Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi all...the roadmap for applying to MBA schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Hi all...the roadmap for applying to MBA schools [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2004, 11:34
Hi all,

I want help in deciding the roadmap to getting into the school of my choice.
I am from India and have taken GMAT already (score posted) and have the TOEFEL scheduled in mid-October.
Can someone recommend me some book which helps me in deciding the steps to follow from here on.

I have shortlisted the courses i want to attend.

One is Financial Engineering and another one is a MBA (with a possibility of dual specialization). I have more or less shortlisted the MBA schools - about 10 (Most ranked between 5 to 20) and would be finally applying to about 6-8 schools.
I have not yet shortlisted the Financial Engineering schools but Berkley and Cornell seem to be the ones where I will apply for sure. I would apply to about 5 schools here.

Now - I am collecting the deadlines for all these institutes.
I have asked my university to send me the transcripts. Also I have contacted an institute and they would convert my percentage scored every year into a GPA.

Now - what next? Is it ethical to write a format of a reco and tell the person who is going to give me a reco that I need something according to "this" format?

Finally - about the essays - Can i get the list of essays of each of the schools i am going to apply right away or is it that I get the essays only after I get the application form - most schools seem to charge abt a $100 for the same.
And what is the most economical way of getting the essays (and reco formats) edited..again the million dollar question - is it helpful to get the essays edited?

Too many questions....Hope this forum helps me out as it has done - at every step so far.

Regards

To be or not to be....

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2004, 17:08
Good questions . . .
In no particular order

1) You are welcome to send me your shortlist of schools if you want another evaluatory perspective

2) I find Transcript Services of limited utility for education systems that send a large number of students to the US such as India (unless the MBA program makes them mandatory or the originals are not in English). I generally trust my own judgment of the credentials over those of the Transcrpt Service.

3) It is ethical to help the letter writers know what is "expected" of them regarding the letter. Most writers expect at least some form of brag sheet listing the points you wish to highlight. Of course, they should express their support of you in their own words. However, if they balk at saying meaningfully positive things about you, it would be a good idea to look elsewhere. Tepid letters of recc do not reflect well on the candidate.

4) Reasonable minds can differ on the utility of the editing services and the terms encompasses a wide variety of activities. "Complicance" editing is essential- you should be certain that your essay matches the question asked, the response is of the proper length and format, etc. Likewise, grammar/spelling/syntax editing is of great importance. While the cliche is painful it bears repeating- the key is to present your own ideas in your own words in the best light possible. Firms that essentially promise to write (or re-write) the essays for you make me extremely nervous. While not an exact science, it is often pretty easy to tell when somebody has been heavily coached or paid someone else to write the essay.

Hjort
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 17:09
You can get the list of essays from our site: http://www.mbagameplan.com

http://www.mbagameplan.com