Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High School GPA + SAT score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

High School GPA + SAT score [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 18:25
Do they really matter at the big MC firms?

I understand most MC's (and esp. M/B/B) begin their recruitment process by screening CV's. If an applicant is attending an ultra-elite b-school (i.e. LBS or INSEAD), but has a ridiculously low high school GPA and/or SAT score from 7-8 years ago, would his/her application automatically be thrown into the junk pile?

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: High School GPA + SAT score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 05:16
sharshar84 wrote:
Do they really matter at the big MC firms?

I understand most MC's (and esp. M/B/B) begin their recruitment process by screening CV's. If an applicant is attending an ultra-elite b-school (i.e. LBS or INSEAD), but has a ridiculously low high school GPA and/or SAT score from 7-8 years ago, would his/her application automatically be thrown into the junk pile?

As far as I know, high school GPA isn't asked for by any of the MC firms. I think they do ask for SAT scores - however, my impression (based on no real facts, of course) is that the SAT score only matters if you're on the verge of being accepted/rejected for a job with them, so it rarely comes into play.

So, don't work on building an alternate HS transcript, and please don't take the SAT again!
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: High School GPA + SAT score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 21:08
high school gpa? I can say that probably has no relevance. a 700+ GMAT Score with a good quant score will let you pass that hurdle.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: High School GPA + SAT score [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 18:11
From the McK website:

Our recruiting process aims to give you an idea of the intellectual challenge of consulting. You will meet experienced consultants and have a chance to test your problem-solving skills. In the end, it is important both that we have a good picture of you and that you have a clear idea of what joining McKinsey means.

We accept applications for consulting positions all year round.
If you are currently studying for an M.B.A., please visit the relevant McKinsey school Web site (where applicable) for application deadlines; alternatively, contact us with any queries.
Be prepared to provide:
- A letter describing your interest in consulting and McKinsey
- Your curriculum vitae, including academic career, internships, professional experience, stays abroad, extracurricular activities, and hobbies
- Relevant work references
- University and high school transcripts

Ughh.

Follow-up question: If a school has a grade non-disclosure policy, does this affect high school grades as well or just the grades earned at the b-school in question?

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: High School GPA + SAT score [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 07:19
They will want your SAT results. Whether they care about them, who knows.

Maybe they do - even if you have a 700+ GMAT, they can afford to be picky, can't they?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: High School GPA + SAT score   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2009, 07:19