Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Help with Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 04:10
Hi Paul:

I have seen you help others here and was hoping you can help:

Indian Male 27 years
High School in India
Bachelors in Computer Science from liberal arts college in Midwest. GPA 3.89/4.0.
GMAT: 700

Founded dot-com while in college with a couple of college-friends that went from boom to bust real quick. Lived broke for 6 months post 911 in Nyc before joining web startup to learn where I failed. Working for 4+ years since in almost all aspect (except billing) from Sales & Marketing, Business development to managing Technology Dept. Worked on various projects - you guys know everything web related in mission critical. Worked with clients (very popular web services/sites) from many different countries.

Why MBA? Im quite sure that I want to stay and work in the Internet Industry. With the experience that I have now, I want to polish up my leadership skills and want to pursue upper management leadership roles in one of the Internet biggies (Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, one that will be big in 2 years!, etc.). I want to pursue a Product manager role right after MBA. I also have a strong entrepreneural side so may consider starting something on my own down the road, but not right after my MBA.

Here is where I need your help please:
1. I am not sure if I should focus on IT concentration, or more of General management since I have somewhat IT background.
2. Also, I am confused whether to choose a more techie school since I have liberal arts education and have superior soft skills than quant skills.
3. Lastly, I want a school which is more popular globally so that I can use the brand outside US as well as I have a strong desire to work in Europe and Asia as well.

Can you please suggest some schools to look into?

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks

I believe its yogurt!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Help with Schools [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2006, 18:36
gmatmba wrote:
Hi Paul:

I have seen you help others here and was hoping you can help:

Indian Male 27 years
High School in India
Bachelors in Computer Science from liberal arts college in Midwest. GPA 3.89/4.0.
GMAT: 700

Founded dot-com while in college with a couple of college-friends that went from boom to bust real quick. Lived broke for 6 months post 911 in Nyc before joining web startup to learn where I failed. Working for 4+ years since in almost all aspect (except billing) from Sales & Marketing, Business development to managing Technology Dept. Worked on various projects - you guys know everything web related in mission critical. Worked with clients (very popular web services/sites) from many different countries.

Why MBA? Im quite sure that I want to stay and work in the Internet Industry. With the experience that I have now, I want to polish up my leadership skills and want to pursue upper management leadership roles in one of the Internet biggies (Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, one that will be big in 2 years!, etc.). I want to pursue a Product manager role right after MBA. I also have a strong entrepreneural side so may consider starting something on my own down the road, but not right after my MBA.

Here is where I need your help please:
1. I am not sure if I should focus on IT concentration, or more of General management since I have somewhat IT background.
2. Also, I am confused whether to choose a more techie school since I have liberal arts education and have superior soft skills than quant skills.
3. Lastly, I want a school which is more popular globally so that I can use the brand outside US as well as I have a strong desire to work in Europe and Asia as well.

Can you please suggest some schools to look into?

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks

Gmatmba,

I apologize for the late reply. If your goal is management, then even if you want to manage a *technology* company your concentration should probably be general management (or entrepreneurship) rather than. However, when it comes to targeting schools I do think you should choose schools that have strong technology management emphases, such as Haas, MIT, CMU, Texas, and--if you want a longshot--Stanford. Michigan and Wharton also have strong programs for future managers of technology programs.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter