Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Here is on of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide. If

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 149
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Here is on of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide. If [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 15:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Here is on of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide.

If the sentence is fine, write correct. If not, correct the errors in the sentence. For an ambigguous sentence, express each possible meaning of the sentence with a correct sentence of your own:

Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company.

The SC Guide states that this sentnce is structured correctly. I disagree. What is your thoughts, and why?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: MGMAT practice question. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 13:52
Which part do you object to? Would this be more acceptable?

Because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company, Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee.

_________________


Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 149
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Re: MGMAT practice question. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 17:05
esledge wrote:
Which part do you object to? Would this be more acceptable?

Because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company, Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee.



No, my concern is with parallelism of the
Quote:
works harder
and
Quote:
more creatively
...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: MGMAT practice question. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 18:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
alexBLR wrote:
esledge wrote:
Which part do you object to? Would this be more acceptable?

Because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company, Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee.



No, my concern is with parallelism of the
Quote:
works harder
and
Quote:
more creatively
...


I think there is parallelism here -- there is no word like creativer or something goofy. It has top be more creative!

hard .. harder... hardest
creative .. more creative .. most creative

_________________

kudos +1 ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT practice question. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 19:06
Yo Alex man, remember these important rules from the same SC book man!!!!

1) "And" is only a conjunction, joins either nouns or actions being performed by those nouns.
2) Renders plurality, most other conjunctions don't do that.
3) Parallelism is of two types, compare and contrast, and list of things.
4) In lists of things, what follows #2 should be like #2. #1 is still independent.
Ex: I like to walk than running or swim - incorrect. I like to walk than running or swimming - correct (bad example yet, I hope my point is driven!!!)

In the sentence you presented about Hugo, only two things are discussed, parallelism cannot exist there.

_________________

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: MGMAT practice question. [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:31
BarneyStinson wrote:
4) In lists of things, what follows #2 should be like #2. #1 is still independent.
Ex: I like to walk than running or swim - incorrect. I like to walk than running or swimming - correct (bad example yet, I hope my point is driven!!!)

In the sentence you presented about Hugo, only two things are discussed, parallelism cannot exist there.

Watch out, I think your #4 may be a misinterpretation of a rule. You definitely can have parallelism between only two things. As evidence, here's a sentence with only two things that breaks parallelism:

I enjoy ice cream and to run.
Noun does not equal infinitive. This creates a problem because the sentence is set up to be logically completed by a noun: I enjoy _____. You have to be able to put both of the "endings" after the first part of the sentence.

I think you may be recalling situations like this:
I like to eat ice cream and run.
+ We don't have to repeat the "to" for the 2nd infinitive, as it "distributes" (to use a math term) to both bolded words.
+ It's not a problem that "to eat" is followed by an object, but "(to) run" isn't. Maybe I only like to eat ice cream, not other foods. But I like to run in general, not just to certain places or in certain ways. If so, there's a legitimate reason for the words that follow the verbs to differ. The only requirement is that the first part of the parallel structure matches.

swethar wrote:
I think there is parallelism here -- there is no word like creativer or something goofy. It has top be more creative!

hard .. harder... hardest
creative .. more creative .. most creative

Nice! It's parallelism between two comparatives.

Some comparatives can be phrased either way (e.g. funnier = more funny). So for the record, I think either of these would pass the parallelism test:
(1) He is taller and funnier than his brother.
(2) He is taller and more funny than his brother.

(1) would probably be slightly prefered as it is a stricter "match" (both -er comparatives), and has fewer words.

_________________


Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: MGMAT practice question.   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2010, 11:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT SC Guide qwerty12321 2 22 Jun 2014, 04:11
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT SC Guide Doubt TGC 10 24 Aug 2013, 04:25
2 MGMAT SC Guide Summary runitback 1 03 Dec 2011, 22:54
MGMAT SC strategy guide tusharvk 0 30 Nov 2009, 17:09
MGMAT SC guide??????????? sunainaluthra 6 28 Jun 2009, 08:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Here is on of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide. If

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.