Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Run on sentences

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help with Run on sentences [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 08:18
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city’s beaches.

A) leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
B) with its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
C) and its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting
D) while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E) so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting

I got the answers right but i read die OE for the questions which I do not understand as the OE refers to run on sentences which i couldn’t spot. Pls explain the reasons for each answer why to choose or not. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Run on sentences [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 12:51
tomgw wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

I think D is right.

Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Run on sentences [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 20:19
tomgw wrote:

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win - in 1909 seems to emphazise on the year - wrong
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won - and novelist - incorrect
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning - winning the nobel prize - doesnt seem right
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win - correct and consise
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won - who won - shld ve been right

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city’s beaches.

A) leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of - polluting the city beaches - might ve been better
B) with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted - cargo leaking - it doesnt sound right
C) and its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting ran aground and cargo leaked - correct
D) while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of - while it leaked and caused ?????
E) so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting - again , i am not sure if this sounds good, POE also C seems right
I got the answers right but i read die OE for the questions which I do not understand as the OE refers to run on sentences which i couldn’t spot. Pls explain the reasons for each answer why to choose or not. Thanks

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 23:29
I will go with
1. B

2. C

If correct, will explain.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 23:45
ps_dahiya wrote:
I will go with
1. B

2. C

can u tell me y u prefer B over D ?

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 00:10
razrulz wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
I will go with
1. B

2. C

can u tell me y u prefer B over D ?

You are right. My bad. This must be D.

But on second one, I am still on C and will never change.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 02:19
you are right

OA are

1.) D

2.) C

But can you explain me why B and C at the first sentence create an run on sentence? Same by sentence 2 B creates also a run on sentence. Can you explain me how i can recognize those as a run on?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 03:57
To be honest.. I dont understand what an run on sentence is. May be the 700+ club will do the honours...

But I have stated the reasons why I picked those two choices.

[#permalink] 08 Feb 2006, 03:57