Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

high tech - product management - indian - male - 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
high tech - product management - indian - male - 700 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:46
Hello,
I'm planning to apply for fall of 14.
I am trying to figure out what I should consider a reach, a match, and a safety school.
My plan is 1 or 2 reaches and 2-3 matches in R1 and then a few safety schools in R2 if those dont work out.

Indian Male, will be 28 at matriculation

Gmat - 710 50q 35v

Work History (At Matriculation)

4 years - IT Product Consultant - at firm with number one position in Global Billing Market
3 years - Telecom Presales Consultant - one of the five largest India-based IT services firms

At each of my positions, I was rated among top 5% high performers and saw multiple promotions. I have great stories from my current role.
I led a team of 2 to develop an application which was nominated for the innovator of the year award back in 2010.
In my previous project, I led a team of 16 associates for a short period of time (approx. 1 year) , but my work was very much appreciated by clients.
In my current role, I have won my company 6 major bids (over 1 M$ in revenue) for Telecomm implementation projects.
I have been working with French associates from our company for over 2 years now. I understand french. I am planning to write French DELF A1 certification soon.

College

Graduated 2006 GPA 73% - represents top 1% for our university (65% - class I, 75% - distinction)
Major Electronics and Telecommunications,

Work/Extra-curricular in College

Guitarist and lead vocalist for college band.
represented college in IEEE region 10 web development competition.
Organised National level tech fest.

Post College

- worked at a nanotech firm - part time parallely with my full time job
The company is in inception stage. We are waiting for regulatory approvals. We have filed US patent and are waiting for it to come through. We have a pilot kit ready and have started pitching the business plan to different govt agencies for funding. Recently the idea was ranked 4th in a business idea competition hosted by one of the countries tier 1 B schools.
- Organised many community outreach programs with my current and previous employer to teach guitar to underprivileged kids. Our project won Nasscom CSR champ award.

Post MBA Goal

-hich tech product management. move from more tech product marketing to strategy / planning / marketing functions of high tech product management. I love the technology domain and would like to make the most of the experience I have. I have chosen target schools which have tech connections (tech recruiters / geographic advantage).
- I would like to see a career progression from presales - more of a tech consulting role to product management.

long term goal - sr / director project management - working as a CEO of the product line / managing multiple products
I applied to a bunch of schools last year ; however my applivcation , now i know , was very poorly constructed. My goals were not properly researched. did not do proper school research. Didnt talk to many people from these schools.

Should I reapply to any / some schools from the past fall app?
Target Schools

Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) (re-applicant - dinged w/o interview last fall)
Texas--Austin (McCombs) (re-applicant - dinged w/o interviewlast fall)
UCLA (re-applicant - dinged w/o interview last fall)
Cornell (re-applicant - dinged w/o interview last fall)
Kelley (re-applicant - dinged after interview last fall)
Arizona State university(re-applicant - dinged after interview last fall)
ISB (re-applicant - dinged after interview last fall)
UNC (re-applicant - dinged after interview last fall)

Michigan (Ross)
Duke (Fuqua)
USC (Marshall)
Michigan State University
Brigham Young University
Goizuetta
Boston University
New York University

Please let me know your thoughts about my overall profile and the schools I have chosen.

Lahoosaher

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: high tech - product management - indian - male - 700 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 19:57
Congratulations on your score.

You have a great profile !!
With the kind of profile that you have and with your score, getting into any college is possible.

Try to write very focused essays and give your best at interviews :)
Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: high tech - product management - indian - male - 700 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 10:24
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Overall you have some strengths in your profile, it sounds like hopefully some good experiences you can discuss in the essays, a variety of experience and accomplishments, time working at a start-up, strong academics, respectable GMAT score, and it sounds like more thought-out goals this time around (?). Was your GMAT the same last year too? It sounds like your essays and in some cases interviews were potentially weaker points for you. That can make a huge difference, as even if the other factors are strong, if those are weak, an acceptance is unlikely.... those are the components that the b-schools use to really aim to get to know YOU as a person and assess how you'd fit into the class.

