Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi Paul, would you please comment on my profile - Euro MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hi Paul, would you please comment on my profile - Euro MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:38
Hi Paul I've asked the same question in the peer review area, and would value your advice :)

Thanks much

http://gmatclub.com/forum/130-t69984

P.S. Hope this doesn't constitute double posting - if it does I apologize.

mirjala wrote:
Matriculation Age: 29
Nationality: German
Education:
BA Top 20 US school, Computer Science, cum laude, ~3.5ish GPA
MS Large US State school, Computer Science, ~3.1 GPA, completed while working
GMAT: not taken, expecting at least 720, aiming for 740+, Q>V

Work Experience: I spent about 4 years doing a vast array of different tasks while working for a small, entrepreneurial family import business in the states (doing marketing, ad design and copywriting, business development, tech support, office management, etc., 3 years of it while studying.) After that I moved to the UK, where I now work as a programmer for a well known developer of computer games.

International Profile: Born in Germany, spent over a decade in the states studying and working, now working in UK, native English & German, conversational albeit rusty Spanish

Extracurriculars: Not huge, but a few things here and there. I've made some attempts at web biz / startup but not much to show for it yet, avidly played online games and organized / lead large groups of people (think World of Warcraft) though that might not exactly be app material, I play classical guitar at a decent level, I attend a club or two

Career goals: I'm interested in tech/media entrepreneurship, games / interactive entertainment in particular. Failing that I'd like to be in the games industry in higher level business/strategy roles in the long run, and while MBA is not a common profile for doing this, it has been done. I would seriously consider gaining general business experience via consulting (and to pay off debt) directly post MBA.

I think I would make a decent profile, but there are a few areas of concern. Most notably my job progression and professional leadership experience could be stronger. When I transitioned to the UK I managed to get into the industry I always wanted, but I made sacrifices in compensation and title to do so. I do not have plans to program computers forever and enjoyed the more biz oriented tasks I did before, thus the desire for MBA.

I could certainly use some time thinking about and help crafting my story for adcoms.

Target schools in order of preference:
INSEAD - Jan 2010
LBS - Fall '09 R2
(IMD,Oxbridge,IESE)

I have a strong preference for INSEAD due to the length, value, and large network. My uncle went a while back as well and offered to consult, (bad pun intended.)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi Paul, would you please comment on my profile - Euro MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 11:55
Expert's post
mirjala,

I think you are overreaching at INSEAD and LBS. Though you have a good, strong international profile, with distinctive goals, and might be able to do some interesting with the gaming-related extracurricular leadership, your professional profile does not seem strong enough (e.g. leadership) to me given your age. The college work is interesting and helps a little but that was some time ago. I think you need to build up your leadership experiences. You would have a better shot at the other 4 schools, but probably still long-shottish. If you are female (you didn't specify) your odds are better, but only modestly so.

Hope this helps.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hi Paul, would you please comment on my profile - Euro MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 08:11
Thanks for the feedback, much obliged.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi Paul, would you please comment on my profile - Euro MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 11:51
Expert's post