Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High score (700) on GMATprep, however...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 06:56
Whenever I try Manhattan GMAT tests online my score is around 650-630. I seem to have no problem with the OG12 questions, and when I tried for the first time the GMATprep tests I scored easily 700 on both tests.

Are the Manhattan GMAT questions good comparison? The problem I seem to have is not the issue of knowledge (when I redo MGMAT questions in a non timed mode I have no issue), my issue is that I spend too much time on some of the really long word problems and then the whole tests goes for a toss on the quant side. On the verbal my test scores are consistent. Any advice on what to do or what to expect? I still have another month before my really exam.

Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 07:02
ypavlos wrote:
Whenever I try Manhattan GMAT tests online my score is around 650-630. I seem to have no problem with the OG12 questions, and when I tried for the first time the GMATprep tests I scored easily 700 on both tests.

Are the Manhattan GMAT questions good comparison? The problem I seem to have is not the issue of knowledge (when I redo MGMAT questions in a non timed mode I have no issue), my issue is that I spend too much time on some of the really long word problems and then the whole tests goes for a toss on the quant side. On the verbal my test scores are consistent. Any advice on what to do or what to expect? I still have another month before my really exam.

Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think the general consensus on this forum is that MGMAT's quant section is more difficult than that of GMAT prep and also the quant section of the actual test. Hence, I would not worry too much if your quant score is lower on MGMAT's CAT. Gmat prep seems to be more accurate in this respect.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 589 [1] , given: 114

Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
I would agree with the above poster. And also, from what you've said, it sounds like you are having serious timing issues on the MGMAT prep tests. This could be due to tougher questions, or it could just be luck that you got a few toughies on the MGMAT tests. The thing is though, all of those points are most likely directly tied to timing issues b/c timing is one of the most important factors of the GMAT. So next time you get one of those, just guess and move on. I bet your score will go up! Good luck, and congrats on the GMAT prep test of 700. That means you are on track to break the 700 mark... keep it up!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 13:07
Guys thank you both for your quick responses. One last question. Any tips on how to improve speed? Should I keep on trying to solve as many questions as possible by keeping my time below 2 min per questions, or is there any other technique you would recommend?

Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 14:04
ypavlos wrote:
Guys thank you both for your quick responses. One last question. Any tips on how to improve speed? Should I keep on trying to solve as many questions as possible by keeping my time below 2 min per questions, or is there any other technique you would recommend?

Thanks!!!

Like the above posters said, it seems like its the harder questions that slowed you down. Maybe gather up some 700+ level questions from this site, work through them on your own and see how long it takes you and just analyze what part of the question is taking you so long (calculations, setting up the problem, understanding the problem, etc.). And then look at how other people are answering the questions and there might be some shortcuts your missing when it comes to answer these harder questions.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5035 [0], given: 164

Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 04:47
Expert's post
ypavlos wrote:

Thanks!!!

Most GMAT questions can be solved in 1-2 minutes if your fundamentals are clear. If you are taking too much time on certain questions, its probably because you are not using the most optimum approach. How do you get to know 'the most optimum approach'? Put the question up on this forum. There are very few (if any) approaches that people here might miss.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however... [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 09:50
Hi. Here u can find some useful tips -

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/02/14/managing-your-time-on-test-day

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/03/02/handling-stress-on-test-day

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Re: High score (700) on GMATprep, however...   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2012, 09:50