Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V32
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 04:56
Couldn't sleep the whole night before the test. Still the quant portion went well but screwed badly on the verbal. I just couldn't concentrate on it. I think i screwed badly on SC as i am week in it. Anybody please suggest how to improve my Verbal and quant. I plan to take the test asap after the one month prob period. Also i have no idea wether 660 is a good score or not. Just assessing my chances.

Rgds
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8372 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 19:20
Expert's post
babaryousafzaiii wrote:
Couldn't sleep the whole night before the test. Still the quant portion went well but screwed badly on the verbal. I just couldn't concentrate on it. I think i screwed badly on SC as i am week in it. Anybody please suggest how to improve my Verbal and quant. I plan to take the test asap after the one month prob period. Also i have no idea wether 660 is a good score or not. Just assessing my chances.

Rgds

660 is a good score!
530 is average (50th percentile.) 660 is 82nd percentile - that's pretty darn good
gmat-scores-83890.html

It looks like you should really focus on the verbal part.
I'd recommend starting here: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html and getting a MGMAT Verbal Foundations book.

What books did you use to study? What materials did you cover already?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
babaryousafzaiii wrote:
Couldn't sleep the whole night before the test. Still the quant portion went well but screwed badly on the verbal. I just couldn't concentrate on it. I think i screwed badly on SC as i am week in it. Anybody please suggest how to improve my Verbal and quant. I plan to take the test asap after the one month prob period. Also i have no idea whether 660 is a good score or not. Just assessing my chances.

Rgds

you asked many points in a single post buddy :wink: . Well lets go one by one- regarding SC weakness - as bb mentioned you need to share what all you went through first (to me SC grail- for clearing basics, very crisp & to the point book, MGMAT SC for little advanced topics). Also for verbals you need to develop an eye for the wrong question. It'll come as you practice a bit harder (no second choice to that!). regarding 660- totally depends what schools you are looking to apply and whether you can finance your MBA yourself (loan, etc) or dependent on Scholarship...

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Intern
Intern

Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 05:00
Hi, Sorry for replying so late, actually we had festive season going on, and sorry for posting such a summarized note. Let me tell you in detail about my prep and i hope i can get great guidance tips from you guys. Sorry in advance that i will be writing a lot but have no choice as i need help to get over the 700 mark and the Verbal is making my life difficult. :cry:

I had the MGMAT strategy guides available to me. I did the quantitative parts thoroughly but just went through the verbal books once. I didn't have the MGMAT CATS available to me because i got the books from a friend at a discounted price. I belong to a remote area of Pakistan with no credit card. So there was no option available to me to get the books. I had already asked a friend from England to get me Kaplan's Score 800, I started my preparation with it. I think it was the first mistake i made i should have left it for the end. In the beginning i didn't know about MGMAT, got them very late, had only a month left when got hold of them. Then there was just not enough time. But i did my preperation. On the 4 GMAT Prep tests available on this website, i got exactly 740 2 times and 660 2 times. Both times the Quant score steady(47-49) and the Verbal score varying significantly and both times SC questions making the big difference. I would get 1 or none RC questions wrong. 2 to 3 CR questions and the SC questions varying from 2-3 to 10-12. I am good in quant, not that good but i have never got a score less than 47 so i am a bit confident about it but i have no idea as in how to prepare for the Verbal part. Please let me know of an effective strategy where i can surely improve my verbal. Sometimes i get to spot the mistakes in SC but on difficult questions i just choose, not absolutely sure which one is correct. Also i can't spot the difference b/w easy and difficult questions (For me the difficult ones are in which a lot of stuff is underlined). I have got the MGMAT strategy guides, Official guide 2nd Edition, Kaplan score 800, and Princeton review crack the GMAT. Sorry for such a long post but i think i am in real need of help on the Verbal portion and looking upto this forum to provide it. Also how important are the Idioms? I spent a lot of time on them as the list is quiet long and in the end was not left with enough time to master the other important topics.(I knew them but had not mastered them).

