Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High school students who feel that they are not succeeding

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 08:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (02:42) correct 13% (02:00) wrong based on 80 sessions
1.High school students who feel that they are not succeeding in school often drop out before graduating and go to work. Last year, however, the city’s high school dropout rate was significantly lower than the previous year’s rate. This is encouraging evidence that the program instituted two years ago to improve the morale of high school students has begun to take effect to reduce dropouts.

Which one of the following, if true about the last year, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) There was a recession that caused a high level or unemployment in the city.
(B) The morale of students who dropped out of high school had been low even before they reached high school.
(C) As in the preceding year, more high school students remained in school than dropped out.
(D) High schools in the city established placement offices to assist their graduates in obtaining employment.
(E) The antidropout program was primarily aimed at improving students’ morale in those high schools with the highest dropout rates.

cool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 18:34
A. Because students cannot easily find job.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 02:52
A casts doubt on the effectiveness of the program by providing an alternative reason for reduction in drop out rates. High unemployment might result in students staying back at school as they cannot find jobs outside.
Hence A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 31

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 22:42
between A and D
CHOSE A

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 29

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 23:28
kraizada84 wrote:
between A and D
CHOSE A
i selected d, guys. Why not D?
How is it less beleivable than A?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 543

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 00:19
What's wrong with D? can someone please Explain. Its between A and D...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 02:30
fozzzy wrote:
What's wrong with D? can someone please Explain. Its between A and D...

'D' mentions high school grauates whereas the question clearly states dropouts, hence 'D' is incorrect. It is simply there to confuse.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 543

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:41
But doesn't give an alternative reason to why they aren't dropping out of school ... because they are assured a job?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:56
I have a lot of sympathy with D.

If I was more assured of a job at the end of a programme I'd be more likely to stick at it.

Wonder if someone from Manhattan GMAT could comment?

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:13
Expert's post
James,
Here is a scenario:
Suppose there is a high-school X. X has established a placement office to assist students in obtaining a job. Does that means that students have full trust in the placement office?I don't think so.
The answer may be yes or no. Since there is a slight lack of certainty, I am against D.
Regards,
Marcab

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:17
Maybe, and the question does say 'most weakens' so on the test I'd probably under duress go for A.

That said I think that D is solid.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:22
Expert's post
Can you please let me know what is your line of reasoning behind D?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 50

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:38
Between A & D

I would go for A as it weakens the conclusion

i.e( This is encouraging evidence that the program instituted two years ago to improve the morale of high school students has begun to take effect to reduce dropouts. )

D actually strengthens the argument by providing evidence that some program has encouraged students to stay.

This is my reasoning, I'm not sure of the answer,

Please explain if wrong

Correct me If I'm wrong !! looking for valuable inputs

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 01:23
Manhnip wrote:
Between A & D

I would go for A as it weakens the conclusion

i.e( This is encouraging evidence that the program instituted two years ago to improve the morale of high school students has begun to take effect to reduce dropouts. )

D actually strengthens the argument by providing evidence that some program has encouraged students to stay.

This is my reasoning, I'm not sure of the answer,

Please explain if wrong

I understand that D says that because of placements provided the college dropouts are less but the argument says college dropouts are less because of some morale boost program hence D is correct option. Option A states that dropout is less because there is lot of unemployment, if it is true then whatever program you conduct or donot conduct students will not dropout and Option A is not negating the argument but option D is providing an alternate cause.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 04:16
fozzzy wrote:
But doesn't give an alternative reason to why they aren't dropping out of school ... because they are assured a job?

D doesn't give an alternate reason...if you think about it....D says placement office for graduates, so those who choose to graduate are getting jobs, however, those whose morale is low won't think a placement office would be helpful for them and would still drop out, since they can drop out and still get jobs, as mentioned in the premise, hence not reaching the state where they will be benefited by the placement office. So, a morale improvement program would actually be the better cause if you consider D, and hence the argument is not weakened.

However, if there are no jobs left in the market due to recession, people would think twice before dropping out, hence A gives a proper alternate cause.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 16

Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 09:40
+1 A

D is interesting, but I think that we would have to suposse that those students prefer to wait until their graduation to get those graduate jobs rather than to work inmediately. But, we are not allowed to make that kind of assumption.

Hence, A.
Re: High school students who feel that they are not succeeding   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2013, 09:40