Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:14

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Profile Evaluation please!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 00:49
Hello Linda,
I'd really appreciate your help with this evaluation. I need to decide which school to apply to and also how to improve my profile for the Top-10.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience:

Indian, male, 23.

I have been a Graduate Engineer Trainee with a Fortune 500 (Top15) company for the past 1.5 years. This is my 3rd rotation in the program.
My rotations:

Engineering (8 months): Handled projects worth $200,000 in my first 6 months. Successfully completed Factory Acceptance Test with the End User by myself. Assisted on several other projects, with programming, planning etc.

Sales (8 months): Made regular cold calls, generated firm inquiries within the designated 8 months, with some of them being converted to Sales. (Progress was a little slow due to an illness and subsequently, death in the family). :(

Marketing (2 months): Responsible for qualifying leads, releasing quarterly newsletter, customer interaction, organizing National Level Meets. Coordinated the National Sales Meet in Feb 2013.

Working on developing a hardware product with my father's embedded electronics company by mid-2014.

2) Your GMAT: Haven't taken it yet. But I am certain of getting 720+.

3) College info: B.E (2011) from Pune University with 58% (Approximately 3.0 according to WES). No particular reason for it, except my involvement in drama and other cultural/organizational activities in college.

4) (i) Cultural Secretary for my department (Electronics and Telecommunications)
(ii) Founding member for cultural committee in college and Lead Actor and Coordinator for the college's production for a State-Level drama competition. Raised funds from the college for the production, beginning at $400 (compared to other colleges' $2000) in 2009 to $1000 in 2011.
(iii) Part of organizing committee for the National Level Technical Fest held by the college every year, regular organizing member of college's annual cultural festival.
(iv) Prefect, Best All-Round Student in High School
(v) Initiated the participation of the High School's team in district cricket tournaments.

5) Important certifications: Certificate Program in Business Management from the Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, the Business School in the IIT Bombay campus. The course involved lectures and assessments on First Year subjects in their MBA program. This was done along with my Final Year of B.E, through distance learning.

A1 level in French Language cleared, applying to Level A2.

6) Your target programs: None yet. Was hoping you could help me with some schools! :)

7) When you plan to apply: Mostly by 2014, second half. By which time I will have completed 3 years of Work Experience.

8) Your post-MBA goal: To work in Strategy or Marketing and later to start my own company, hopefully product-based.

PS: How much does it help my profile if I join a startup?

Thanks a lot!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4804
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 21:55
Expert's post
makshinde wrote:
Hello Linda,
I'd really appreciate your help with this evaluation. I need to decide which school to apply to and also how to improve my profile for the Top-10.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience:

Indian, male, 23.

I have been a Graduate Engineer Trainee with a Fortune 500 (Top15) company for the past 1.5 years. This is my 3rd rotation in the program.
My rotations:

Engineering (8 months): Handled projects worth $200,000 in my first 6 months. Successfully completed Factory Acceptance Test with the End User by myself. Assisted on several other projects, with programming, planning etc.

Sales (8 months): Made regular cold calls, generated firm inquiries within the designated 8 months, with some of them being converted to Sales. (Progress was a little slow due to an illness and subsequently, death in the family). :(

Marketing (2 months): Responsible for qualifying leads, releasing quarterly newsletter, customer interaction, organizing National Level Meets. Coordinated the National Sales Meet in Feb 2013.

Working on developing a hardware product with my father's embedded electronics company by mid-2014.

2) Your GMAT: Haven't taken it yet. But I am certain of getting 720+.

3) College info: B.E (2011) from Pune University with 58% (Approximately 3.0 according to WES). No particular reason for it, except my involvement in drama and other cultural/organizational activities in college.

4) (i) Cultural Secretary for my department (Electronics and Telecommunications)
(ii) Founding member for cultural committee in college and Lead Actor and Coordinator for the college's production for a State-Level drama competition. Raised funds from the college for the production, beginning at $400 (compared to other colleges' $2000) in 2009 to $1000 in 2011.
(iii) Part of organizing committee for the National Level Technical Fest held by the college every year, regular organizing member of college's annual cultural festival.
(iv) Prefect, Best All-Round Student in High School
(v) Initiated the participation of the High School's team in district cricket tournaments.

5) Important certifications: Certificate Program in Business Management from the Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, the Business School in the IIT Bombay campus. The course involved lectures and assessments on First Year subjects in their MBA program. This was done along with my Final Year of B.E, through distance learning.

A1 level in French Language cleared, applying to Level A2.

6) Your target programs: None yet. Was hoping you could help me with some schools! :)

7) When you plan to apply: Mostly by 2014, second half. By which time I will have completed 3 years of Work Experience.

8) Your post-MBA goal: To work in Strategy or Marketing and later to start my own company, hopefully product-based.

PS: How much does it help my profile if I join a startup?

