
lovelygolden wrote:

I understand that more and more western bankers and investment professionals want to know about China, therefore, Hong Kong would be a great alternative if you are considering a career in this fast growing region.

Hey, thanks for the response. As good as schools are in Asia, I have a hard time seeing myself leave North America. Hell, I can't see myself leave the Northeast! There are some really great schools and career opportunities in Asia though, but I think I'm going to stay over here.
Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 20:25
highwyre237 wrote:
If your professional career is strong, you have a solid chance at all of those schools... BUT the last round is tough... I would suggest going for 1 or 2 schools in the last round, and if you get in GREAT, if not, you have a good amount of time to craft your story before R1 apps next year.

It's worth trying... but is it worth going this year if you get into Georgetown, when there's a chance you'd get into Columbia or Wharton next year?

I work for Procter & Gamble - its not a leadership position (I'm a Process Engineer), but I do think it's pretty strong experience. I don't have very strong extracurriculars though, that's my worry.

It just really feels like the right time to go to school, it'll accelerate my career big-time. And I really don't want to wait another year...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 01:02
sonnygupta wrote:
lovelygolden wrote:

Hey, thanks for the response. As good as schools are in Asia, I have a hard time seeing myself leave North America. Hell, I can't see myself leave the Northeast! There are some really great schools and career opportunities in Asia though, but I think I'm going to stay over here.

As long as you want to get yourself into Aisa, join the exchange program in Asian school. At least you will have an up-close-and-personal insight about the Asian countries!
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 21:51
Hi Sonny,

KUDOS on your GMAT!!
You have a decent profile and with 4+ yrs. of work experience, you are in an ideal phase of your profession which most of the b-schools look for. With the given information you may target schools like: Wharton, Stanford, CBS, Booth, NYU-Stern, Yale, Cornell, McDonough, Kenan-Flagler, LBS, Cambridge, IESE, St.Gallen-HSG, NUS & Nanyang. These are few good schools in US, UK & APAC region and have decent placements in finance post-MBA. You may also try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/bschool-selector.

While applying in the schools mentioned above, you must submit strong application essays and prepare to answer questions like how MBA from XYZ school will help you to achieve your goals and demonstrate unique leadership style and team work.

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have. You can PM your details to have a discussion over your profile and selection of b-school(s).

Cheers!!
Neha 

sonnygupta wrote:
Yeah, I know its late in the application period, but I really want to apply for business school to start this August.

Here is some info on me:

Undergrad: Electrical Engineering, 82% average from a Canadian university (I applied to grad school to McGill before, and they converted it to a 3.54 GPA)
Work Experience: 4 years manufacturing, 1 year research
GMAT: 770 (50 Q, 45 V), 1st try

I'm looking to switch careers, from an engineering focus into finance.

Here are the schools I am thinking about for application in the next month:

Columbia
Dartmouth
Univ of Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
McGill

Which schools look appropriate for me to focus on? Are there other schools that you would recommend, that historically take in more round 3/4 applications than others?

I really appreciate any help!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 13:29
So, it's been a CRAZY 4 months, studying/writing the GMAT, then applications, then interviews....

It looks like my choices will be Darden vs. Cornell, and to be honest, I've been going crazy the last week comparing the two. Here's what I have so far:

Darden:
- seems like an incredible experience with the case method (I really want to improve my debating/interpersonal skills, and this seems like a great opportunity for that)
- pretty strong in finance, but lots of other opportunities to explore
- career services seems extremely strong
- really like that they have career exploration workshops. I'm leaning towards finance, but I definitely have an open mind
- love the variety of clubs there
- known for great alumni (then again, so is Cornell)
- everyone there was really really nice, and seemed very mature

Cornell:
- Ivy league name
- really enjoyed my visit there. Students really seemed like my type of people.
- I sat in a class that was all student presentations - really impressed with the students that presented! Great communication skills
- Sage Hall is great
- closer to NYC/Boston, where I want to end up after I graduate
- seems to place a lot in finance
- Career services seemed a bit odd; students mentioned that they had little interaction with the CDC and were led through the process by second years. Doesn't seem as strong as Darden (though employment stats from Cornell are great)
- Immersion program could really help me, since I'm transitioning from operations/engineering
- Closer to where I am now, so I'm envisioning an easier move

I can't decide! Anyone have anything else I should think about?

I haven't received any scholarship money from either school (though I'm on a Cornell scholarship "waitlist"), so I've thought about maybe re-applying next year. However, I'm going to be 29 this summer, and I can't see myself staying at my current job for another year. I've thought about one-year "Teach for America" type things, but looks like I'm a bit late for those too. And either way, both of these schools are great, and I feel ready to take on the challenge.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 15:17
sonnygupta wrote:
So, it's been a CRAZY 4 months, studying/writing the GMAT, then applications, then interviews....

It looks like my choices will be Darden vs. Cornell, and to be honest, I've been going crazy the last week comparing the two.

First off, congratulations! You really pulled stuff together FAST.

I'm going to summarize your post:

Darden: "I love the curriculum and career support. The people are nice"
Cornell: "The people are AMAZING. The location and facilities are great. Career services are so-so."

I am hearing that you're way more enthusiastic about Darden's program but more impressed by Cornell's students. If I were in your shoes, it would be a no-brainer. I'd go to Cornell because the people make the place. The case method won't be as interesting if the people aren't interesting. That and our careers are propelled more by relationships with our peers and alumni than career services.

