Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 06-02-2012
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 21:42
I'm prepping for the GMAT on June 2nd, and I've been taking full length practice tests for the past several weekends and doing conventional studying during the weekdays in between. I've been steadily improving and took the GMATPrep (2009) Practice Test 2 today. The strange thing is that during the test, I didn't feel like it was going well, I was having trouble really focusing, etc., especially during the quant section. At the end, I didn't expect a high score. Lo and behold, 760 appeared on the screen, with a Q48 and V47. I had been scoring in the 730 range on the two prior tests. The strange thing is that, once I went to the Review Screen, it showed that I had gotten 13 of the quant problems wrong. Now, I know that it's an adaptive test and that the actual number of correct answers is not a perfect indicator of score, but 13 of 37 wrong and still a 760?! Doesn't seem right. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how to get from the review screen back to the scores screen in the GMATPrep software? It seems like I should be able to review my score and subscores, but I can't figure out how to get out of the review screen. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1149

Kudos [?]: 5348 [0], given: 165

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 08:08
Expert's post
pdreyer wrote:
I'm prepping for the GMAT on June 2nd, and I've been taking full length practice tests for the past several weekends and doing conventional studying during the weekdays in between. I've been steadily improving and took the GMATPrep (2009) Practice Test 2 today. The strange thing is that during the test, I didn't feel like it was going well, I was having trouble really focusing, etc., especially during the quant section. At the end, I didn't expect a high score. Lo and behold, 760 appeared on the screen, with a Q48 and V47. I had been scoring in the 730 range on the two prior tests. The strange thing is that, once I went to the Review Screen, it showed that I had gotten 13 of the quant problems wrong. Now, I know that it's an adaptive test and that the actual number of correct answers is not a perfect indicator of score, but 13 of 37 wrong and still a 760?! Doesn't seem right. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how to get from the review screen back to the scores screen in the GMATPrep software? It seems like I should be able to review my score and subscores, but I can't figure out how to get out of the review screen. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Q48 with 13 wrong is nothing absurd. In fact, you could even get a Q50 with 8 -10 questions wrong! It depends on a ton of factors. You got the 760 because of the fabulous V47! Hope you will be able to replicate (or improve!) this performance in actual GMAT.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 15:29
Thanks for the clear reply, Karishma! Good to know that there wasn't some sort of mistake. I know you said it depends on a lot of factors, but I guess I'm still mildly confused.

I got 95% (39/41) of the verbal questions right, yet still had a lower verbal subscore than I did on quant with 65% of the questions right. Are the two scores not really directly comparable? Is it more difficult to get a high subscore in verbal?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 18:56
:-D :-D :-D :-D Is there anything strange, do they want to
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [3] , given: 5

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, on average test takers have a more difficult time scoring well on Verbal than they do on Quant. Just check out the percentiles for Verbal in the score table here: gmat-scores-83890.html. You can be in the 99th percentile from subscores 46-51 on Verbal, but you must have a 51 in Quant to hit the 99th percentile.

High Verbal scores can have a profound impact on your overall score. A test-taker received a scaled score of 45 in verbal (98th percentile) and 40 in quant (66th percentile) and an overall score of 700 (93rd percentile). Notice how much closer the overall percentile is to the excellent verbal percentile. If the overall percentile were simply an average of the individual percentiles, this person would have received about 640. But because the combination of an outstanding verbal performance with a fair quant performance is so rare, the overall percentile and score will be much higher than the lower quant percentile. Another person, who scored 49 in verbal (99th percentile) and 37 in quant (56th percentile), received 710 (95th percentile), even though the quant performance here was a full 10 percentile points lower than that in the previous example. Again, an outstanding performance in verbal significantly offset an average performance in quant.

in GMATPrep 1.0 you can't get back to the review screen to see your scores. It's a feature they have added in GMATPrep 2.0, though in 2.0 you can't review your answers once you close the session.

Hope that helps!

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Kyle, that's some pretty interesting information.

I've heard people refer to the older and newer versions of the GMATPrep software-- do those refer to the pre-integrated reasoning version and the post-integrated reasoning versions? From your last comment there, it seems like I'm using 1.0. I'd love to get access to more practice tests from GMATPrep, but I'd rather not practice with the new format of the test since I will be taking the "old" test.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [1] , given: 5

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, GMATPrep 2.0 contains Integrated Reasoning, but GMATPrep 1.0 does not. If you are looking for more GMAT practice exams, you should download GMATPrep 2.0 (http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx). The Quant/Verbal sections are no different in the "new" GMAT format, so you can just skip the IR section (or guess your way through). Your 200-800 score will be the same in 2.0 as it would be in 1.0.

Another benefit of GMATPrep 2.0 is that you may be seeing more recent GMAT questions, so your practice experience may be more similar to the real GMAT than your experience would be in GMATPrep 1.0.

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: High score with a lot of wrong answers on GMATPrep Test 2   [#permalink] 16 May 2012, 21:32