Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+ [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 06:14
hi
I gave my gmat 1 week back and scored 640(Q:49,V:28). I was totally devastated as I was expecting a score of 700. I am not sure I can apply to any of the colleges with this score since I am looking for good colleges(top 30).I am from a good engg college and my gpa is 8.15.But I need to get through this year itself. Even the difference between the scores is too high. So I want to give it again in a month's time.
I think I did pretty bad in RC. While giving some tests I had done bad in RC and SC. But towards the end I felt I had improved on both.However, I never scored so less in verbal in any of the tests. How much should I get in verbal to get a score above 700?
I studied only for a month. I had gone through OG 11,12,manhattan SC guide,LSAT RC once. I was not able to finish 1000 series. I also started going through this forum during my prep, though it was late, still it helped me.
Would really appreciate some tips in RC and SC. I am most worried about my RC and also I am too bad at inequality questions. It takes a lot of time for me to solve them,even when I solve them by substituting values, and as a result I get nervous.
Please help me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 602 [0], given: 5

Re: hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+ [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 12:58
Expert's post
If you are most worried about RC, try watching these RC videos to see if they help.

Indeed RC eats up a lot of time. Your strategy should be to minimize the amount of time you spend on SC questions so you free up as much thinking time as possible for the CR and RC questions.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V32
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Re: hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+ [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 05:43
Hi,

When i started my preparation i also didn't use to do good on RC, but managed to improve a lot. Only one thing helped
me out, making notes while reading. Making notes just for the sake of reading actively, i never used my notes to answer the questions. When i started making them i noticed a big difference in my understanding of the passage and also in the time spent on reading a particular passage.
One thinks that making notes while reading will consume much more time than only reading, but actually it is the opposite. Making notes saves you a lot of time by helping you understand the passage the first time you read it and helps avoid the time wastage in re-reading(where most of the time you still don't get the complete picture).
If you are weak in RC then i think you should start making notes(simple abbreviations of the main ideas. no need for complete sentences) to make you read actively. After you become comfortable you will see that it helps a lot.
Read MGMAT's RC guide, the process is well explained, just try to follow it and you will see improvement.
Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011

Re: hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+ [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 10:08
thanks..will try the suggestions and see if it helps.... are there any good sources of RCs??
Re: hi need some advice... scored 640... want to get 700+   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2011, 10:08