Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:38
Are these SC questions similar to what I expect to see on the GMAT? Assuming that I am doing well on the verbal part.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:58
9. In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.
(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than

Can someone please explain to me this?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 17:12
burnttwinky wrote:
9. In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.
(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than

Can someone please explain to me this?

The "rate of increase" is the subject of the phrase. Because it already refers to "increase" in the subject, you don't need to use fast, faster or greater. It's redundant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 11:23
Thanks for the explanation. I think I have a better understanding on how to modify "rate of increase"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 16:54
burnttwinky wrote:
Are these SC questions similar to what I expect to see on the GMAT? Assuming that I am doing well on the verbal part.

Well let's put it this way - I scored in the 89th percentile on the verbal and got less than 50% correct in these first 25 questions :)

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 19:27
That is all I want to here because I was getting quite a bit of these brutal questions incorrect. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2009, 18:59
So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work force
tha
t many business executives fear this country will lose its economic preeminence.

(A) So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work
force that
(B) As poorly educated and trained as many young recruits to the United States work
force are
(C) Because of many young recruits to the United States work force who are so
poorly educated and trained.
(D) That many young recruits to the United States work force are so poorly
educated and trained is why
(E) Many young recruits to the United States work force who are so poorly educated
and trained explains why

Guys is that answer 'E' for above Qsn?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 11:08
I would guess either A or E, but I am not too sure.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 13:54
vinayaksatapute wrote:
So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work force
tha
t many business executives fear this country will lose its economic preeminence.

(A) So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work
force that
(B) As poorly educated and trained as many young recruits to the United States work
force are
(C) Because of many young recruits to the United States work force who are so
poorly educated and trained.
(D) That many young recruits to the United States work force are so poorly
educated and trained is why
(E) Many young recruits to the United States work force who are so poorly educated
and trained explains why

Guys is that answer 'E' for above Qsn?

It should be A
E changes the meaning of the sentence :

many young recruits ............explains why -> Goes to say that many young recruits are giving an explanation. That's incorrect.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 14:48
Do these brutal questions actually have explanations? A simple letter answer does help me learn from my mistakes.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 11:48
Q 41 according to Brutal SC document answer is C.but OA is E.its a gmatprep question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 20:22
Heya

I am new to this forum , where can i find the list of the questions?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:07
OMG..I think I need a shrink- I have got 21 answers right...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:40
burnttwinky wrote:
Do these brutal questions actually have explanations? A simple letter answer does help me learn from my mistakes.

Search the questions in the forum. These questions have been discussed already in the forum. You would get the answers and explanations!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 21:35
Thanks so much for the questions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 23:24
sudai wrote:
OMG..I think I need a shrink- I have got 21 answers right...

don't be too discouraged... these are supposed to be "brutal" :P

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 20:03
#22: Answer choice D has an extra "and" before "spending."

The link to the explanation of the answer does not have this additional word.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 1

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 01:42
This post received
KUDOS
Really brutal questions!!! Very helpful.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 04:51
If anyone wants to find out the answer explanations, all of these questions are disscussed somewhere in gmatclub forum, if not please go to google and copy the question. You will definetly find the explanation.

By the way these questions are really hard. All of them are tricky.
Intern
Intern
Schools: going to Melbourne Business School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 03:41
Hi,
cant see the attachment.

Quote:
Edit: The Answers and the Link to discussion thread can be found after a couple of posts
Re: Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 03:41