That said, perhaps Darden will challenge you more given its tough case method, and could give you a leg-up with its impressive career support. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, I personally want to be around people that fascinate and inspire me.

Let me know if I'm reading between the lines too much, but it's my sense. Your reaction to my advice will obviously tell you what your preference is (secretly!). When do you need to decide by?

Good luck!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 06:59
machichi wrote:
sonnygupta wrote:

It looks like my choices will be Darden vs. Cornell, and to be honest, I've been going crazy the last week comparing the two.

First off, congratulations! You really pulled stuff together FAST.

I'm going to summarize your post:

Darden: "I love the curriculum and career support. The people are nice"
Cornell: "The people are AMAZING. The location and facilities are great. Career services are so-so."

Let me know if I'm reading between the lines too much, but it's my sense. Your reaction to my advice will obviously tell you what your preference is (secretly!). When do you need to decide by?

Good luck!

machichi, I think you're close. At the same time, at Johnson, I had a lot more interaction with students than I did at Darden, so there was more opportunity to get to know them.

I was initially leaning Darden, but now I'm starting to turn Johnson. I don't want to sit in lectures all day, so that's why I like the case method, but I really like Johnson's immersion program.

The first deposit for Johnson is May 21st, with a second in June. Darden's deposit is due in June.

Oh, and yeah, about the pulling things together quickly, I decided just before Christmas that I was going to do a MBA. I really need to plan things out better :(

Also, congratulations on Yale! That's going to be a great experience.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 07:26
Both schools will get you a solid finance roll, and open the door to other options (I'm heading to Johnson, and focusing on either Consulting or Marketing). The choice should really come down to fit. I got a different vibe from these two schools, and for me the fit was better at Johnson.

I've met some great future students, and I can promise that if you come to Ithaca, it'll be a great experience.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 10:01
sonnygupta wrote:
machichi, I think you're close. At the same time, at Johnson, I had a lot more interaction with students than I did at Darden, so there was more opportunity to get to know them.

I was initially leaning Darden, but now I'm starting to turn Johnson. I don't want to sit in lectures all day, so that's why I like the case method, but I really like Johnson's immersion program.

The first deposit for Johnson is May 21st, with a second in June. Darden's deposit is due in June.

Oh, and yeah, about the pulling things together quickly, I decided just before Christmas that I was going to do a MBA. I really need to plan things out better :(

Also, congratulations on Yale! That's going to be a great experience.

Mmm, I see. You don't feel like you've given Darden students a fair shake yet? I am sure that Johnson uses the case method. All schools do. To be honest, a major reason I didn't apply to Darden is because it felt like their instruction model was very one-dimensional. I liked that the other schools I applied to mixed up their pedagogy - immersion, case method, lecture, etc.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm psyched! You're going to have a great experience wherever you end up!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.

Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 17:57
I just noticed you are waiting on Tuck. Is Tuck your first choice?

Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 20:32
machichi wrote:
I just noticed you are waiting on Tuck. Is Tuck your first choice?

Yeah, if I get into Tuck, I'll head there. But that was my first interview, and I don't remember it going as well as either Darden or Johnson, so I don't have much hope.
Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 20:35
highwyre237 wrote:
Both schools will get you a solid finance roll, and open the door to other options (I'm heading to Johnson, and focusing on either Consulting or Marketing). The choice should really come down to fit. I got a different vibe from these two schools, and for me the fit was better at Johnson.

I've met some great future students, and I can promise that if you come to Ithaca, it'll be a great experience.

Promise? I might hold you to it :)

Anyway, I'm going to continue contacting students to hear their experiences. Seems like employment opportunities are pretty similar for both, so it really comes down to which experience I think will be better. Lots to think about this weekend!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '14
GMAT Date: 07-20-2013
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 01:22
Hie,

I am Swaroop from India with 3 years of experience in software quality assurance domain as a Test Engineer in a top Indian Information Technology company.
I have a Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communications Engineer from a top private college under Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University with an aggregate percentage of 83.33%, with my 12th class of 96.8% and 10th of 87.50%.
I am interested to do MBA in Leadership/Strategy/HR domains.
I have a few leadership experiences in a couple of NGOs and Toastmasters International.
I am planning to take GMAT in a couple of months and apply to schools along with scholarship request.
Please guide me in choosing schools so that I do not miss out on deadlines for Round 1.

Swaroop,
facebook username: iamdvsk
facebook page title: Leadership Junkie

Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Help with choosing schools for this year [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 06:50
Looks like you've gotten some great advice here. As someone who originally deposited at Darden (and loved virtually everything about it), I just wanted to throw in my .02.

I'd go to Cornell if I were you--you're simply gonna have better opportunities in the Northeast and in finance. And this is on top of the fact that you already like the people, vibe, curriculum, etc. Darden's career services are exceptionally well-run (probably more so than any other school I visited, including Yale), so maybe by comparison it seems like Cornell is sub-par. But the proof is in the pudding, and as you noted, Cornell places well, particularly in finance. I totally understand the appeal of Darden, but Cornell clearly seems like the best fit for you.

...well, unless you get into Tuck. Good luck on that, and let us know what you decide!
Re: Help with choosing schools for this year   [#permalink] 22 May 2013, 06:50