You do need to work to show how you are 'more than just an IT guy' as I've said to other posters. So be sure to highlight examples of leadership, team work, influencing others, people management, working with diverse cultures, communication & presentation skills, etc. Your quant and technical abilities are already evidenced in your application.

In terms of re-applying, most schools are open to it and in some cases, IF you really put together an improved application and/or can show what you've done since that time, they may appreciate it because it shows how interested you are in their program that you are trying again. So I would say, spend some time really researching the programs to get a feel for what YOU think is the best fit for you.

Very roughly, I'd break your schools down like so, but plenty of room for subjectivity and changes due to your own personal preferences here:

Tier 1-- Highest Reach:
Cornell, UCLA, NYU
(not impossible but challenging to get into!)

Tier 2---Still competitive for you
Duke Fuqua
Michigan Ross (good for product management)
ISB
USC
Tepper (good for your technical interests)
Emory (good for your technical interests)

Tier 3-- Should be better chances
McCombs
Kelley
UNC
(outstanding essays/interview still required !)
(IF you put together outstanding essays/interview/etc, these are not out of the question but not 'easy' either)

Tier 4-- maybe more 'safety' but STILL need good essays etc!!
(all rest of schools)

Possible I missed a few and this is very APPROX! ;) But just a quick attempt at categorizing.

We do offer a 'Ding review' to help dig in deeper into what areas from last year you may need to work on, if you are interested, see http://www.mbamission.com/services.php?package=ding for more info. We also offer a free 30 min consult if you have more q&a at any point as well.

Good luck on you upcoming decisions!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: high tech - product management - indian - male - 700 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 00:55
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Overall you have some strengths in your profile, it sounds like hopefully some good experiences you can discuss in the essays, a variety of experience and accomplishments, time working at a start-up, strong academics, respectable GMAT score, and it sounds like more thought-out goals this time around (?). Was your GMAT the same last year too? It sounds like your essays and in some cases interviews were potentially weaker points for you. That can make a huge difference, as even if the other factors are strong, if those are weak, an acceptance is unlikely.... those are the components that the b-schools use to really aim to get to know YOU as a person and assess how you'd fit into the class.

You do need to work to show how you are 'more than just an IT guy' as I've said to other posters. So be sure to highlight examples of leadership, team work, influencing others, people management, working with diverse cultures, communication & presentation skills, etc. Your quant and technical abilities are already evidenced in your application.

In terms of re-applying, most schools are open to it and in some cases, IF you really put together an improved application and/or can show what you've done since that time, they may appreciate it because it shows how interested you are in their program that you are trying again. So I would say, spend some time really researching the programs to get a feel for what YOU think is the best fit for you.

Very roughly, I'd break your schools down like so, but plenty of room for subjectivity and changes due to your own personal preferences here:

Tier 1-- Highest Reach:
Cornell, UCLA, NYU
(not impossible but challenging to get into!)

Tier 2---Still competitive for you
Duke Fuqua
Michigan Ross (good for product management)
ISB
USC
Tepper (good for your technical interests)
Emory (good for your technical interests)

Tier 3-- Should be better chances
McCombs
Kelley
UNC
(outstanding essays/interview still required !)
(IF you put together outstanding essays/interview/etc, these are not out of the question but not 'easy' either)

Tier 4-- maybe more 'safety' but STILL need good essays etc!!
(all rest of schools)

Possible I missed a few and this is very APPROX! ;) But just a quick attempt at categorizing.

We do offer a 'Ding review' to help dig in deeper into what areas from last year you may need to work on, if you are interested, see http://www.mbamission.com/services.php?package=ding for more info. We also offer a free 30 min consult if you have more q&a at any point as well.

Good luck on you upcoming decisions!

Thanks Jen for the help.

Lahoosaher

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: high tech - product management - indian - male - 700 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 19:16
Expert's post
You are welcome, good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php