Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi Paul - Please advise on profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hi Paul - Please advise on profile [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 23:42
Hi Paul,

I was hoping to get some advice from you. First, the profile and then the question:

Age - 28
Ethnicity - Caucasian
BA - Accounting and Economics (State School)
GPA - 3.4 (Had to retake a handful of quant classes, but last 51 credits I had a 3.5)
Work Experience - 3 years public accounting experience for Big 4; worked on various large SEC clients. In College, I worked as a teaching assistant for a Spanish Professor.
Professional Designation - CPA, Level 3 CFA Candidate
Leadership - 2 years as missionary volunteer in South America; oversaw 150+ volunteers, which included organizing and strategically mobilizing volunteers. Also prepared and presented workshops and seminars for the 150+ volunteers.
Recomendations - Should have strong recomendations from 2 partners I work for.
Career Plans - Would like to work in Equity Research (Buy Side or Sell Side) and cover European (Spain) and South American and Central American Companies (Emerging Markets), thus using Spanish in my job (I'm bilingual). I've also considered taking a position in Brazil with my firm that would allow me to learn Portuguese - I'm assuming this would likely strengthen my chances at Wharton/Lauder.

Here's the catch - I haven't takent the GMAT yet, but will do so in approx. a month. I would like to know, based on your professional opinion, what I would have to score on the GMAT to get accepted into each of the following schools:

Cornell
NYU
Columbia
Wharton/Lauder (Would love to do Language Program)
Chicago
Berkeley
NorthWestern

Thank you in advance for the help and advice - it is very much appreciated!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Hi Paul - Please advise on profile [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 19:02
Expert's post
CaliforniaCPA,

Good profile. The missionary work is a major asset. For all of the schools you mentioned, with the possible exception of Cornell, you need a minimum of 690-700, or 80th percentile in Quant and Verbal. if you want to really get their attention you could aim for a 740-750 or higher. BTW, you might want to add Wisconsin to your list. Their Applied Security Analysis program might be right up your alley.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hi Paul - Please advise on profile [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 19:16
Thank you for the response!

Do you think the 700+ score (80th percentile for both) and the fact that I had improvement in the last three semesters of school would mitigate the negative effects from retaking the quantitative classes. Do I need to address that in my apps, or should I just see if it is mentioned in an interview, etc.?

Thanks again!!!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Hi Paul - Please advise on profile [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:26
Expert's post
CaliforniaCPA,

Not sure there's any point in addressing the quant-class retakes in your application. What would you say? Assuming your grades when you retook the classes was B or better and you get a strong quantitative score in the GMAT, then you should be fine.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog