Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High GMAT Score/Low IR Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 09:35
I'm curious about the lack of strong correlation between overall GMAT score and the IR score. I would have expected much stronger correlation

I got an 8/8 on the IR portion but not quite sure how -- I didn't study for it (other than taking the GMAC CAT trial, which I also got an 8/8 on), I almost ran out of time, I didn't even understand one of the questions. I have no particular skillset that relates to this test.

My initial reaction was that the test is just pretty easy for people with otherwise high GMAT scores, at least if you are a native english speaker/reader (I can see why the test may be harder for those not as fluent). Those of you who did well on the GMAT but not so well on the IR, any insight as to why? Is there something you had particular trouble with on the IR test that wasn't otherwise tested on the GMAT?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 17:46
Expert's post
Hey -- it's a good question. I wouldn't read too much into what the IR score means vis a vis the rest of the test. It's still relatively new (<18 months) and I don't know that many schools have fully incorporated it into any of their admissions decision-making.

Anytime you can get a perfect score when saying "I have no particular skillset that relates to this test." -- I'd take the money and run!

Congrats!

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q48 V50
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 00:23
I can't remember what my IR score was, but it did clash with my overall GMAT score. I guess one reason is I had old second hand books that didn't have this section and I didn't prep. I'm usually good with graphs and so on, so I just did the exercises in the 2 free mock tests and since I got a decent score I didn't feel I needed to do more.
I guess it was a mix of overconfidence and the need to prioritize. I took 3 months (about 50 hours) to prep and my focus was on getting a high overall score.

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 20:25
Expert's post
Sardinebone wrote:
I can't remember what my IR score was, but it did clash with my overall GMAT score. I guess one reason is I had old second hand books that didn't have this section and I didn't prep. I'm usually good with graphs and so on, so I just did the exercises in the 2 free mock tests and since I got a decent score I didn't feel I needed to do more.
I guess it was a mix of overconfidence and the need to prioritize. I took 3 months (about 50 hours) to prep and my focus was on getting a high overall score.

Clear, important, straight-forward --- really helpful guidance that many students could follow. Not all things are created equally on the GMAT -- you learned that lesson well. Good work!

-Brian

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 05:24
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 21:33
Expert's post
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?

Still the same reply, though unfortunately for you, it will matter to a certain degree.
We will know the exact extent of IR importance probably around the Fall/Winter of 2014 when the first graduates with IR will have their final GPA...

You may want to retake, esp if applying so far out.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 11:20
Expert's post
For what it's worth --- I don't think MBA GPA is a good indicator. Because of grading curves/systems -- I don't know many folks who believe that getting a perfect GPA in b-school is the indicator of the 'student with the best potential' -- it's about much much more than that.

Am I misinterpreting your post?

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT-LGO '16, AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 18:19
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:48
Expert's post
uwengdori wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.

Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT-LGO '16, AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:34
brianlange77 wrote:
uwengdori wrote:

Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.

Thank you for the advice, Brian. I will definitely all-in on the quant/verbal and check out the essay and IR maybe in the last two days (think MGMAT essay+IR book is more than sufficient to prepare).
I've been studying with MGMAT package books and they've been great.
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 18:34