Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 17:59
Hi Paul
Thanks for evaluating for my profile. Details below:
Education: PhD 4/4 Purdue Chemical Engg, BTech IIT 9.2/10
Gmat 710 50q37v
Work Ex: 9yrs with oil&gas major: Technical Lead
Ex Curr: Dramatics, Theatre, Writing
I know I am on the older side of candidates and my GMAT isn't truly that great. Can you shed light for Top 10? I am very interested in Finance and would like to be in a Finance+Energy role postMBA. I note that you are very positive in most of your responses but I am concerned about the age in my case and the PhD. Would adcoms be accommodating? Thanks
Mainhoon

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 195

Re: Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 22:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mainhoon,

Thanks for getting straight to your primary concern. I will likewise get right to it:

Your age isn't the issue here, it's the necessity of the MBA and whether it will work for you the way you want it to. Will your work experience/skills + an MBA = the job you want after graduation? Put yourself in the shoes of the recruiters at your desired job. If they interviewed you today, would you be able to land the job (the answer needs to be "no")? If they interviewed you in one year, as a member of the first year class at School X, would you be able to land the job (the answer needs to be "yes")? The MBA needs to be the exact solution to your progression.

The concern with someone 34 years old is not that he is 34 years old ... it's that he's deep into a career path where either the dye has been cast and recruiters in that field aren't going to bite, or the individual in question has already glided past the point where a full-time MBA would be helpful.

If you fit into any of those boxes, you have to think about part-time programs so that you can avail yourself of the knowledge, network, and brand of an elite b school without subjecting yourself to the total excavation that comes about because of the "employability" aspect of full-time programs.

If you don't fit those boxes and you can show a clear need for the MBA at this time, you can be competitive.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Re: Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 08:51
This is a VERY good answer Paul. I have BS in EE and 10 years of progressive IT experience. Now I'm targeting MBA in Private Equity with Turnaround Management focus. What I understand from your post is that even the "total excavation" may not be enough for me to be a sell-able asset with recruiters in Private Equity field. It sounds like as if MBA in IT (my backup plan) would be a much easier selling point since I can't land CTO now but after a year at top MBA school + my mid-level managerial experience in IT would do the trick. What do you think?

thanks, Ilya

P.S. How can I get in touch with you for a consultation?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 17:50
Expert's post
Ilya,

You've got it. You want to present the most palatable career path possible.

You can email us at consult@amerasiallc.com for an initial consultation. We will then give you scheduling information as well as access to our password-protected client survey. Make sure to include your GMAT Club user name in the subject line so that we can easily spot it.

Look forward to helping you out.

Best,
PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton