Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Everyone!

I took the GMAT for the first time today and scored a 710. I know this is a decent score, but I'm really disappointed in my split. I scored Q44 (61st) V42 (96th). In every practice test I've completed I've always gotten at least a Q46, and averaged around Q48. During the test I completely lost track of time and ended up guessing on a minimum of 10 questions. I've never run out of time in any of my practice exams, so I'm assuming that it must have been nerves. However, a V42 is the best verbal score that I have ever gotten, so I'm not sure I would be able to get the same score again.

I'm planning on applying to a PhD program in Marketing, and ideally want to attend a top 10 school. My score meets/surpasses the average for three of the schools I'm looking in to, but I'm worried that they will see my quant score and write me off, regardless of my total score.
I'd appreciate any insight on whether or not I should retake.
Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 19:52
Expert's post
hey Dan,

You probably do not need to retake this test. 710 is a good score, and the fact that your verbal outstrips your quant in this one instance of the test might actually do 2 things for you:

(1) make you more attractive as a candidate for marketing
(2) incite questions about your math, in which case you can lean on other stories corroborating your math skills, and how this was actually one of your weaker performances in math

That said, purely as an academic exercise at this point, what's your typical verbal percentile? 96 is your personal best, but are you always in the high 80's/low 90's? And what about math? Are you typically much higher?

the GMAT overall score is based on a bivariate (math and quant) normal distribution, meaning that you get EXTRA recognition for being pretty good in both areas, rather than being exceptional in one and avg in the other, so in theory, if you only drop a bit in verbal (and are therefore still pretty good) but get a "pretty good" quant score instead of ur current avg score, you have a very real shot of hitting a higher mark next time around.

Again, this is probably not necessary, because frankly, if the rest of your application isn't very strong, an extra 20-30 points on your GMAT isn't what's going to put you over the top.

hope this helps!

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 00:59
Hi

Its good to have a score of 710 with verbal- 96 percentile. I would rather say that you need not to worry. Your scores does not show that you are weak in the area of verbal; But Rather document your strength in both Quant and verbal. +- 5% variability is expected with quant and verbal section. So cheer up and go ahead with your application.

Beast of Luck

:-D

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 09:10
DDB1981 wrote:
hey Dan,

You probably do not need to retake this test. 710 is a good score, and the fact that your verbal outstrips your quant in this one instance of the test might actually do 2 things for you:

(1) make you more attractive as a candidate for marketing
(2) incite questions about your math, in which case you can lean on other stories corroborating your math skills, and how this was actually one of your weaker performances in math

That said, purely as an academic exercise at this point, what's your typical verbal percentile? 96 is your personal best, but are you always in the high 80's/low 90's? And what about math? Are you typically much higher?

the GMAT overall score is based on a bivariate (math and quant) normal distribution, meaning that you get EXTRA recognition for being pretty good in both areas, rather than being exceptional in one and avg in the other, so in theory, if you only drop a bit in verbal (and are therefore still pretty good) but get a "pretty good" quant score instead of ur current avg score, you have a very real shot of hitting a higher mark next time around.

Again, this is probably not necessary, because frankly, if the rest of your application isn't very strong, an extra 20-30 points on your GMAT isn't what's going to put you over the top.

hope this helps!

That definitely does help! I usually fall in the V40/41 area, so still around the 90th percentile in quant. Do you know around what I would need to get in quant to fall into the "very good" category? I'm assuming around the 80th percentile?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 09:11
rango wrote:
Hi

Its good to have a score of 710 with verbal- 96 percentile. I would rather say that you need not to worry. Your scores does not show that you are weak in the area of verbal; But Rather document your strength in both Quant and verbal. +- 5% variability is expected with quant and verbal section. So cheer up and go ahead with your application.

Beast of Luck

:-D

Thank you so much for the reply!
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 09:31
Expert's post
Hi there,

I agree that you probably do not need to retake the exam.

From one test to the next you can easily jump +/- 30 points (and even up to 80 or so) depending on where the mistakes are. So you can get the same percentage of right and wrong on two exams with the same amount of knowledge and yet have a score that differs by quite a bit. This is the same as the real GMAT. To illustrate, I can make a mistake every other question in the Quant over 5 exams (ie in every exam my percentage is 50% but have a score range from, say, a 15 to a 35, for example, which is quite insane, but it shows too that where you make mistakes can often be more important than how many. Overall, when a student wants to know where he/she stands, the best way to do so is to take the average after a few exams. This should get you to a fairly close estimation of where you are at. You can also check out our blog for more info on GMAT scoring (gmat.economist.com/blog).

I do wish to add the following. While I like to encourage students to retake exams if they have the energy and time to do so, in certain circumstances in may not be necessary especially in the context of other application criteria. So altogether a retake is good for students who are both far and close to their GMAT range but this will take dedication and further practice. If you have it in you to do so then go for it! If you have other aspects you need to take care of but are already at your range then I do not see it as all important. The other aspects of the application may carry quite a bit more weight. And finally, you can always ask the school itself whether it is worth doing. Sometimes they actually help in that regard.

Best of luck!

Elizabeth

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 17:25
Expert's post
medaniel wrote:
That definitely does help! I usually fall in the V40/41 area, so still around the 90th percentile in quant. Do you know around what I would need to get in quant to fall into the "very good" category? I'm assuming around the 80th percentile?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

What i'm here for!

80-90 range quant would push your score up significantly even if you score 90th in verbal.

Lemme know if you need help getting there,
Dave

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Re: Help with Decision to Retake GMAT for Marketing PhD   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2014, 17:25