Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 19:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (02:21) correct 10% (00:56) wrong based on 8 sessions
Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, with virtually no competition from weeds. In Britain, partridge populations have been steadily decreasing since herbicide use became widespread. Some environmentalist claims that these birds, which live in and around cereal crop fields, are being poisoned by the herbicides. However, tests show no more than trace quantities of herbicides in partridges on herbicide-treated land. Therefore, something other than herbicide use must be responsible for the population decrease.

Which of the following, if true about Britain, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. The elimination of certain weeds from cereal crop fields has reduced the population of the small insects that live on those weeds and that form a major part of partridge chicks’ diet
b. Since partridges are valued as game birds, records of their population are more carefully kept than those for many other birds
c. Some of the weeds that are eliminated from cereal crop by herbicides are much smaller than the crop plants themselves and would have no negative effect on crop yield if they were allowed to grow
d. Birds other then partridges that live in or around cereal crop fields have also been suffering population declines
e. The toxins contained in herbicides typically used on cereal crops can be readily identified in the tissues of animals that have ingested them.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 19:17
ttwang56 wrote:
Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, with virtually no competition from weeds. In Britain, partridge populations have been steadily decreasing since herbicide use became widespread. Some environmentalist claims that these birds, which live in and around cereal crop fields, are being poisoned by the herbicides. However, tests show no more than trace quantities of herbicides in partridges on herbicide-treated land. Therefore, something other than herbicide use must be responsible for the population decrease.

Which of the following, if true about Britain, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. The elimination of certain weeds from cereal crop fields has reduced the population of the small insects that live on those weeds and that form a major part of partridge chicks’ diet
b. Since partridges are valued as game birds, records of their population are more carefully kept than those for many other birds
c. Some of the weeds that are eliminated from cereal crop by herbicides are much smaller than the crop plants themselves and would have no negative effect on crop yield if they were allowed to grow
d. Birds other then partridges that live in or around cereal crop fields have also been suffering population declines
e. The toxins contained in herbicides typically used on cereal crops can be readily identified in the tissues of animals that have ingested them.

A is the answer. Not direct but INDIRECT factor affects the decrease in population.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 19:28
Was stuck between A and E.

E suggests that toxins are identified, but the passage already mentions that traces of herbicide is found in the bird. So it does not weaken.

IMO A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 20:52
Richardson wrote:
ttwang56 wrote:

A is the answer. Not direct but INDIRECT factor affects the decrease in population.

but isn't this question asking what weakens the conclusion which is that something else besides the herbicide is affecting the population? or is what we are trying to weaken what the british enviromentals are claiming?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 21:24
IMO A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 21:31
ttwang56 wrote:

IMO A)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 23:22
Doesnt A strengthen the argument??

I will go with E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 03:39
IgnitedMind wrote:
Doesnt A strengthen the argument??

I will go with E

Argument is saying that the use of H is not a reason for the number decrease. Choice A shows, even the use of H is not a DIRECT reason for the decrease, it's an INDIRECT (decrease of prey) reason for the decrease. So it makes the argument weakened.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: CR- Herbicide problem [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 04:38
Richardson wrote:
ttwang56 wrote:

I don't think this is a very well phrased question then. Since herbicides is still responsible for the decrease of the population in that sense. Thus the passage should change to something like this:
Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, with virtually no competition from weeds. In Britain, partridge populations have been steadily decreasing since herbicide use became widespread. Some environmentalist claims that these birds, which live in and around cereal crop fields, are being poisoned by the herbicides. However, tests show no more than trace quantities of herbicides in partridges on herbicide-treated land. Therefore, something other than herbicide use must be directly responsible for the population decrease.
Other than that, I believe the test writters are just a bunch of assholes that can't write a clear straight-forward questions
Ted

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 10:01
Hey,

I think you've over thought this question. It reads perfectly OK.

Just think about it logically. What could herbicides do that CAUSES partridges to be killed
1) Poison - but we know this is out
2) Killing the plants that partridges need - no mention of this

Then Answer A gives us what we need.

Don't over complicate, think logically, then CR will become easier...

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 14:37
i guess i am probably a bit serious on the problem. I will continue with the studying anyways.

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 01:08
I think A option clearly gives us something else other than the "herbicides" which is responsible, hence is strengthening the main statement
Need some help

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
I think A option clearly gives us something else other than the "herbicides" which is responsible, hence is strengthening the main statement
Need some help

Hi Ankur,

Let me see if I can explain again.

The thing with A, is that it's a couple of stages down from the pesticides that the effect occurs. BUT the CAUSE is still persticides:

Pesticides applied --> Weeds die --> Insects that eat weeds die ---> Partridges have nothing to eat so leave/die

So pesticides cause the lowering of partridge numbers

A is the answer

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently, [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 02:01
James,
I need a little help in understanding this,

As stated by you to what ankur has written;
Let me see if I can explain again.

The thing with A, is that it's a couple of stages down from the pesticides that the effect occurs. BUT the CAUSE is still persticides:

Pesticides applied --> Weeds die --> Insects that eat weeds die ---> Partridges have nothing to eat so leave/die

So pesticides cause the lowering of partridge numbers

A is the answer

my doubt comes here. We readily assume that the weeds present get killed/wiped out by the pesticides and their application only. There may be several other reasons because of which they may have got cleared out. the reason i am saying this is because should we be relying on an assumption. I was stuck between A and E, but chose E on reading the stimulus again. Please help me clear this out.
Re: Herbicides allow cereal crop to be grown very efficiently,   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 02:01