Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Re: Help !!! Writing Application Essays in such a short span of time [#permalink]
Hi aparajita123,

Congrats, you’ve got a great score. With that score and a decent GPA, no school would have any concern on your academic profile. Remember, your test score and other academic credentials act more like a hygiene factor: once a school is confident (through your test score, GPA, undergrad/ grad institution etc.) that you can cope up with the rigor of the MBA program, other things (essays, recommendations, resume, and so on) take over.

So, do justice to rest of your application - and not just essays - so as to not let go your test score in vain. And it takes lots of time. An alternative you can try is to apply to 1-2 schools in R1 and the rest in R2. There is no point in rushing and submit a sub-par application. Remember, in case an applicant doesn’t get through because of half-hearted attempt, you can’t say next year to the same school that you didn’t have enough time to write a good application (as a re-applicant, one has to usually explain the improvement in candidacy).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help !!! Writing Application Essays in such a short span of time [#permalink]
Mo2men wrote:
Congrats for your great GMAT score. You do not need to sacrifice your application with poor essays. So I advise you to hire a good consultant to present your story in good way. You can find good consultants in review section.

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/admissions_ ... ts?fl=menu

Meanwhile what are your target schools???

Thanks Mo2men for your suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I would strongly advise that you go for round 2, so that you can go through the process of establishing your goals, researching the schools, fit, and all of that.

Writing the essay is simply the manifestation of the research process in terms of the schools, you, and your goals.

You're going to have a far greater chance of acceptance submitting a quality application in round 2 then a half-baked last-minute application submitting a quality application in round 2 then a half-baked last-minute application round one.

There are some schools with a November round before the second round so you could take advantage of that.

I do agree that you should hire a consultant, 55% of the applicants do and why put yourself at a disadvantage. However that consultant collaborates with you rather than does it all for you.

You'll still need to go through all the steps you outlined in your post.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Thanks MBAPrepCoach for your suggestions. I am searching for a consultant now. However, the fees are going beyond my reach. I understand the importance of a consultant in the whole application process and that is why 55% applicants hire a consultant. I hope to get one soon.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
aparajita123 wrote:
Hi,
just seeing this now- wondering how it went for you and if you did wait for R2 for some applications. It is important to tell a compelling story but also there is an advantage in being a first mover. So just wanting to hear how it is working out for you and hoping things are going well!
First, I must thank the GMATCLUB for the great help it provided in each sphere of GMAT preparation. From the strategies to prepare for the GMAT to the explanations for each and every question of GMAT under the sun to what to eat in GMAT test day, gmatclub has been the best guide to adhere to.

Second, I gave my GMAT exam on 25th Aug'16 and was thrilled to see the score of 740 : Q50, V40; IR :7 ;and yet to get the AWA score. Quant has always been my strength, I struggled for the Verbal part and finally I could reach the 91 percentile.
Materials used for Verbal :
Manhattan Series, Kaplan book, GMAT Club Grammar, Aristotle SC, e- GMAT course, OG 11 to 16, GMAT prep questions, RON explanations for SC.

Tests given :
GMAT prep1: 710 (Q50, V36)
GMAT Prep2: 760 (Q50, V42)
GMAT Prep5: 750 (Q49,V42) - there were many repeat questions
GMAT Prep6: 740 (Q50,V40)
Kaplan test : 710 (Q49, V38)
Manhattan test : 710 ( Q46, V41)
Manhattan test2 : 680( Q45, V38)

Third, I need help from the experts to write the application essays as I want to reach the timelines for first round of admission for the colleges and I am struggling with the essay writing area. To write the essays in such a short span of time seems very tough as I had not done any research or pondered over on the goals, reasons for doing MBA or job after MBA, and even I am not getting from where to begin. I had just prepared for the GMAT in the last few months, getting a good score was my only focus. Now, it seems to be a very much daunting task for me do all by myself, so any expert's help, guidance or tips will be of great help.

Brief overview of my profile :

Job : Software Engineer
Work Ex : 5 years +
Companies I have worked with : IBM ( current organization), Ericsson, TCS (Tata Consultancy Services)
Graduation : B-Tech in Electrical Engineering
Marks : 8.0 in B-Tech (on a scale of 10). 80% in 12th, 89% in 10th
Ethnicity : Indian female

Thanks,
Aparajita
GMAT Club Bot