Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High GMAT Score/Low IR Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 09:35
I'm curious about the lack of strong correlation between overall GMAT score and the IR score. I would have expected much stronger correlation

I got an 8/8 on the IR portion but not quite sure how -- I didn't study for it (other than taking the GMAC CAT trial, which I also got an 8/8 on), I almost ran out of time, I didn't even understand one of the questions. I have no particular skillset that relates to this test.

My initial reaction was that the test is just pretty easy for people with otherwise high GMAT scores, at least if you are a native english speaker/reader (I can see why the test may be harder for those not as fluent). Those of you who did well on the GMAT but not so well on the IR, any insight as to why? Is there something you had particular trouble with on the IR test that wasn't otherwise tested on the GMAT?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 17:46
Expert's post
Hey -- it's a good question. I wouldn't read too much into what the IR score means vis a vis the rest of the test. It's still relatively new (<18 months) and I don't know that many schools have fully incorporated it into any of their admissions decision-making.

Anytime you can get a perfect score when saying "I have no particular skillset that relates to this test." -- I'd take the money and run!

Congrats!
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Location: Spain
GMAT 1: 780 Q48 V50
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 00:23
I can't remember what my IR score was, but it did clash with my overall GMAT score. I guess one reason is I had old second hand books that didn't have this section and I didn't prep. I'm usually good with graphs and so on, so I just did the exercises in the 2 free mock tests and since I got a decent score I didn't feel I needed to do more.
I guess it was a mix of overconfidence and the need to prioritize. I took 3 months (about 50 hours) to prep and my focus was on getting a high overall score.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 20:25
Expert's post
Sardinebone wrote:
I can't remember what my IR score was, but it did clash with my overall GMAT score. I guess one reason is I had old second hand books that didn't have this section and I didn't prep. I'm usually good with graphs and so on, so I just did the exercises in the 2 free mock tests and since I got a decent score I didn't feel I needed to do more.
I guess it was a mix of overconfidence and the need to prioritize. I took 3 months (about 50 hours) to prep and my focus was on getting a high overall score.


Clear, important, straight-forward --- really helpful guidance that many students could follow. Not all things are created equally on the GMAT -- you learned that lesson well. Good work!

-Brian
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 59
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 05:24
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12198
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8837 [0], given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 21:33
Expert's post
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?



Still the same reply, though unfortunately for you, it will matter to a certain degree.
We will know the exact extent of IR importance probably around the Fall/Winter of 2014 when the first graduates with IR will have their final GPA...

You may want to retake, esp if applying so far out.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 11:20
Expert's post
For what it's worth --- I don't think MBA GPA is a good indicator. Because of grading curves/systems -- I don't know many folks who believe that getting a perfect GPA in b-school is the indicator of the 'student with the best potential' -- it's about much much more than that.

Am I misinterpreting your post?
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Schools: Rotman '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 18:19
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:48
Expert's post
uwengdori wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.


Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Schools: Rotman '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:34
brianlange77 wrote:
uwengdori wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.


Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.


Thank you for the advice, Brian. I will definitely all-in on the quant/verbal and check out the essay and IR maybe in the last two days (think MGMAT essay+IR book is more than sufficient to prepare).
I've been studying with MGMAT package books and they've been great.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 07:58
Hi all

I am in a really bad situation right now. I took GMAT on 15th April and Scored 760 (Q50, V42) but bombed my IR. Could manage a disappointing 3. I got nervous there and I knew that i had screwed up IR but had no idea that the score would be so low. In the GMAT prep test I scored 8 in both the tests and thus neglected the IR section during preparations. Probably that was the reason I could not handle my nerves during those 30 minutes. I have no idea how such a poor score is going to impact my applications. I plan to apply in 2015 and I feel that by that time Universities will start considering IR scores to some extent. Should I take GMAT again? I am well prepared right now and I feel that if I continue my preparations and book the next possible date, I can manage 760 again. Should I take GMAT again? Please help.

Thanks in advance
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Schools: Rotman '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:05
utkmittal1 wrote:
Hi all

I am in a really bad situation right now. I took GMAT on 15th April and Scored 760 (Q50, V42) but bombed my IR. Could manage a disappointing 3. I got nervous there and I knew that i had screwed up IR but had no idea that the score would be so low. In the GMAT prep test I scored 8 in both the tests and thus neglected the IR section during preparations. Probably that was the reason I could not handle my nerves during those 30 minutes. I have no idea how such a poor score is going to impact my applications. I plan to apply in 2015 and I feel that by that time Universities will start considering IR scores to some extent. Should I take GMAT again? I am well prepared right now and I feel that if I continue my preparations and book the next possible date, I can manage 760 again. Should I take GMAT again? Please help.

Thanks in advance


While choice is all yours, you should take it again only if IR score is making you very uncomfortable unless somewhere in your application has proofs that offsets low IR. GMAT study experts in this forum can give you all the advice available, but not sure if those words will make you any comfortable. 760 is still very high score.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 11:21
uwengdori wrote:

While choice is all yours, you should take it again only if IR score is making you very uncomfortable unless somewhere in your application has proofs that offsets low IR. GMAT study experts in this forum can give you all the advice available, but not sure if those words will make you any comfortable. 760 is still very high score.


Hi uwengdori

I think don't know whether anyone can make me comfortable right now. I have not been able to cherish my 760 yet. Two sleepless nights already. But should hear from a lot of experts before I reach any decision.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 20:58
Hi,

I got a 720 yesterday in GMAT(Q48,V41) but scored only 5 in AWA. How much will this impact my overall score? I am yet to receive my AWA score but i am expecting 4.5/5 in that.

Thanks,
Kunal.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 01:38
Kunal37 wrote:
I got a 720 yesterday in GMAT(Q48,V41) but scored only 5 in AWA. How much will this impact my overall score? I am yet to receive my AWA score but i am expecting 4.5/5 in that.


Hi Kunal

Congrats on a 720. I am assuming that you scored 5 an IR. Well you need not worry about it. 5 is not good but it is not bad either. I did a lot of research on my dismal IR score of 3 but not I am connived that it will hardly affect my chances of getting into a B school. They have not started considering it yet. So if you are applying this year itself, u can just ignore the IR score.

Utkarsh
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 01:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic High GMAT/Low IR score nanz236 3 01 May 2014, 21:44
Experts publish their posts in the topic High Quant & Essay scores, Low Verbal. Shall I retake? titan31 2 28 Jan 2014, 11:51
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts? jysail15 3 28 May 2013, 07:06
Unbalanced GMAT Score- Low Quant, HBS Admissions DSGB 1 12 Sep 2010, 19:44
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic kaplan scores low or high ? gameCode 18 27 Oct 2008, 22:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

High GMAT Score/Low IR Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.