Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi Could you solve my doubts!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 132
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Hi Could you solve my doubts!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 05:51
Hi taking my GMAT in two weeks. :roll:

I downloaded some tests and have got the following questions incorrect could anyone offer any expln

6. The cause of Osgood’s syndrome is unknown, nor is it known why the disease appears to be increasing in the United States.
(A) unknown, nor is it known
(B) unknown, neither do they know
(C) not known, nor do they know
(D) not known, unknown too is
(E) not known, neither do they know

18. There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of a limited national resource, with an inherent public interest transcending the individual owner’s prerogatives.
(A) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of
(B) There have been changes in how men think of land, a change from that of simple private property to now that of
(C) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from once considering it simply private property to now considering it
(D) Once men used to think of land as simply private property, but they consider it now
(E) Once thought of simply as private property, land is now considered

Unlike the law protecting endangered animals, the Fish and Wildlife Service’s listing of endangered plants does not prohibit collectors to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws.
(A) to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws
(B) from taking listed plants from the wild if they are so doing in compliance with state laws
(C) from taking listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws
(D) who take listed plants from the wild should they be in compliance with state laws
(E) that take listed plants from the wild so long as they are doing so by being in compliance with state laws


Thanks :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 10:31
Here is the rate chart for "please explain correct answer" service (20% more for people who are taking GMAT in two weeks :-D ) :
1) $5 for an answer
2) $20 for a correct answer with explanation
3) Dumb looks :roll: and occational "I guess (A)" answers are free ! :lol:

6. The cause of Osgood’s syndrome is unknown, nor is it known why the disease appears to be increasing in the United States.
(A) unknown, nor is it known - CORRECT
(B) unknown, neither do they know (Who are they ?)
(C) not known, nor do they know (Who are they ?)
(D) not known, unknown too is (This creates a run-on sentence)
(E) not known, neither do they know (who are they?)

18. There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of a limited national resource, with an inherent public interest transcending the individual owner’s prerogatives.

(A) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of (a change from etc cannot requalify (act as appositive of) land)
(B) There have been changes in how men think of land, a change from that of simple private property to now that of (a change from etc cannot requalify land)
(C) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from once considering it simply private property to now considering it (a change from etc cannot requalify land)
(D) Once men used to think of land as simply private property, but they consider it now (It doesn't have a clear antecedent)
(E) Once thought of simply as private property(correct modifier of land), land is now considered (CORRECT)


Unlike the law protecting endangered animals, the Fish and Wildlife Service’s listing of endangered plants does not prohibit collectors to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws.
This question tests the idiom "prohibit from" so only C & D survives.
(A) to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws
(B) from taking listed plants from the wild if they are so doing in compliance with state laws (so doing in compliance etc are grammatically incorrect)
(C) from taking listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws (CORRECT)
(D) who take listed plants from the wild should they be in compliance with state laws
(E) that take listed plants from the wild so long as they are doing so by being in compliance with state laws
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 132
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 10:52
Thnx a million. I saw my errors but had only one additional question (which i hope i do not get charged for :wink: ) Could you give me some more examples of run on sentences ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 148
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 10:54
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Here is the rate chart for "please explain correct answer" service (20% more for people who are taking GMAT in two weeks :-D ) :
1) $5 for an answer
2) $20 for a correct answer with explanation
3) Dumb looks :roll: and occational "I guess (A)" answers are free ! :lol:

6. The cause of Osgood’s syndrome is unknown, nor is it known why the disease appears to be increasing in the United States.
(A) unknown, nor is it known - CORRECT
(B) unknown, neither do they know (Who are they ?)
(C) not known, nor do they know (Who are they ?)
(D) not known, unknown too is (This creates a run-on sentence)
(E) not known, neither do they know (who are they?)

18. There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of a limited national resource, with an inherent public interest transcending the individual owner’s prerogatives.