For the schools i am targeting, i think i will start working on that once i get through with the 2nd attempt. BTW i can finance the degree myself so i am not as such targeting the scholarships, but i have got a very low GPA 2.01 from the best university of the country in B.E(Telecom)(It is not that i was not a good student, i just didn't study at that time, i would always look to pass) But i have got a good working experience as a Telecommunications Engineering consultant with 8 months International Experience, also i had been an exceptional sportsman all my student life. I want to get into a reputable BSchool (Top 30 is what i am aiming for). Nanyang, NUS and Emory are my targets.
Also, is 47 a good score on the Quant portion? Can i improve it in the 1 month i have got? For me inequalities and Negative/Positive questions are the toughest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 10:13
babaryousafzaiii wrote:
Hi, Sorry for replying so late, actually we had festive season going on, and sorry for posting such a summarized note. Let me tell you in detail about my prep and i hope i can get great guidance tips from you guys. Sorry in advance that i will be writing a lot but have no choice as i need help to get over the 700 mark and the Verbal is making my life difficult. :cry:

I had the MGMAT strategy guides available to me. I did the quantitative parts thoroughly but just went through the verbal books once. I didn't have the MGMAT CATS available to me because i got the books from a friend at a discounted price. I belong to a remote area of Pakistan with no credit card. So there was no option available to me to get the books. I had already asked a friend from England to get me Kaplan's Score 800, I started my preparation with it. I think it was the first mistake i made i should have left it for the end. In the beginning i didn't know about MGMAT, got them very late, had only a month left when got hold of them. Then there was just not enough time. But i did my preperation. On the 4 GMAT Prep tests available on this website, i got exactly 740 2 times and 660 2 times. Both times the Quant score steady(47-49) and the Verbal score varying significantly and both times SC questions making the big difference. I would get 1 or none RC questions wrong. 2 to 3 CR questions and the SC questions varying from 2-3 to 10-12. I am good in quant, not that good but i have never got a score less than 47 so i am a bit confident about it but i have no idea as in how to prepare for the Verbal part. Please let me know of an effective strategy where i can surely improve my verbal. Sometimes i get to spot the mistakes in SC but on difficult questions i just choose, not absolutely sure which one is correct. Also i can't spot the difference b/w easy and difficult questions (For me the difficult ones are in which a lot of stuff is underlined). I have got the MGMAT strategy guides, Official guide 2nd Edition, Kaplan score 800, and Princeton review crack the GMAT. Sorry for such a long post but i think i am in real need of help on the Verbal portion and looking upto this forum to provide it. Also how important are the Idioms? I spent a lot of time on them as the list is quiet long and in the end was not left with enough time to master the other important topics.(I knew them but had not mastered them).

- All I can see here is you need to give little time for the preps (esp. on verbal part)- SC, CR are the areas where you need to develop an eye for the wrong options- Developing such skill requires some time and loads of practice.

For the schools i am targeting, i think i will start working on that once i get through with the 2nd attempt.
- Please do yourself a favor and decide upon this- very important that you know what you are shooting for.
BTW i can finance the degree myself so i am not as such targeting the scholarships, but i have got a very low GPA 2.01 from the best university of the country in B.E(Telecom)(It is not that i was not a good student, i just didn't study at that time, i would always look to pass) But i have got a good working experience as a Telecommunications Engineering consultant with 8 months International Experience, also i had been an exceptional sportsman all my student life. - Not now eh :wink:
I want to get into a reputable BSchool (Top 30 is what i am aiming for). Nanyang, NUS and Emory are my targets.
- To me your profile looks decent enough for the schools you just mentioned above!
Also, is 47 a good score on the Quant portion?
- Yes and No- depends upon what kind of course you will be applying for ? is it too quant intensive- finance....
Can i improve it in the 1 month i have got? For me inequalities and Negative/Positive questions are the toughest.
- I do not see why you can not! With a good rigor you can manage 49-50 given your eng. background.

