Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Wharton
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Help with CR [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 21:05
Hi... I have been practicing CR questions from both the official GMAT resources (OG/ GMAT Prep) and the MGMAT CR question bank. The issue is that I notice a huge difference in the results: while my accuracy in the questions from OG/ GMAT Prep is around 90%, my accuracy in the MGMAT CR section is a dismal 50 %.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue? Does this mean that the questions in the MGMAT bank are not representative of the actual GMAT questions, or is it that the latter are substantially tougher? Perhaps, this is just an issue with lack of preparation on my part?

Thanks in advance for sharing your viewpoint. I think I should get the much-talked about Powerscore CR book.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help with CR [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 00:35
Hi,

I will recommend you to start studying from Powerscore CR book. It will definetly help you a LOT!

Am not a verbal guy so my advice might not be so helpful to you, but still i will try sharing my thoughts!
WQhat will you get after reading Powerscore CR bible?
Once you are done with reading the CR argument, you will be able to predict what kind of question is going to come and what will be the possible answer? (I was able to do those things once i was done with powerscore CR!)
Also, did you try grockit for practice? It helps a lot in improving the speed. And am very sure that once you are with powerscore then you can get almost all CR questions correct.

Am not srue about the different scores u r getting in MGMAT CR and OG. (I never really faced any such situtation)

Good Luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Wharton
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Help with CR [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:08
Thanks not only for the valuable information, but also for the positive outlook! :P
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 181

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 3

Re: Help with CR [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:13
Expert's post
Hi sayak,

Comparing the 90% figure to the 50% figure is not an appropriate comparison; it's comparing apples to oranges.

The 90% figure is from randomly selected questions - in other words, some are very easy, some are easy, some are medium, some are hard, some are very hard.

The 50% figure is from an ADAPTIVE TEST - in other words, once the test learns you are pretty good at this, it intentionally tries to select questions that you have roughly a 1 in 2 chance of getting right, meaning you are probably seeing only hard questions. So of course you will get fewer right.

This doesn't mean the MGMAT questions you see are harder than what you see on the real test - in fact, it means that many of the OG problems you are doing are easier than what you will see on the real test because the GMAT will select certain questions just for you based on your performance.

Check around the forum for more info on the GMAT and adaptive testing! You might also want to check out the MGMAT Roadmap for info on the difference between studying from the OG and taking a practice test.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Help with CR   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2012, 10:13