(A) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from thinking it simply private property to that now of (a change from etc cannot requalify (act as appositive of) land)
(B) There have been changes in how men think of land, a change from that of simple private property to now that of (a change from etc cannot requalify land)
(C) There has been a change in how men think of land, a change from once considering it simply private property to now considering it (a change from etc cannot requalify land)
(D) Once men used to think of land as simply private property, but they consider it now (It doesn't have a clear antecedent)
(E) Once thought of simply as private property(correct modifier of land), land is now considered (CORRECT)


Unlike the law protecting endangered animals, the Fish and Wildlife Service’s listing of endangered plants does not prohibit collectors to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws.
This question tests the idiom "prohibit from" so only C & D survives.
(A) to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws
(B) from taking listed plants from the wild if they are so doing in compliance with state laws (so doing in compliance etc are grammatically incorrect)
(C) from taking listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws (CORRECT)
(D) who take listed plants from the wild should they be in compliance with state laws
(E) that take listed plants from the wild so long as they are doing so by being in compliance with state laws


I think the correct idiom is X forbids/prohibit Y to do Z or
X prohibiting Y from doing Z
. For that reason A should be correct.
_________________

Neelabh Mahesh

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 11:10
neelabhmahesh wrote:
I think the correct idiom is X forbids/prohibit Y to do Z or
X prohibiting Y from doing Z
. For that reason A should be correct.


While "X forbids Y to do Z" is correct "X prohibits Y to do Z" is NOT
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 11:24
pawan82 wrote:
Thnx a million. I saw my errors but had only one additional question (which i hope i do not get charged for :wink: ) Could you give me some more examples of run on sentences ?



When a sentence has two or more clauses, those clauses must be joined properly. A comma is not sufficient to join two clauses together.

I moved to US in 2000, I got a job in Texas Instruments.(Run on)

Because I got a job in Texas Instruments, I moved to US in 2000. (Correct)
I got a job in Texas Instruments so I moved to US in 2000.(Correct)
I got a job in Texas Instruments; I moved to US in 2000.(Correct)
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1390
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 12:49
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
neelabhmahesh wrote:
I think the correct idiom is X forbids/prohibit Y to do Z or
X prohibiting Y from doing Z
. For that reason A should be correct.


While "X forbids Y to do Z" is correct "X prohibits Y to do Z" is NOT


Is this correct

X prohibits Y from doing Z
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 17:46
trivikram wrote:

Is this correct

X prohibits Y from doing Z


Yep !
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 148
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Hi Could you solve my doubts!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 01:03
Answers please
_________________

Neelabh Mahesh

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 132
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 03:45
A,E & C
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 07:17
Unlike the law protecting endangered animals, the Fish and Wildlife Service’s listing of endangered plants does not prohibit collectors to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws.
This question tests the idiom "prohibit from" so only C & D survives.
(A) to take listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws
(B) from taking listed plants from the wild if they are so doing in compliance with state laws (so doing in compliance etc are grammatically incorrect)
(C) from taking listed plants from the wild if in doing so they comply with state laws (CORRECT)
(D) who take listed plants from the wild should they be in compliance with state laws
(E) that take listed plants from the wild so long as they are doing so by being in compliance with state laws[/quote]


I am still not convinced why B is gramatically incorrect.. can u please provide me with some reference ..
_________________

-Unstoppable force moves immovable objects...-

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi Could you solve my doubts!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 11:52
for so doing is not idiomatic and awkward phrasing, should be doing so. Just my opinion though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Location: SFO Bay Area
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi Could you solve my doubts!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 12:17
A, E & C
Re: Hi Could you solve my doubts!!!   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2008, 12:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Hi could you pls aevaluate my AOA regarding structure, argum Aglaya 0 02 Feb 2013, 14:38
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Hi Paul, could you take a look at my profile? DukeCityMBA 3 17 Sep 2012, 21:20
Could you evaluate my profile? FrasierandNiles 1 27 Jan 2010, 23:59
Experts publish their posts in the topic Could you assess my chances? INSEAD1979 4 13 Mar 2006, 08:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Could you evaluate my profile? haas06 1 03 Mar 2006, 15:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hi Could you solve my doubts!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.