Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi Guys..some doubts in SC and CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hi Guys..some doubts in SC and CR [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 23:53
Hi... I have a few questions and would be immensely grateful if someone could help me sort them out. I obviously know the answers but I dont know how Im suppsoed to arrive at them. Here goes then...

In assesing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban workers is irrelevant.

(A) In assesing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban workers is irrelevant
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems they face.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assesment of the problems faced by the rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems they face.

In order to conserve foreign exchange, the government requires that a fee will be deposited by local importers with the central bank for six months ranging from forty to fifty percent of the value of all imported items.

(A) that a fee will be deposited by local importers with the central bank for six months ranging
(B) that local importers would deposit with the central bank for six months a fee ranging
(C) local importers to deposit with the central bank fo six months a fee ranging
(D) from local importers a fee deposit for six months with central bank of
(E) of local importers that they must deposit with the central bank for a six months a fee which ranges
(D)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2007, 01:14
For the first one B and E are out since "they" refer to rural migrant worker. C is too wordy. Between A & D i would go for A.

For the second one since the sentence is of a subjuctive form it should be in present tense. hence A and B are elimnated. E is too verbose. Between C and D. Ddoes not make sense Hence C. :)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2007, 06:38
How could I not see this first time...D is the answer for the first.Here's why:

A and C are out as it seems that the question itself is doing the assessing.
B and E lack a referent for 'they'.

For the second one...C is clearly the answer:It is the fee that ranges from X to Y and not the months as stated in A.Also the correct idiom is 'requires X to do Y' if 'requires that' doesn't fit in.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2007, 07:26
For first - D
Correct modifier. Clear pronoun reference for 'they'.

For second - C
'requires X to do Y' is the correct idiom.
A and B are supposed to use subjunctive mood. D and E are unidiomatic.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2007, 08:29
vineetgupta wrote:
How could I not see this first time...D is the answer for the first.Here's why:

A and C are out as it seems that the question itself is doing the assessing.
B and E lack a referent for 'they'.

For the second one...C is clearly the answer:It is the fee that ranges from X to Y and not the months as stated in A.Also the correct idiom is 'requires X to do Y' if 'requires that' doesn't fit in.

Can you please explain the modifier problem here ?? How is the question itself doing the assessment??
  [#permalink] 07 Jul 2007, 08:29