Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with simple question! What is business school / MBA??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 126

Premium Member
Help with simple question! What is business school / MBA?? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 04:57
I've had a mundane career after college, working in various parts of supply chain/operations for 10 years. So "Why business school?" is fairly easy to answer - furthering career, learning, networking, etc. I'm also scoring 700+ on practice GMATs, so I feel like I'm set in that regard. I also know that if I don't get into a top-tier b-school, it's probably not worth my time.

All that said, my problem is, I don't really know what business school is! Is there another thread that answers this or can someone explain what it is?

For previous job experiences, do b-schools only really want for finance/marketing(where money is more directly at)-related job experiences?

What are the different specialties? Can someone explain each one in detail? Are we expected to know which specialty we want to go into before going to b-school? Does the specialty need to relate to your previous experiences?

If I have never taken classes on economics, accounting, finance, stats, etc. will I be at a disadvantage when entering b-school?

I have so many basic questions regarding b-school, I don't even know where to start.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help with simple question! What is business school / MBA?? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 10:46
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club!

What could be a better source for answering this question than MBA.com :-)
http://www.mba.com/why-b-school.aspx

They have an article about it though it won't answer all of your questions.
Ultimately, it boils down to something very simple: you get an MBA to propel your career forward past the barriers and hurdles you have encountered right now. The reason people get an MBA is because they don't like their current job/industry, don't see an easy way of finding the right job for them and feel that an MBA will help them build a bridge to the new role.

It does not matter who you are or what you did (gold instructor, athlete, etc) - you can get into the business school and the more unusual background, actually, the better since Schools are very concerned and focused on the diversity aspect in the class.

The only thing to choose is full time, part time, or executive mba.
You are at the age that you can go for any of those 3 with most programs being a bit skeptical about applicants over 33 (though there are plenty of those still, just requires a bit more explaining in the essays)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Help with simple question! What is business school / MBA??   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2013, 10:46