Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Critical Reasoning Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 20:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi all,

I went through Manhattan CR guide, followed their approach but questions are not completing in 2 min time frame and I am not also getting all of them right. CR is pretty bad in a nutshell. I went through some of the discussions here and people recommend Powerscore CR bible.

I have below questions

1. Do we need to diagram as suggested in MGMAT guide?

2. Are there specific question types where diagramming absolutely helps? Are there question types where we can avoid diagramming totally?

3. While using Powerscore CR, I am assuming they dont ask to diagram from what I read in the forum? If so what do they ask to focus on in the whole passage or question type?

4. While going through Powerscore CR, if I had to make notes for each question type what is the easiest way to do that? Something that I could go over before taking any practice test and also before GMAT.

Please let me know.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 09:01
Could some one please reply to my questions?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 09:23
1. Do we need to diagram as suggested in MGMAT guide?

Yes the most important thing in the Manhattan CR Guide is diagramming. Learn and master it so it is second nature.

2. Are there specific question types where diagramming absolutely helps? Are there question types where we can avoid diagramming totally?

I use diagramming for all questions, but its most helpful in Cause and Effect Reasoning Questions.

3. While using Powerscore CR, I am assuming they dont ask to diagram from what I read in the forum? If so what do they ask to focus on in the whole passage or question type?[/b

]I would diagram anywaya. focus on diagramming the passage.

[b]4. While going through Powerscore CR, if I had to make notes for each question type what is the easiest way to do that? Something that I could go over before taking any practice test and also before GMAT.

Make a copy of the page at the back of each chapter it has a great summary that you can add notes too. Most likely it has everything. Thats what I use.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 00:55
Thanks,

I am not able to diagram within 30 seconds and it usually takes longer for me to complete the question. Do you have any list of abbreviations that you end up using most often in all the questions you have done?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 08:43
Diagramming comes with practice. Take some OG questions you have already done and practice diagramming them. The symbol I use the most is the down arrow it indicates that one thing caused. I use three dots for the conclusion. My Diagramming is nothing pretty lol
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 17:47
Thanks,

While Diagramming, do you put the conclusion down first by reading the question (if it says anything abt conclusion) or you read the argument, take note of premise and in the end note down the conclusion

Another thing how much of the premise info that you put supporting conclusion or negating it do you end up really using or it is mainly to help you keep in mind what the passage said. 2 mins may not be enough to always re read all your notes.
Re: Help with Critical Reasoning Questions   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2012, 17:47