Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with planning an AWA essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help with planning an AWA essay [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 11:44
Hey there,

I just started looking at the AWA section and tried to write a few practice essays. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with getting started.

I can see flaws in the assumptions of the author. I can think of counterexamples and alternative explanations that would weaken the argument. I can think of things that would make the argument more logical. I can tell if evidence was used to actually support the argument.

I just can't get going with the actual writing. In my first paragraph, I want to identify the argument but I can't seem to do that.

The example below is the one that I'm working on right now.

The following appeared in a memorandum issued by a large city’s council on the arts:
“In a recent citywide poll, 15% more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago. During these past five years, the number of people visiting our city’s art museums has increased by a similar percentage. Since the corporate funding that supports public television, where most of the visual arts programs appear, is now being threatened with severe cuts, we can expect that attendance at our city’s art museums will also start to decrease. Thus some of the city’s funds for supporting the arts should be reallocated to public television.”

My ideas:
They state: 15% more (than 5 years ago) watch tv programs about arts. Number of ppl visiting museums has increased by same numbers. Since funding for tv programs is being threatened, less people will be going to the museums. More money should go to the arts.

They assume:
Increase in museum attendance is tied to increased viewing of arts tv programs.
Less arts tv means less museum attendance.
The city's money for visual arts would be better spent on public tv

They conclude:
More city money should go to public tv

Questions I raised:
Why do they think that 2 unrelated facts (that the viewership went up and the museum attendance went up) are related?
If they think that the tv programs make people want to go to museums are there other ways (that might be cheaper) to get people to go to museums?
Are there other explanations for the increase in museum attendance? Like museums doing their own advertising & marketing
Is there enough city money to go to arts programs?

So would the argument be....
Because there has been a simultaneous increase in viewership of visual arts programs and museum attendance, the city needs to allocate more funds to public television and less to supporting the arts so that museum attendance doesn't fall when funding for public television decreases.

I would appreciate any help!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: Help with planning an AWA essay [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 12:10
Google (or search in gmatclub forums) the awa guide by chineseburned. There is an outline with some keywords to use throughout the essay.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Help with planning an AWA essay   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2012, 12:10