Thanks a lot!


Consider programs like HEC Paris, UNC, Duke, UT Austin, Emory, USC Marshall, IE, and Darden. You may also want to look in to the MS in Entrepreneurship at U of Michigan.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 00:28
Thanks a lot for the reply! I checked the Masters in Entrepreneurship from UMich, it looks interesting. I was hoping you could help me with a few things:
1) What are my chances at schools like Booth, Stanford or Haas? Is my work experience too less for the top 20?
2) What is missing from my profile?
3) Do I have a shot at the schools mentioned above if I show leadership and have startup experience? (I'm planning to join a software/retail startup in India)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4804
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 21:36
Expert's post
makshinde wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply! I checked the Masters in Entrepreneurship from UMich, it looks interesting. I was hoping you could help me with a few things:
1) What are my chances at schools like Booth, Stanford or Haas? Is my work experience too less for the top 20?
2) What is missing from my profile?
3) Do I have a shot at the schools mentioned above if I show leadership and have startup experience? (I'm planning to join a software/retail startup in India)
makshinde wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply! I checked the Masters in Entrepreneurship from UMich, it looks interesting. I was hoping you could help me with a few things:
1) What are my chances at schools like Booth, Stanford or Haas? Is my work experience too less for the top 20?
2) What is missing from my profile?
3) Do I have a shot at the schools mentioned above if I show leadership and have startup experience? (I'm planning to join a software/retail startup in India)

You're welcome!

1. I don't think your chances at STanford, Booth, or Haas are very good. I don't recommend applying. Your work experience is on the low side for the top 20, Aim for schoosl with lower average ages, like CMU Tepper or Rochester Simon.
2. I high level of achievement, leadership, and impact. You may have it, but it's not showing in your post. Your GPA could also be an issue.
3. It depends what you do at the startup. If you make a major contribution and difference, then it will enhance your profile. Working at a start-up is not automatically a plus or a negative.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 12:57
Hello Linda,

Thank you for the reply! It is very helpful to know which schools/region to target

Since my last post I have changed my company. Have been working with a startup in the education technology space in India for the past 9 months or so. I have been working in a Sales/Business Development (BD) role. During this time I have covered the entire sales/BD cycle from market research, data qualification/organization, cold-calling, pitching and closing for the B2B product. I have worked with the product development team to shape some aspects of the product. I have been closely involved with the strategy or approach to the market (which market to target, whether to go for inbound or outbound sales, product placement etc.). I work directly with the Sales/BD head to handle pan-India marketing/sales for the product. Most of the sales/planning activites for the product have since been handed over to me. Now I'm in more of a managerial/leadership role for the recently launched B2C product where I have to decide the process for sales and partnerships with channels for sales. I will be handling a team of 3-4 to streamline the company's sales activities. I think this has added significantly to my experience and will really give me some quality leadership experience.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for improvements in the profile and your opinion on whether this adds to my previous post. I plan to work on Business Development for technology companies. Any schools you would suggest in particular for my profile and my plans for technology/strategy?

Thank you!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4804
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 08:10
Expert's post
makshinde wrote:
Hello Linda,

Thank you for the reply! It is very helpful to know which schools/region to target

Since my last post I have changed my company. Have been working with a startup in the education technology space in India for the past 9 months or so. I have been working in a Sales/Business Development (BD) role. During this time I have covered the entire sales/BD cycle from market research, data qualification/organization, cold-calling, pitching and closing for the B2B product. I have worked with the product development team to shape some aspects of the product. I have been closely involved with the strategy or approach to the market (which market to target, whether to go for inbound or outbound sales, product placement etc.). I work directly with the Sales/BD head to handle pan-India marketing/sales for the product. Most of the sales/planning activites for the product have since been handed over to me. Now I'm in more of a managerial/leadership role for the recently launched B2C product where I have to decide the process for sales and partnerships with channels for sales. I will be handling a team of 3-4 to streamline the company's sales activities. I think this has added significantly to my experience and will really give me some quality leadership experience.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for improvements in the profile and your opinion on whether this adds to my previous post. I plan to work on Business Development for technology companies. Any schools you would suggest in particular for my profile and my plans for technology/strategy?

Thank you!


Assuming a 720 GMAT for you, my list really hasn't changed much. YOu progressed nicely at work it seems, but you still have that low GPA. I still suggest you consider HEC Paris, UNC, Duke, UT Austin, Emory, USC Marshall, IE, and Darden . You may want to add Foster to the list.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Please - profile Evaluation help prj 1 21 Jul 2010, 22:10
Profile Evaluation - Please Help! gotomba 8 21 Jul 2009, 03:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile evaluation - please help! Lion1981 3 07 Aug 2008, 00:22
Profile Evaluation...Please Help! APM 8 25 Sep 2007, 08:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Help with Profile Evaluation please!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.