In a nutshell if I were you I would go ahead with my apps (esp. in context of your target schools & non requirement of scholarship) but in case you still feel the urge to write again, then do not think much just decide a date !

Please note: I am no expert and all the details/answers are given in good spirit to help you out (if it does any way :wink: ), so in the end you are God/Allah of yourself-decide your destiny !

Intern
Intern

Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 03:19
Hi Yogesh,

Thanks a lot for answering my questions in a comprehensive manner. Helps a lot to boost the morale and stay focused. I am still very much worried about my Verbal Score and now do not know how to prepare effectively. Considering you and me have the same back ground (Non-Native Sub-Continental Guys) i think i can get very helpful tips from you regarding the Verbal Sec. How can one effectively use the MGMAT verbal guides? I didn't follow its procedure of Learn-Apply-Learn-Apply(Official guide questions). I used to read the complete book first and then solve OG. Still in doubt about the effective strategy.
Also i had the 1000 Series questions available to me but didn't practice them, because i read somewhere on this forum that they are easy level questions and do not benefit a lot. Hope you can help me to design an effective strategy for the verbal portion. (I am very good at RC but SC and CR are the problem areas)
I want to get over the 700 mark because i don't want to leave any thing to chance as my CGPA is very very low and i want to start my MBA by 2012 Fall.

P.S: All other veterans please do give your advice as well, as i am looking up to to this forum to correct my mistakes and prepare to the best of my abilities with little resources available in a month's time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+ [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:17
babaryousafzaiii wrote:
Hi Yogesh,

....I am still very much worried about my Verbal Score and now do not know how to prepare effectively. Considering you and me have the same back ground (Non-Native Sub-Continental Guys) .... How can one effectively use the MGMAT verbal guides? I didn't follow its procedure of Learn-Apply-Learn-Apply(Official guide questions). I used to read the complete book first and then solve OG. Still in doubt about the effective strategy.

- Actually it's upto an individual how you learn better!, what has worked so far for me may not be efficient for you ..period! For SC I'll narrate my journey so far- When I started out I had a hit-rate of @40% but now it's almost double on avg. I referred to SC grail and then moved to MGMAT SC 4th edition guide (these 2 books covers pretty much what you would require from a theory point of view) .

Also i had the 1000 Series questions available to me but didn't practice them, because i read somewhere on this forum that they are easy level questions and do not benefit a lot.

- Agian it's difficult to judge upon others perceptions- for verbals (esp. SC) you need a lot of practice (given that non-natives do not have that good natural ear for right/wrong). Granted that few questions are poorly constructed, but nonetheless I would not like to discount 1K doc outrightly- use it wisely- what I mean is take this doc and use it to train yourself for various type of questions. Developing an eye for SC is a must! once you are done with this move to a better source for good quality questions- Gmatprep, MGMAT and other test preps (almost every big test prep company has 1 CAT for free , so that should suffice one's purpose)

... (I am very good at RC but SC and CR are the problem areas) I want to get over the 700 mark because i don't want to leave any thing to chance as my CGPA is very very low and i want to start my MBA by 2012 Fall.

- This is intersting 8-) for me i did not try much RC before my exam. Actually strategy, which I worked was to work on CR extensively (some says it automatically transalate into a better RC hit rate- this did the trick for me to a good extent). For CR I referred to powerscore CR bible, which is undoubtely a very good guide. Again for CR one must flow by logic (I know easier said than done!) and loads of practice helps you to achieve this. So in a nutshell my friend I would not advice you to rush to exam unless you feel confident to take on. Please give some time to yourself (obviously I mean your weak areas :wink: )

P.S: All other veterans please do give your advice as well, as i am looking up to to this forum to correct my mistakes and prepare to the best of my abilities with little resources available in a month's time.

Sorry for the delayed response though, hope you have already started your preps. Do post if you have more questions for us...

Re: Hi...Scored a 660 (Math 47 Verbal 32) want a 700+   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2011, 05:17