Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Here's the next batch of the most brutal 35 SCs posted on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 04:25
I also dun understand the answers for 3,4,5.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 07:41
Hi,

Can anyone please explain which option is correct in Q-61.

61. Should present metal prices continue their sharp rise, the value of the copper in a penny will soon be greater than the face value of the coin.

a. Should present metal prices continue their sharp rise, (should is anyway wrong)
b. If present metal prices are continuing their sharp rise,(incorrect use of tense)
c. If present metal prices continue to sharply rise,(split Infinitive)
d. Continuation of sharply rising metal prices should mean that (don't no error but its wrong)
e. Metal prices’ sharp rise continuing should mean that (no linking verb)

As far as I know, 'Should' is generally used for when someone is morally obliged to do something. Also it can be used to ask question.
But for correct ans we have to put some condition, as, 'if'.
Exp If X then Y. I didn't find any option correct. Please help. :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 22:17
optimisticAL wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone please explain which option is correct in Q-61.

61. Should present metal prices continue their sharp rise, the value of the copper in a penny will soon be greater than the face value of the coin.

a. Should present metal prices continue their sharp rise, (should is anyway wrong)
b. If present metal prices are continuing their sharp rise,(incorrect use of tense)
c. If present metal prices continue to sharply rise,(split Infinitive)
d. Continuation of sharply rising metal prices should mean that (don't no error but its wrong)
e. Metal prices’ sharp rise continuing should mean that (no linking verb)

As far as I know, 'Should' is generally used for when someone is morally obliged to do something. Also it can be used to ask question.
But for correct ans we have to put some condition, as, 'if'.
Exp If X then Y. I didn't find any option correct. Please help. :(

I came down to two options A and C . The problem with 'C' is misplaced adverb in to infinitive while the problem with 'A' is usage of 'should'. I read in some book (don't remember name of it) that one can replace 'if' with 'should' in certain circumstances.

'Should' is formally correct in tentative statements of opinion.
- I should (have) guess that Lakers will win the tournament.

Here, increase in cost of metal is probability. Hence, 'should' can be used to show 'guessing' or 'probable nature'.

May be moderator or expert will throw some more light on this 'should' usage.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 22:45
pleonasm wrote:
vinayaksatapute wrote:
So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work force
tha
t many business executives fear this country will lose its economic preeminence.

(A) So poorly educated and trained are many young recruits to the United States work
force that
(B) As poorly educated and trained as many young recruits to the United States work
force are
(C) Because of many young recruits to the United States work force who are so
poorly educated and trained.
(D) That many young recruits to the United States work force are so poorly
educated and trained is why
(E) Many young recruits to the United States work force who are so poorly educated
and trained explains why

Guys is that answer 'E' for above Qsn?

It should be A
E changes the meaning of the sentence :

many young recruits ............explains why -> Goes to say that many young recruits are giving an explanation. That's incorrect.

Hi, I agree that answer should be 'A' and reason for that is use of idiom 'so.... that'. I have always seen use of idiom 'so... as to' and this is the first time I saw idiom 'so... that'. I learned a new thing today ... :-D

Can anyone please explain me that why 'C' can not be an answer. If i understand correctly than it is because inappropriate use of modifier 'who' in the sentence and second reason is missing of phrase 'so....as' or 'so... that' in that option... Is it so?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 05:15
'C' is anyway wrong because of split infinitive. It is actually not the case of misplaced modifier.
Infinitives are of the form 'to verb'. Generally split infinitive is not wrong in many cases, but GMAT follows its strict rules.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 04:50
great thread by the way :)

thanks a lot for such a comprehensive collection
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 12:37
thanks for posting these question I was waiting them for long.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 10:40
7. A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

how the answer can be B?

Interest rate it's a singular noun, so should be keepS
I'm confused
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 01:27
Thanks for the collection of the most brutal of the brutal SCs!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 07:41
hello, I'm new in this forum and this is my first post. So, I have a problem with my SC test. You know, all your post in this forum is so helpful but I can't finish all my SC test.uhm, I mean, in some questions, I need the explanation more than the key. English is not my native or second language. Sometime, I have a little problem when I choose the answer... why dont choose it? or choose it, ect. I hope that some guys have advices for me. :?
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 1

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
lkmenphd wrote:
fruit wrote:
7. A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

how the answer can be B?

Interest rate it's a singular noun, so should be keepS
I'm confused

"One" is one of those special indefinite pronouns for which you must examine the object of the the preposition (the "of construction") to determine the whether to use a singular or plural verb. Remember the acronym SANAM (some, any, none, all, most) mentioned in the Strategy Guide? Well the acronym should more appropriately be called SANAMO to include the indefinite pronoun, "one."

And, the key clue here is the "that" following factors. (You can ignore the phrase set off by commas "albeit an important one.") "That" indicates an essential noun modifier, which means the clause following it is modifying the noun immediately preceding it - factors (ignore that phrase set off by the commas). So, "factors keep" is the correct subject-verb match here.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 02:02
Nguyetphan, nice explanations.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 14:09
Nguyetphan, nice explanation.. thanks!

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:02
keep up good work...i ll finish 1000 sc and then i ll come to these brutal thing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 21:00
In Question No. 7 : The subject of the sentence is "The Higher Rate Of Interset" Thus, it is singular and the verb corresponding it should be " KEEPS", and this should make OPTION C as the correct answer.

Unless the subject is Factors, for which the corresponding verb should be KEEP. For which Option B is the correct answer.

Please tell me which is the right way to attempt the question.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 05:59
GMATT73 could you please post the OAs ASAP.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 05:03
These are the most pathetic questions hopefully we should never come across in the GMAT .Very few questions have clarity in them and the answers are very ambigious . A wastage of time doing these questions .
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 10:24
Damn brutal collection.. got 23 wrong!! Man I need to postpone the date..:(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 13:25
will have to remember to do these later and take it with a grain of salt!....:)thanks
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76305

Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 10:19
I am baffled by # 32:

A year advantage in a new computer product or process being introduced can give a company a significant edge on its competitors.
a. A year advantage in a new computer product or process being introduced
b. Introducing a new computer product or process by a year earlier
c. A year's advantage to introduce a new computer product or process
d. To introduce a new computer product or process by a year earlier
e. Being a year ahead in introducing a new computer product or process

I thought it was E, but OA is D. The meaning in D is not clear to me. D seems to imply that "a year earlier" is the method by which the product was introduced.

Can anyone offer justification for why D is correct?
Re: THE BRUTAL 100 SC TEST (Questions 1-70 and growing...)   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2010, 10:19