Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi All

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Hi All [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2004, 10:34
Got 720 with a 99 percentile in quants. Verbal was a bit low...77 percentile.

My powerprep scores were - 740 and 720
Princeton Review website, i registered with a book i got - 700 with target of 750, 610 with target of 800, 720 with target of 750 and 710 with target of 800.
Kaplan CD 2003 - 650 and 670.
Peterson - 3 tests - 700-740 in one, 740-760 in another and 670-690 in the last.
800score's 5 verbal and 5 quants - Verbal average was 43-44 and quants average was 50.

Now for the material i used -
Started with Princeton Cracking the GMAT then moved on to Kaplan 2003 CD and then to Barron's GMAT. Meanwhile started taking tests. Test on princeton's website and then Barron's test.

After that had a break cause i got GMAT dates two and a half months later. I started again with 800score's material. Then did the Powerprep CD. From here on - i started identifying my weak areas. Then i moved on to Kaplan 800 about 1.5 months before the test. About 20 days before the test I was through with Kaplan 800 and then started looking for material on this great site and few other yahoo groups. Solved a few questions of gmatplus.
About 14 days before the test i started the OG - Official Guide. About last 100 questions of SC, RC and CR. Believe me- this is the best resource. If one can repeat all the questions of OG [b]internalizing[/b] the errors - one has to get above 700. I guess - i really missed out on spending enough time on OG. Else could have reached 750.
So thats it...any questions are welcome.

Day before the test i took a Peterson's test and on the day of test - i revised the Kaplan 800 and crammed an AWA template.

Test Exp - I got easy topics on both AOI and AOA questions. Then i moved on to quants. Quants has been always very easy for me and this was no exception. Only standard deviation questions were tough and a few questions here and there. One needs to be careful not to make silly mistakes.
Verbal - This is where i lost it a bit. I got a seat near the door and it kept banging all the while - so many student leaving and coming in. I got only one bold faced CR and was easy. Sentence correction was a bit tough with questions on participles. RC i had 3 small passages and 1 real huge passage with even the questions being lengthy.

To be or not to be....

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 01:28
hi nitinag
good 2 c u again
awaitin 2 read 730 level Qs
pls share all u can recall
thnx
Intern
Intern

just ur opinion [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 08:26
congrats on that great score nitin
i have started on princeton 2005 edition but i find the CDrom to be very slow but i am managing.
i also have kaplan800 and petersonsCD ,i just wanted to know how accurate was the petersons cd ,did u find it easier or tougher than actual GMAT

ash
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

About Petersons... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 08:57
I did not have Princeton 2005...i referred Princetons 2003.

About Peterson - I actually got the scores with 700-740 range in two tests and 670-690 in the last. And in actual test i got 720 so it does seem to be a good indicator.

In the actual test - i was a bit nervous and also distubed because i got a seat near the door which kept banging - so perhaps might have scored a bit less especially in the verbal section.

So perhaps Peterson might be a guess towards the lowest score one may get. But i do believe that its a good indicator.

All the best

To be or not to be....

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 10:42
Hi Ashwini

I have taken the GMAT and here are my oberservations on the study materials

1. Quant -> Kaplan perp covers all of the topics on which u will see quants questions. Quant on the actual GMAT is a shade easier than what u see on kaplan tests, but tougher than the questions on OG. Stick to kaplan for quant. Barrons quant sucks.

2. Verbal

1. Sentence Correction -> read the princeton prep for this section, memorize all the idioms [ helped me get 60% of the SC's right ]. OG is the holy book for SC. But dont stop with OG, any practice from any book will help. The greatest tip i got for SC is not just learing why right answer is grammatically correct but learning why the wrong ones are inncorrect. Nothing helps more in this section than elimination.

2. Critical Reasoning -> The actual test has questions very close to what u see in the OG, sometimes a shade harder. Stay away from barons esp for this section.

3. Reading Comp -> Practice Practice. Cant stress that enough, remember longer the passage the easier. Also I read that If you encounter EXCEPT type questions in RC, u r getting a tough passage which means u have been scoring well. I strongly suggest that u give urself a 20-30sec break after doing a passage so that u can rest ur eyes a bit. This helped me a great deal and I did have like 4mins to spare in the end. Follow princeton/kaplan way of reading a passage, dont try to understand - just grasp.

I scored 660 cause i screwed up quant, i am happy with my Verbal. Am taking gmat again next month and hoping to do well.
  [#permalink] 03 Sep 2004, 10:42